EFL Statement: Board Update On Coronavirus | Page 37 | Vital Football

EFL Statement: Board Update On Coronavirus

Interesting article on the BBC sports website from the Huddersfield owner saying 50-60 efl clubs could go bust. For me It sounds a logical comment when talking about next season, saying players will have to take pay cuts or otherwise they won’t have a club to be paid wages from.

Presume that includes Managers as well !!

Recent developments in my view, have made a September restart with crowds more likely. Far a start there is increasing focus on the cost of lockdown-a recent article by Liam Halligan in the Telegraph put the cost of the existing rescue commitments at £B 125. In addition to that you have the lost tax revenue such as income tax,VAT and corporation tax which is estimated at £B 120. Add those together then you have £B 245,which is a mind boggling figure.To put that figure in perspective the cost would cover 2 new NHS's and change left over. Now this alone is putting huge pressure on the Govt-and the potential lost tax from the TV companies and football as a whole ,on top of this,is enormous. I think you can forget about a lockdown extension,or a lockdown mark 2,the country cannot afford it, not to mention the psychological issues.

You also have the gradual petering out of the virus with the likely UK death toll to be in single figures by the end of June/early July.

Then you have the Cummings saga.Irrespective on your views of him,I think this latest development made the Govts policy of continued lockdown far less credible.

I do wonder if certain age groups will be allowed in from whenever the new season starts then more age groups added?
I do hope you're right mate about no second spike if no increase in deaths by early June we could see more restrictions lifted.
I work in the NHS and we're very much in a weird limbo desperate to catch up on the operations and appointments but we can't due to the fear of a second spike.

The current Huddersfield owner was at Southport previously no wonder the Huddersfield fans are worried about him having the cash to finance a championship side.

I think they'll look to compress next season somehow, and starting later is something I think they'll do to try and minimise time, if any, that its behind closed doors. I'm thinking along the same lines as Harry though, and come September/ beginning of October we'll all be back in.

I do wonder if certain age groups will be allowed in from whenever the new season starts then more age groups added?
I do hope you're right mate about no second spike if no increase in deaths by early June we could see more restrictions lifted.
I work in the NHS and we're very much in a weird limbo desperate to catch up on the operations and appointments but we can't due to the fear of a second spike.
I'm thinking along the same lines regarding age.
I've heard more people over 90 have died than all the people under 65 combined.
Maybe maximum age for entry will be 50. Increasing if nothing develops.

I'm thinking along the same lines regarding age.
I've heard more people over 90 have died than all the people under 65 combined.
Maybe maximum age for entry will be 50. Increasing if nothing develops.
I'm over 60 and healthier than a lot of under 50s, so sod that for a game of soldiers!

I think they'll look to compress next season somehow, and starting later is something I think they'll do to try and minimise time, if any, that its behind closed doors. I'm thinking along the same lines as Harry though, and come September/ beginning of October we'll all be back in.

In my opinion the new season should not start before fans of all ages are allowed in. This is meant to be an entertainment industry after all. Financially, Clubs like City cannot afford to do otherwise. Like others have said on here, maybe October is a possibility, and supporters will be left with the decision for non football reasons, whether to attend or not. A difficult choice for many.

Not sure how we would do social distancing at the game?
Could the 4000 renewed season ticket holders be accommodated? Then there's those like me who haven't renewed yet?
2500ish more there, thankless task.

I think we may all come to live with a way of live that simply balances an increased number of deaths across the community with wanting to live as near a pre-Covid way of life as possible. Some people will (quite reasonably) take additional precautions because of their personal circumstances, but I suspect most will slip back into pre-Covid patterns of behaviour and the government won't be in a position to stop them.

Last edited:
I guess it's also possible winter will see a resurgence of the virus which, of course, coincides with the bulk of the football season.

Bound to unless a cure/vaccine is found, afterall that's how regular flu is kept in check each winter or we'd be in lockdown far more often.