EFL Statement: Board Update On Coronavirus | Page 43 | Vital Football

EFL Statement: Board Update On Coronavirus

This is like the end of a sketch on the Spike Milligan Q series................................"what are we gonna do now?, what are we gonna do now?, what are we gonna do now?".......

My feeling is that clubs will vote the following way:

Coventry, Rotherham, Bolton, Southend, Accrington, Shrewsbury, Burton, Blackpool, Bristol Rovers, Rochdale, AFCW and Lincoln will probably go PPG.

Oxford, Sunderland, Posh, Fleetwood, Ipswich, Sunderland, Portsmouth, Tranmere to play on.

MK have said they'll just go with a majority, Doncaster have been quiet but have games in hand, Evans seemed to indicate his stance was to play on but whether that's Gillingham's we'll see and then there's Wycombe. It will be interesting to see what they do because they can guarantee themselves a PO place with a vote for PPG. I'm not sure what their run-in was like but given the size and/or strength of the teams around them, you wonder whether they'll vote that way instead of going for autos and missing out altogether.

That's 12 PPG, 8 to play on and 3 you couldn't really guess due to games in hand (or Evans living in fantasy land about Gills PO push still being on).
Revisiting this, it seems Wycombe will vote to end. Doncaster, still quiet and Evans thoughts on playing on don't seem to match that of their Chairman, who's obviously looking at it from a financial point of view with little to play for.

I make it 13 probably in favour of ending.

it is a mess - end the season now and tell Peterborough and Tranmere to get stuffed.

there will probably be more unfortunate soles die of CV-19 between now and when this gets resolved than will attend a home match for those sides. They need to get a grip of reality that in times like this they should shut up moaning and follow the fine example by Port Vale.

It would be bloody hilarious if the only two who voted to continue the season was that pair.
Their self interest is embarrassing.
I take it neither club has furloughed anyone and their players ready to return to action at the drop of a hat?
Thought not!

This is like the end of a sketch on the Spike Milligan Q series................................"what are we gonna do now?, what are we gonna do now?, what are we gonna do now?".......

And for our younger posters who may have missed the Q series:

it is a mess - end the season now and tell Peterborough and Tranmere to get stuffed.

there will probably be more unfortunate soles die of CV-19 between now and when this gets resolved than will attend a home match for those sides. They need to get a grip of reality that in times like this they should shut up moaning and follow the fine example by Port Vale.
I am not sure Port Vale are totally acting without a nod to their own self interest. They simple could not play behind closed doors?

I am not sure Port Vale are totally acting without a nod to their own self interest. They simple could not play behind closed doors?

That's more with regard to them currently being 8th in L2 but voting to end it now for economic reasons for all rather than Peterborough's personal policy of sod the cost to everyone else. Yes they are looking after themselves but also considering the bigger picture. Posh clearly are only thinking about number one

Maybe, the self-interest of some simply matches that of many others. The key point with Port Vale is that they sit 1 spot outside the play-off. To be fair, I think the owners might have given a nod towards the financial impact point. They certainly haven't acted like the L1 big money bullies.

The EFL have been very weak in making decisions on this issue, which is par for the course. It is a league of 3 divisions which must surely agree to conclude the current season in the same way.

So despite Tranmere hiding behind this magic formula they have, it's basically vote to relegate Tranmere, or relegate AFCW? Also, why would L1 PO sides vote to increase the PO places and lower their chances of promotion from 25% to 12.5%?

And why add other options, which will make a 51% majority more difficult to attain?

I've also just looked at AFCW's remaining fixtures, and they're probably seen as easier than Tranmere's so the latter are proposing to relegate AFCW on a very similar basis that they opposed themselves being relegated.

Rotherham aren't going to go for that, and I'm not sure the current four PO sides will either (it'll be interesting to see if the '6' break away from the play-on model and team up to make the '6' plus Tranmere an '8' plus Tranmere, which brings them closer to the 12 required but I think that's a tall ask).

I hope we go for straight PPG.

Why would anyone vote for that in L2 as well seen as the current 4 PO sides have been back in training for nearly two weeks and gone through their testing (twice)?

Last edited:
So despite Tranmere hiding behind this magic formula they have, it's basically vote to relegate us, or relegate AFCW? Also, why would L1 PO sides vote to increase the PO places and lower their chances of promotion from 25% to 12.5%?

And why add other options, which will make a 51% majority more difficult to attain?

I've also just looked at AFCW's remaining fixtures, and they're probably seen as easier than Tranmere's so the latter are proposing to relegate AFCW on a very similar basis that they opposed themselves being relegated.

Rotherham aren't going to go for that, and I'm not sure the current four PO sides will either (it'll be interesting to see if the '6' break away from the play-on model and team up to make the '6' plus Tranmere an '8' plus Tranmere, which brings them closer to the 12 required but I think that's a tall ask).

I hope we go for straight PPG.

Why would anyone vote for that in L2 as well seen as the current 4 PO sides have been back in training for nearly two weeks and gone through their testing (twice)?

Why are we getting dragged back into it.

not seen the proposal or heard Liam on the radio.

How does it affect us.

i thought there proposal was to just relegate Bolton and Southend.

Why are we getting dragged back into it.

not seen the proposal or heard Liam on the radio.

How does it affect us.

i thought there proposal was to just relegate Bolton and Southend.

I don't think we are. The 'us'referred to by Luke is Tranmere as in what they are proposing. Ultimately their solution ( which I've not read ) shafts Wimbledon. I do stand to be corrected on that though