Only in America... | Page 9 | Vital Football

Only in America...

But also for the record, as I'm a sentimental old sod as well as a steely eyed cadre, I have no doubt that you genuinely oppose racism, hulloutpost.

I'm going soft.

There are obviously very diverse views on this subject, even among those who think alike on the issues in America. My wife and I agree on the unacceptable way the police acted on Floyd, and our total disdain for Trump (and agree on what the f**k was Teresa May doing inviting him to a royal visit?), but she doesn't accept the destruction of the statue of Edward Colston in Bristol as acceptable - if people feel so strongly they should lobby, petition etc, it takes longer, but is more powerful when the statue is removed - I support peaceful protest, but support what the protesters did. But who, then, is the arbiter of what is/is not acceptable? - the biggest crowd? - surely not. Should Penny Lane in Liverpool, for example, be renamed?

Slave trader James Penny was from Cumbria wasn't he? I'm not sure Lennon & McCartney (the original one) would've wrote a song of glowing nostalgia if there was anything controversial within its history.

Slave trader James Penny was from Cumbria wasn't he? I'm not sure Lennon & McCartney (the original one) would've wrote a song of glowing nostalgia if there was anything controversial within its history.

I think there have been moves in Liverpool over the years to have the street renamed

I suspect that the officer stood on George Floyd's legs might need a new lawyer, because this one's defence is miserable.

The attorney for one of the officer's charged in George Floyd's death says that if the public is so concerned about Floyd's death, why didn't any citizen witnessing the incident intervene.

I suspect that the officer stood on George Floyd's legs might need a new lawyer, because this one's defence is miserable.

The attorney for one of the officer's charged in George Floyd's death says that if the public is so concerned about Floyd's death, why didn't any citizen witnessing the incident intervene.

Yes, I can see "intervening" with a bunch of armed cops arresting someone would have ended especially well, I imagine. Especially if you were black.

Do we think the name George Floyd will become linked to a step change in American race relations alongside that of Rosa Parks?

That Statue being pulled down in Bristol was very significant to me and I welcomed it .Its time that the history of our nation is exposed and as a lie and rewritten . The British ruling classes thrived on slavery and subjugation. The glory of the British Empire is a myth. We subjugated nations , caused untold death ,famine and misery and stripped each Nations assets and took away their freedom .Most of these counties were the birth places of the forefathers, grandparents and Parents of BAME British citizens. Britain, we are told became the richest Nation in the world due to its Empire .Did our Forefathers see this wealth? No , as is still the case the wealth was not equally distributed and the general population of Britain lived in abject poverty whilst the young men took the Kings shilling to become cannon fodder .These impoverished and uneducated young men fought, killed and died in foreign fields to preserve the Empire and its wealth for royalty and ruling classes .Yet we have been brain washed for generations that we as a Nation as a result of having an Empire are superior to the rest of the world. There is no mention of the social injustices and poverty in our own Nation or the people from the Nations we subjugated. We are taught that these Nations we were reliant on British rule and would descend into chaos if we left . These Nations were inferior and their citizens were ridiculed .No wonder when the first immigrants arrived to our shores post war they were met with such intolerance and racism. Another example .At the onset of the second world war we are taught that Britain bravely stood alone against Nazi oppression to preserve and uphold freedom whilst the rest of the world stood by .Nonsense .Russia and its massive contribution has been air brushed out of modern History. Other Nations apart from USA don't even get a mention . However our hands were as dirty as Hilters .When the United Kingdom declared war on Nazi Germany it possessed numerous crown colonies, protectorates and the Indian Empire. It also maintained unique political ties to four semi-independent DominionsAustralia, Canada, South Africa, and New Zealand as part of the Commonwealth. In 1939 the British Empire was a global power, with political and economic control of 25% of the world's population, and 30% of its land mass. Following the end of the second world War Britain reclaimed lost Nations and territories .An example is Malay. Malay was part of the British Empire until it became part of the Japanese Empire only to return to British rule when the war ended.As a Nation it is understandable that Malay like others sought independence from British oppression . Beginning the onset of National empowerment within the Empire and the resolve of the Fore fathers of many BAME British Citizens to gain freedom . So let them statues roll I say and lets get our story straight or we can never have equality in this Nation.

That Statue being pulled down in Bristol was very significant to me and I welcomed it .Its time that the history of our nation is exposed and as a lie and rewritten . The British ruling classes thrived on slavery and subjugation. The glory of the British Empire is a myth. We subjugated nations , caused untold death ,famine and misery and stripped each Nations assets and took away their freedom .Most of these counties were the birth places of the forefathers, grandparents and Parents of BAME British citizens. Britain, we are told became the richest Nation in the world due to its Empire .Did our Forefathers see this wealth? No , as is still the case the wealth was not equally distributed and the general population of Britain lived in abject poverty whilst the young men took the Kings shilling to become cannon fodder .These impoverished and uneducated young men fought, killed and died in foreign fields to preserve the Empire and its wealth for royalty and ruling classes .Yet we have been brain washed for generations that we as a Nation as a result of having an Empire are superior to the rest of the world. There is no mention of the social injustices and poverty in our own Nation or the people from the Nations we subjugated. We are taught that these Nations we were reliant on British rule and would descend into chaos if we left . These Nations were inferior and their citizens were ridiculed .No wonder when the first immigrants arrived to our shores post war they were met with such intolerance and racism. Another example .At the onset of the second world war we are taught that Britain bravely stood alone against Nazi oppression to preserve and uphold freedom whilst the rest of the world stood by .Nonsense .Russia and its massive contribution has been air brushed out of modern History. Other Nations apart from USA don't even get a mention . However our hands were as dirty as Hilters .When the United Kingdom declared war on Nazi Germany it possessed numerous crown colonies, protectorates and the Indian Empire. It also maintained unique political ties to four semi-independent DominionsAustralia, Canada, South Africa, and New Zealand as part of the Commonwealth. In 1939 the British Empire was a global power, with political and economic control of 25% of the world's population, and 30% of its land mass. Following the end of the second world War Britain reclaimed lost Nations and territories .An example is Malay. Malay was part of the British Empire until it became part of the Japanese Empire only to return to British rule when the war ended.As a Nation it is understandable that Malay like others sought independence from British oppression . Beginning the onset of National empowerment within the Empire and the resolve of the Fore fathers of many BAME British Citizens to gain freedom . So let them statues roll I say and lets get our story straight or we can never have equality in this Nation.

Cool story bro...

Fantastic read. I think much of this is known, but it's good to hear it straight from the, er, pig's mouth, as it were.

To an extent, this kind of thing affects all institutions. It's why accountability, independent robust oversight and effective sanctions are needed. Let's call it open, democratic regulation, shall we?

I mean, in this country, it wasn't that long ago that the police investigated themselves around these issues. What could possibly go wrong?

But you also have to wonder about a society that produces such a cop-culture in the first place. Something has gone quite seriously wrong when you look at the levels of violence in America.