Football During Coronavirus Crisis | Page 155 | Vital Football

Football During Coronavirus Crisis

I read on sky sports news that on average our players cover the least distance out of all the clubs in the league. There has to be something in this in terms of the effort and work they are putting in in a match.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/11996016/premier-leagues-running-records

Shocking when you think they should be battling for their lives at the bottom and generally we have less possession.
Think you'll find it's because we've been defending mostly, so we've only had to cover half the pitch 🤣🤣🤣

Tyrone's been speaking about the restart:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52866678

Straight talking, dead right. It is about money.

Of course it is about the money, for one thing, the industry needs to earn the money to pay these players high wages.

Did the players help in consultation and agree to take lower salaries? Nope.

The whole of football is about money, for the owners, CEO's/Directors, the broadcasters and press AND the footballers.

No point them trying to come over as the victims here, they are the biggest expense.

Been amazed how many players, judging by the fact I am sure (sic) they have all been following the guidelines like everyone else, how many have tested positive for COVID (only going on the links sirdennis and others have put in here). How on earth did they manage to catch this whilst staying home, protecting the NHS and saving lives?

The simple fact is, if these players don't want to be in a money driven industry, they can leave it, and go and do some altruistic work elsewhere.

Agree about the money but to be fair it is something like under 1% of players tested who have been found positive and who knows how they caught the virus. They could have got it in the supermarket or something, I would imagine given the numbers a few people would have observed the lock down and still caught it.

Thought you'd posted a few links about players being tested positive, in this thread, as if it is anything that unusual though basically.

And also, thinking about it, the integrity of finishing the league, and also the fact it is about money, is not mutually exclusive. Of course they want a finished 'product' if not it makes the 'product' iffy and that then affects the money.

As said, I didn't see much/any (?) altruism from players or managers (Bournemouth dude aside) ... that is fine, it is their choice, their contracts, their money, but lets not start being surprised football at the top level if money driven, it was obvious and I don't see players moaning when they get their fantastic contracts, or image rights, or sponsorship deals. Where do they think that money comes from? The old money tree maybe?

Thought you'd posted a few links about players being tested positive, in this thread, as if it is anything that unusual though basically.

And also, thinking about it, the integrity of finishing the league, and also the fact it is about money, is not mutually exclusive. Of course they want a finished 'product' if not it makes the 'product' iffy and that then affects the money.

As said, I didn't see much/any (?) altruism from players or managers (Bournemouth dude aside) ... that is fine, it is their choice, their contracts, their money, but lets not start being surprised football at the top level if money driven, it was obvious and I don't see players moaning when they get their fantastic contracts, or image rights, or sponsorship deals. Where do they think that money comes from? The old money tree maybe?

I probably did , but more in reporting the results of the testing more than commenting on what it meant.

Interestingly the second round of EFL testing produced more positive tests than the first round. Again I don't know what it says , whether it the results of the general restrictions being lifted or a result of the start of contact training.

Defender Mings, 27, also claimed players are "commodities in the game".

Join the club, it is called being an employee. We are all commodities, and if we don't do what we have to, we lose our job. They are no different, other than the impressive salary (good for them, I'd take it as well if offered, this isn't jealousy) but they aren't special or different to the rest of us. The supermarket staff are commodities as well, they've done us proud through this pandemic doing the jobs they are (low) paid to do.