Aston Villa v Chelsea Match Thread - Sun 21 June - 4.15pm | Page 36 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Chelsea Match Thread - Sun 21 June - 4.15pm

Phil Neville on MOTD2

Villa need to be more positive with their aggression and get higher up the pitch. They are too passive.

So who is wrong Deano?. Fans, pundits, ex players . All of us ?

Is it a job requirement at B6 that you are so blind and stubborn to reality and cannot change things.

So frustrating. Again.

I wasn’t joking when I suggested those lambs running in the gif that Fear posted earlier to be used to show the team how to press quickly and as a unit.

At the start of the season, we pressed high with intent. We seemed to tire with ten minutes left which cost us, but we’ve gone from that to being just powderpuff. I had optimism that this was just match fitness costing us, and once we’d overcome that we’d then get the required wins.

We either press high and challenge, or we have a solid formation where the back four are defenders and there are four in front of them to make it difficult. We are neither

Not strictly the right thread for this, but it has relevance - a lad in my team up north reckoned his Barnsley team beat Sheff Utd last weekend in a friendly.

They looked worse than us, although deserved the points in the game. If we had of played half decent and turned them over, today the pressure was taken off to some degree and we could’ve been more relaxed.

Today was a joke, without repeating myself and others only a fool tries the same thing twice expecting a different result. But it’s making me angry about Thursday and that equally turgid display

It does all come down to quality of players though. I will always say that .

Only last season Smith beat Lampard 3 times aggregate score 9-1. We had better players.

Lampard now has better players to work with, they have comfortably beaten us.

But if you have lesser quality players you have to make it up with motivation, endeavour and hard work.

my match ratings, I know no one cares but helps as catharsis to get over the dismal display today.

Nyland 5 - he made a couple of saves but also nearly dropped another clanger. Certainly does not inspire any confidence in the back line when he’s on the pitch

Konsa 6 - fairly solid game. Not too much came from their left

Hause 7 - did well to score. Won a few headers and tackles

Mings 7 - also did well at the back. Won a lot and didn’t offer their attackers much

Targett 4 - offered little attacking and gave their wingers too much space including for the cross on their first goal although not helped by poor support from the forward players.

Mcginn 1.5 forgot he was playing. 16 touches in 85 minutes, not good enough. I hope he’s lacking fitness because if not that was just woeful. Only way he could have got a worse rating was if he was directly culpable for a goal or had been sent off.

Hourihane 2 - slightly more touches than Mcginn at 24, still nowhere near enough impact. At least he had a shot and had a better pass completion than Mcginn

Luiz 7 - the only midfielder who looked competent which is a surprise because usually he looks the most disinterested. He made a few tackles and interceptions and also put in the excellent cross for our goal.

El Ghazi 2 - about the same as Mcginn. In fact literally the same on touches of the ball with an embarrassing 16 - although at least he had 15 less minutes to accumulate that woeful number

Grealish 4 - sub par performance again. Let them have too much space for their first goal, failed to provide anything going forwards. At least he won a few free kicks which we could have done better from.

Davis 4 - worked hard but nothing he can do when the ball is whacked up the pitch nowhere near him

It does all come down to quality of players though. I will always say that .

Only last season Smith beat Lampard 3 times aggregate score 9-1. We had better players.

Lampard now has better players to work with, they have comfortably beaten us.

But if you have lesser quality players you have to make it up with motivation, endeavour and hard work.

This is why I'm concerned Smith has retreated into himself against his own philosophy Melon. It's never going to work, our actual strengths are attack, not park the bus. We don't have those kinds of player.

I disagree on better players, but I'll give you more experienced players (Tammy aside).

We needed to go at Chelsea, use their lack of sharpness and make them panic - we sat back, allowed them to settle, dictate, get confident and keep their momentum.

The exact opposite to what we did to Sheff U.

Grealish anonymous, El Ghazi anonymous, Hourihane anonymous, Mcginn anonymous. Quite clearly not going to a result with that many no shows. Thought Targett and Grealish offered far too much space on their right, which was a major contributor to their goal, second goal poor marking in midfield with Mcginn nowhere to be seen and Hourihane too slow to close down the space meant he could only deflect it in rather than block it entirely. Going forwards the wing backs and wingers offered nothing, not sure if Grealish was too heavily marked or if he was just playing in second gear either way his impact was non existent but also shame on the other players who failed to step up.

Man of the match Luiz for me. Followed by Mings and Hause and then Davis and Samatta. The rest not good enough. Nyland made a few good saves but almost put it in his own net again simply no excuse to have a keeper who makes a howler nearly every game.

