EFL Statement: Board Update On Coronavirus | Page 56 | Vital Football

EFL Statement: Board Update On Coronavirus

Well it will help,but really we need to get rid of the social distancing full stop.

Yeah, that will really help the R rate. But I agree, if thousands of vulnerable people have to die so I can watch football that's a totally reasonable compromise.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

Yeah, that will really help the R rate. But I agree, if thousands of vulnerable people have to die so I can watch football that's a totally reasonable compromise.

To me, Harry's post could have been interpreted in two ways.

1: Reducing social distancing to 1m will enable football clubs to partially fill the stands (let's say 25%, hypothetically). Full stands will not be possible until the government restrictions have been fully lifted [at a time that is appropriate]

2: I want to go to football matches, so the government really should get on with lifting all restrictions.

You have emphatically interpreted the statement as #2, but I could easily see the intention being #1.

I wholeheartedly agree with your view though. Despite the apparent good news, I think the relaxed restrictions on many fronts sends out the message that this is nearly over - and ignores the fact that as of June 23rd, the UK currently has the highest number of new cases in Europe.

To me, Harry's post could have been interpreted in two ways.

1: Reducing social distancing to 1m will enable football clubs to partially fill the stands (let's say 25%, hypothetically). Full stands will not be possible until the government restrictions have been fully lifted [at a time that is appropriate]

2: I want to go to football matches, so the government really should get on with lifting all restrictions.

You have emphatically interpreted the statement as #2, but I could easily see the intention being #1.

I wholeheartedly agree with your view though. Despite the apparent good news, I think the relaxed restrictions on many fronts sends out the message that this is nearly over - and ignores the fact that as of June 23rd, the UK currently has the highest number of new cases in Europe.

Harry57 has form. Check his previous posts on coronavirus and you'll find he's not very opposed to mass-death (as long as it's not him, I'm sure).

But there is no evidence of that. There is no correlation between lockdown severity and death rates. In any event I am extrapolating the likely outcome in 3 months time,when the virus will have largely petered out. At worse in the UK it will be daily
deaths stats of single figures.

By then I expect most other countries will be allowing full crowds also. It is worth looking at the stats for Belarus who played football for several weeks after anyone else and deaths rates there are minimal.

If you have any evidence that that lockdown release will lead to "mass deaths" then show it.

And remember no one will be forced to go to a football match but a lot of people do. They will make their own risk assessment which will never be zero.

Last edited:
But there is no evidence of that. There is no correalation between lockdown severity and death rates. In any event I am extrapolating the likely outcome in 3 months time,when the virus will have largely petered out. At worse in the UK it will be daily
stats of single figures.

By then I expect most other countries will be allowing full crowds also. It is worth looking at the stats for Belarus who played football for several weeks after anyone else and deaths rates there are minimal.

If you have any evidence that that lockdown release will lead to "mass deaths" then show it.

And remember no one will be forced to go to a football match but a lot of people do. They will make their own risk assessment which will never be zero.

Well of course there's no evidence. It hasn't happened yet! But we can extrapolate from previous experience that tells us a high community transmission rate has led to 60k deaths.

Do you think the virus is suddenly less infectious and less lethal?

Well of course there's no evidence. It hasn't happened yet! But we can extrapolate from previous experience that tells us a high community transmission rate has led to 60k deaths.

Do you think the virus is suddenly less infectious and less lethal?

By looking at the stats I would say less lethal.

I cannot see where you get 60,000 deaths from. I look at the Worldometer stats which are the same quoted daily on BBC/Sky news and the current figure for the UK is 42,927.

As to lock-down correlation - cite your sources.

Plus, evaluation of that is massively complex as you well know. Our lock-down was instigated after massive community transfer so it appears relatively ineffective even though it probably prevented a lot more deaths.

If you can't actually be honest about how difficult it is to compare the stats, shut the fuck up.

By looking at the stats I would say less lethal.

I cannot see where you get 60,000 deaths from. I look at the Worldometer stats which are the same quoted daily on BBC/Sky news and the current figure for the UK is 42,927.

Excess deaths. A better measure. Again, you misrepresent.

Also, given that lock-down reduces transmission by simple logic, how do you think *not* doing this reduces death rates?

Please show your working.

Your reasoning is utter bollocks. You're saying more infected people results in fewer deaths. Utter rubbish.

Excess deaths. A better measure. Again, you misrepresent.

I think I will stick to the Govt figures for consistency and analysing trends

How do you know the excess deaths is all Covid related ? It is well documented treatment for other diseases has taken a back seat and this could lead to more deaths from other sources. In any event excess deaths can fluctuate wildly without panademic.

I think I will stick to the Govt figures for consistency and analysing trends

How do you know the excess deaths is all Covid related ? It is well documented treatment for other diseases has taken a back seat and this could lead to more deaths from other sources. In any event excess deaths can fluctuate wildly without panademic.

Whataboutery. You don't actually know. But it doesn't matter. Lock-down is proven to reduce transmission and infection rates and that, but definition, reduces deaths from coronavirus.

Until you address that point everything else you say is just bollocks.

By the way, the government figures you seem to live so much predicted 200k plus deaths without lock-down.

So which is it?

Also, given that lock-down reduces transmission by simple logic, how do you think *not* doing this reduces death rates?

Please show your working.

Your reasoning is utter bollocks. You're saying more infected people results in fewer deaths. Utter rubbish.

I am not exactly saying that. I am saying there is no evidence from looking at the worldwide stats that a noticeable increase will result. There is evidence that the disease does not spread so much outside-it mainly spreads inside hospitals and care homes. And I put it to you the recent demonstrations in London will not lead to an increase in infections.never mind about deaths.

I am not exactly saying that. I am saying there is no evidence from looking at the worldwide stats that a noticeable increase will result. There is evidence that the disease does not spread so much outside-it mainly spreads inside hospitals and care homes. And I put it to you the recent demonstrations in London will not lead to an increase in infections.never mind about deaths.

That's not the point you made at all and appears to be a completely different argument.

The problem you have with that argument is that community transmission is not easily controlled.