Birds and Wildlife in your garden | Vital Football

Birds and Wildlife in your garden

Impecunious

Vital Squad Member
Wasn't sure whether to post in Rob's gardening thread but it can always be merged.
We've had two pairs of blackbirds successfully rearing more than one brood this year, one in the climbing rose above the kitchen window, which has been a delight in watching the non-stop efforts to keep mouths fed. The other in a tree at the other end of the garden, and we've got to be able recognise the birds as they search for 'delicacies'.
In fact we've never seen so many young as this year, sparrows and starlings in the mix but nothing more exotic than that.
We're suburban with no direct access to countryside, so apart from occasional calling cards from hedgehogs we don't see animal life (though it's said you're never more than a few yards from a rat) and it would be really interesting to hear what visitors you get.

We have a solitary bee nesting site in the wall. We're hoping to get more bees visiting as we plant the back-yard out with pots, etc. Saw a large bumble bee hovering around our hanging baskets today.

There are at least two spider species living in nooks and crannies in the wall as well. A lot of gulls in the area, mostly herring gulls, I think.

Very urban, though, so not much else.

It’s always nice to get a bit of wildlife in the garden, we don’t actively encourage birds by feeding them as we have a couple of (mainly) house cats but they do enjoy a bird bath.
Lots of sparrows, starlings and blackbirds, a couple of robins and have some housemartins nesting in my gable. Sparrows are also squatting in an old houseMartin nest. There’s an occasional song thrush too.
I rescued a baby blue tit uninjured from said cat last week after it fluttered onto my lawn. It sat on my finger for a few minutes before it returned to its mum. we’ve also got an enormous toad that makes an appearance after dark.

Last edited:
Sparrows are also squatting in an old houseMartin nest. .[/QUOTE said:
We live in an urban area, but adjacent to a canal. We had housemartins nesting over a few years, then sparrows took over the nest and the martins have never been back

My wife maintains a bird feeder and we have sparrows, greenfinches and goldfinches, blue tits and coal tits feeding regularly, and some, we think, nesting in the garden - squirrels can be a pain. Blackbirds nesting, with a couple of young this year. Pigeons as unwanted visitors. The very occasional visit from a sparrow hawk

We have a small pond and keep coming across the odd frog hiding. Often see pipistrelle bats in the evening at this time of year, but my wife has gone off those since coronavirus started

Front garden occasionally dug by squirrels and foxes hiding things

We have a nesting pair of wrens in some ivy. I've seen the fledgling once too. I get an earful from the parents if I go anywhere near!

We get blue tits, starlings, robins and blackbirds visiting our feeders too. The feeder kept getting raided by a greedy squirrel too (pretty much emptying it each time) so it's hanging on a pole instead now (the feeder, not the squirrel).

Live in effectively Greater Lincoln so part rural part suburban.
No nests but since I’ve been supplying sunflower hearts have been overwhelmed with Goldfinches now bringing young ones. Also Green & Chaffinch every day and my favourite a pair of Bullfinches most days now with a youngster accompanying.

It’s always nice to get a bit of wildlife in the garden, we don’t actively encourage birds by feeding them as we have a couple of (mainly) house cats but they do enjoy a bird bath.
Lots of sparrows, starlings and blackbirds, a couple of robins and have some housemartins nesting in my gable. Sparrows are also squatting in an old houseMartin nest. There’s an occasional song thrush too.
I rescued a baby blue tit uninjured from said cat last week after it fluttered onto my lawn. It sat on my finger for a few minutes before it returned to its mum. we’ve also got an enormous toad that makes an appearance after dark.

That`s no way to talk about your next door neighbour......who could be a potential peeping tom.

I put seeds, fat balls and peanuts out for the sparrows, various tits, robins, wren and finches to eat and apple for the blackbirds.
Almost becoming a full time job preventing either the magpies or the 'giant' wood pigeons gobbling up all the seeds. Them, and the squirrel eating all the peanuts.
I've a visiting collared dove half the size of the wood pigeons who chases them off.

Animals are strange. My dog will attack anything larger than a transit van if it makes a noise,or the Akita across the road but cowered in fear as the washing line swung back and forth, as the wood pigeon landed on it before entering the seed box.