furloughed | Vital Football

furloughed

The pledge

Vital Reserves Team
how many of you are self employed and applied for the government grant. ?

How many of u run your own business and have asked the government to subsidise your employees wages to the tune of 80 %.

I've been furloughed, but before being sent home I was given the job of advising the company on the furlough process. There's a fair chance I'll be made redundant when the scheme ends

is the help u get sufficient. bloody awful time for everyone. I know the self employed grant has been abused, but there again there will always be people who abuse any system designed to help those in need

is the help u get sufficient. bloody awful time for everyone. I know the self employed grant has been abused, mainly because the government makes it easy to obtain the money.

It' sufficient for me at the moment. But I feel it's just a case of kicking the can down the road, many jobs are no longer viable with social distancing. My employers can't continue as 90% of our turnover relies on people being close together. Most people put on it were happy to be put on it because in the short term it's money for nothing, but perhaps they'd have been more vocal about the whole distancing thing if they knew that when the scheme ends they'll be out of a job

I got self employment 'furlough', don't worry I paid all my taxes.

About 50% of my income in the last 4 years has been self employed. Therefore I don't get a huge amount but helps keep my head above water.

Last edited:
My mate got or is getting £4500. He is a self employed carpenter who works for an employment agency.

The self employed grant is a difficult one.
The government (or HMRC) have said that you can claim even if you carry on working as long as you have been ‘adversely affected by Covid’.
It would be impossible for HMRC to pro rota by number of days lost, number of hours lost, income lost etc.
Therefore it is a simple yes or no, have you been adversely affected?
If the answer is yes, as will be the case in most instances, then you get full 80%, if not you get nothing.
HMRC have paid three months.
The grant is taxable by the way and needs to go your 20/21 tax return.

It is also only on profit, so if you haven't declared income or over claimed expenses then you won't get as much. Which goes some way to help limit the self employed people who've abused the system previously. As mentioned it's also taxed.

It is also only on profit, so if you haven't declared income or over claimed expenses then you won't get as much. Which goes some way to help limit the self employed people who've abused the system previously. As mentioned it's also taxed.
That is true, but on the flip side if your profits were more than £50,000 for 2018/19 then you get nothing.

Heard Paul Scally on Talk Sport this afternoon. He said apart from the £140k needed for testing, it would cost the club another £100k to un-furlough the players and staff. We don’t have the money to do that.
Consequently he fully expects League 1 to vote to end the season this week.