Today is the 5th anniversary of WOODY's passing | Vital Football

Today is the 5th anniversary of WOODY's passing

One of my all time favourite players when he got the ball at his feet he looked to shoot a skill too many players these days lack or have coached out of them. Superb corners and a loyal one club man,well at least until he had to go to the States.

Looking back when Dad used to take me to reserve games my favourite player was John Docherty. When he managed to get himself into the first team I was annoyed that a youngster called Woodward ousted him from the team and told Dad JD would soon win back his place. How wrong I was.

Woodys partnership with Currie is still one of my most enjoyable memories of my time watching the Blades. No doubt Alan is still taking the corners for Blades Heaven FC.

One of my all time favourite players when he got the ball at his feet he looked to shoot a skill too many players these days lack or have coached out of them. Superb corners and a loyal one club man,well at least until he had to go to the States.

Looking back when Dad used to take me to reserve games my favourite player was John Docherty. When he managed to get himself into the first team I was annoyed that a youngster called Woodward ousted him from the team and told Dad JD would soon win back his place. How wrong I was.

Woodys partnership with Currie is still one of my most enjoyable memories of my time watching the Blades. No doubt Alan is still taking the corners for Blades Heaven FC.
Woody's the best corner kick taker i've ever seen Longy.TC and Woody were a magnificent duo,my 2 favrit players.UTMPB

RIP Woody. Finest striker of the ball I’ve ever seen in a Blades shirt.

Today’s the second anniversary of my sister Barbara passing, where did that time go? UTB our Bar ⚔️
Chuffin hell Gray i dint realise 2 years have passed since your Babara passed away.I've said before i loved what they did with some of their lottery winnings and i'm sure she was Diamond of a person.RIP Barbara Wragg.UTMPB

My childhood heroes. Woody and TC. Never be bettered.
Thaz got em wrong way round in my view but yes they are the top 2 in my time as a BLADE Sean,absolute QUALITY,add Sir Len and that's my best 3.How the hell they only won 17 England caps(all TC's) between em is amazin(and not in a good way) i know Sir Alf dint play wi wingers very often(if at all) but Sir Len was CLASS and shud've been capped and TC shud've had more than 17 caps.UTMPB

Remember our Mick
Yeah Mick was gr8 but will be remembered by most as a Leeds player iwould guess and i stand by TC,WOODY&Sir LEN as my favrit 3 Chippy. I believe it's the 3rd anniversary of ENDA signin for us,what a signing he's been. UTMPB

Thaz got em wrong way round in my view but yes they are the top 2 in my time as a BLADE Sean,absolute QUALITY,add Sir Len and that's my best 3.How the hell they only won 17 England caps(all TC's) between em is amazin(and not in a good way) i know Sir Alf dint play wi wingers very often(if at all) but Sir Len was CLASS and shud've been capped and TC shud've had more than 17 caps.UTMPB

Sadly Rod, TC played for lil old Sheffield United at a time Stan Bowles and Alan Hudson were in the bright lights of that london. I have no doubt that even back then that counted for a lot. If TC had played darn sarth throughout his career instead of just right at the beginning and the end of it he'd have had a boat load of caps. But tha knows what cocker. Thank feck 'ee di't else we wunt a seen't lad rippin it up fot Blades an bein GOD forrus !!!!!!!!!!!

And for that I am eternally grateful!!!!

Saw Glyn Hodges take a corner, it was fired in like a rocket, high enough to clear the first defender and it then dipped as it got to the six yard box.

It was then inexplicably headed wide by somebody, can't remember who.
But what I can remember is looking back across at Hodges and thinking he's been watching Alan Woodward

Yeah Mick was gr8 but will be remembered by most as a Leeds player iwould guess and i stand by TC,WOODY&Sir LEN as my favrit 3 Chippy. I believe it's the 3rd anniversary of ENDA signin for us,what a signing he's been. UTMPB
Mick will always be a Blade for me. Saw him and Birch' score for the juniors away
v Chesterfield (Eckington Pitt Street ground).Birch' scored about 6 to Mick's 3 (or so my memory tells me). Sadly both sold with days of one another.....sounds familiar
does that.

I worked at Coles and actually sold Len him his new double bed, just before his wedding! He was a great player and fourth in my list after TC, MJ and AW.

Mick will always be a Blade for me. Saw him and Birch' score for the juniors away
v Chesterfield (Eckington Pitt Street ground).Birch' scored about 6 to Mick's 3 (or so my memory tells me). Sadly both sold with days of one another.....sounds familiar
does that.

I worked at Coles and actually sold Len him his new double bed, just before his wedding! He was a great player and fourth in my list after TC, MJ and AW.
When i said Mick would be remembered more as a Leeds player i meant by footy fans across the country not us BLADES that were lucky enuff to see him in our shirt mi owd pal.I thought Mick&Sherman were gr8 as a pair but once Mick left Birch wasn't half as good in my opinion,i also think it was a couple of months not days that Sherman followed Mick out of BDBL,both went for £100k which as ya know at the time was BIG money.I've said before that Mick leavin was the first time i was really upset at someone leavin BDBL,i was 11 year old and gutted. UTMPB

When i said Mick would be remembered more as a Leeds player i meant by footy fans across the country not us BLADES that were lucky enuff to see him in our shirt mi owd pal.I thought Mick&Sherman were gr8 as a pair but once Mick left Birch wasn't half as good in my opinion,i also think it was a couple of months not days that Sherman followed Mick out of BDBL,both went for £100k which as ya know at the time was BIG money.I've said before that Mick leavin was the first time i was really upset at someone leavin BDBL,i was 11 year old and gutted. UTMPB

Apols Rod, you are right and my memories are, once again, just fiction. I looked it up and here it is:

Mick Jones to Leeds United 01/09/67 for £135k
Alan Birchenall to Chelsea 29/11/67 for £103k

I even thought both went for £100k so I was wrong again.