Bands You Wish You had seen... | Page 3 | Vital Football

Bands You Wish You had seen...

My mum often tells of seeing The Rolling Stones play in Lincoln in the mid-60's at the old ABC.
Before my time that but one that would have been great to have been at whereas nowadays the best part of 500 quid to see them is not something I'm willing to fork out

And I hate the idea of these "arena" gigs. Didn't see the Stones or Beatles at the ABC, but went to some "lesser" acts eg Billy Fury, The Tornadoes - there were usually several acts, and there were two "sittings", one starting around 6 or half past, and the next at around 8 or half past. Much prefer the smaller venues (like the ABC), where you can see the act without needing a screen and hear without needing massive amps and speakers around the venue - I'm an old git, aren't I

May seem sad, but an act I wish I had seen was Mat Monroe.

An act we didn't see for years and wish we'd seen more of was local to us, the Climax Blues Band. Eventually went to see them (at a small venue in Lichfield) and they were terrific - we made up our minds we would see them again, but unfortunately their lead, Colin Cooper died

Bit of an unfortunate common thread there

Anyone heard of Be bop Deluxe? One of my greatest bands ever, straight out of Wakefield!.
I thought they were way ahead of their time and in Bill Nelson they had one of the most gifted guitarist this country's ever produced.
Never got to see them live although they did play close by at Newark in the mid 70's.
I'd still pay good money to see Bill Nelson live now.

If floyd music is your thing check out a band called Air Bag on YouTube. I think they are a Swedish or Norwegian band who used to be a floyd cover band but now do their own material. Closest band I have ever heard to to the pink floyd style of music but have some good original material.

I saw The Clash at the Top Rank, Sheffield during the London Calling tour - think it was the Top Rank, unbelievable! Saw Thin Lizzy a few times at Sheffield City Hall, my favourite band. Would really have liked to have seen Glen Campbell, just missed out on that one. Had the chance to see Gary Moore too at Hull - but car broke down... Went to Live Aid so got to see many ‘Once in a lifetime‘ brilliant bands.

Yep, ELO were one that I looked at. £125 is way too much for me. I sometimes think, I could go out and buy the entire back catalogue of some bands for the price of a ticket!
saw ELO headline at Hyde Park a few years ago, think it was theor first on the come back? They were superb.

What an experience it must have been watching The Who in their brilliant, aggressive mid-60s pomp, with Keith Moon on drums (with prerequisite smoke bombs too). That must have been fantastic. And watching The Kinks, preparing to see Dave and Ray 'kick off' (or indeed any of the band as drummer Mick once nearly killed Dave on stage) at any time would have been tremendous,

I'd love to have seen Zepplin & Pink Floyd in the 70's and the first Kate Bush tour.
My first real gig was ELP at Empire Pool Wembley in April 1974. I was 17 and went down from Lincoln with a mate and stayed over somewhere.........happy days

What an experience it must have been watching The Who in their brilliant, aggressive mid-60s pomp, with Keith Moon on drums (with prerequisite smoke bombs too). That must have been fantastic. And watching The Kinks, preparing to see Dave and Ray 'kick off' (or indeed any of the band as drummer Mick once nearly killed Dave on stage) at any time would have been tremendous,

Agreed. Although wasn't the classic Who gig regarded as being at Leeds Uni SU sometime in the early 70s?