On to the manager, initially I found it odd we went for the same starting 11. Chelsea are nowhere near the same proposition as Sheffield so don’t understand why he refused to change the team or tactics. To me it was obvious we needed someone tougher and more hard working in midfield than Hourihane, Nakamba would have been ideal but wasn’t put on until we were losing - a waste of time. El Ghazi once again not in the game but persists with the same system and then just switches like-for-like for the equally inept Trezeguet, hardly quality game management that is. Absolutely sick of throwing away winning positions, it’s disgusting and clearly shows a lack of in-game management ability rather than a lack of quality... if we were completely devoid of quality we wouldn’t be leading at all but to consistently throw it away shows something not right.

Well said.

In fairness to Jack, he did put a shift in, but it was tracking back and defensive work rather than where we need him. On an attacking front, better from Targett I thought but he was left so exposed at the back it was frightening.
Phil Neville on MOTD saying how chelsea targeted Targett! And Grealish to be fair... ...knowing how easy it was to get crosses in on that side.But we were as bad all over the pitch. The marking for the goals non existent as usual.

We've been consistently shit all season and incredibly naive. We are getting worse though. The only hope now is a new manager bounce type situation, without that we go down embarrassingly without a fight. Next up steve Bruce a man we treated badly , he will be happy to turn the knife and rightly so.

I posted before the game that 3 in the middle restricts the natural outlets you get when you look up and have a winger and two forwards to look for, typically. We look up and have striker who’s man marked by two centres halves and one winger as an option, which is why we pass backward so much to the back four.

The other thing I believe is that 3 in the middle allows for some to be passengers. Hourihane is always a passenger and SJM (benefit of the doubt) was today too.

We can’t keep a system that carries people. I disagree to whoever said above “changing formation is not the answer” because going two in the middle will weed out those being carried as competition increases. It’s all about system and tactics, trying to get the team to play “football” is a waste of time now.
But isn't it all about the players not being good enough. The likes of Hourihane Targett and El Ghazi are not good enough at this level. Defensively we have been shocking all season. Palace play with three up top and they seem to be doing ok. Then again their midfield and defence is more solid than ours.

Without crowds to influence the outcome most of the time the team with the better players will win. It is also the reason home advantage has been nullified. Looking at our fixtures its also another reason why we are in the crap. Im normally an optimist where the Villa are concerned. I think i prefered it without football to be honest 🙂 I had forgot how stressful it is.

But isn't it all about the players not being good enough. The likes of Hourihane Targett and El Ghazi are not good enough at this level. Defensively we have been shocking all season. Palace play with three up top and they seem to be doing ok. Then again their midfield and defence is more solid than ours.

Nope it isn't. Part of the hype about DS was that he was good at picking players and improving them. If that was true then I expected to see reasonably steady improvement in our players, and the team as a whole, throughout the season. I wasn't worried about the somewhat unsteady start because I thought that in time we'd see the benefits of good coaching.

Players probably have improved a bit, but mainly by the experience of playing in the PL. I think a lot, maybe most, of them have potential. But we're not seeing it. Give Guardiola this bunch of players at the start of the season and where would we be now? Probably mid table, which would have been a good return for this season. Same with Poch.

We got to the cup final because we deserved to get to the cup final. The players were good enough for that.

I cant see another win this season if im honest with myself. I can barely see a couple of draws. At best.
That could be me being negative and pessimistic as i am prone to that.
But it could also be me watching that shower week in week out and calling a spade a spade.

I've been very down the last few months with all the lockdown and now these BLM twats causing riots and shootings and god know what else, the last thing i needed was half-cocked football to watch especially my team.

I'm now more down than i was in total lockdown, which I prefer to have to watch this crap.
I don't know what the neutral fan made of our game but I bet they switched off long before HT .

I've been very down the last few months with all the lockdown and now these BLM twats causing riots and shootings and god know what else, the last thing i needed was half-cocked football to watch especially my team.

I'm now more down than i was in total lockdown, which I prefer to have to watch this crap.
I don't know what the neutral fan made of our game but I bet they switched off long before HT .

Shoot me down, but I actually thought it was a good game to watch for the neutral. I watched the first half of the Merseyside Derby and that was boring as hell.

Although I couldn’t care what the neutral thinks, give me a dull game and a 1-1 draw any day of the week at the moment at home to a good side.

Thinking about it that was as bad as we've played since we got whipped by Man City 1-6 just without the goals going in

Then maybe we have improved after all then lol

I don't know whether it's wise to read too much into these first couple of games given the lockdown context but it does look like nothing has changed for us after a full year with these players now and that's obviously problematic.

We look odds-on to go down now but even just one, flukey, win could change the picture completely ...