Jose is an ex-Spurs manager! | Page 48 | Vital Football

Jose is an ex-Spurs manager!

Not the way I remember it. Look at the chronology.

Poch joins Levy's team in the summer 2014. Paul Mitchell joined in November 2014 and Dele joined on transfer deadline day Jan 15 and stayed at MK Don's on loan.

Paul Mitchell was the guy that had been a player and head of recruitment at MK Dons for 7 years and knew Dele personally. He was there from 2007 to 2012 before joining Poch at Saints and then us. He has always been credited with smoothing this deal whilst other clubs were vying for the youngster.

Hence why I still say you cannot just pick and choose when you give an incumbent manager credit or not for signings on his watch. Mitchell probably made the difference and he was Poch's man and knew Dele.

Every deal has its nuances but we can't be picking and choosing when to give a manager credit. Recruitment is a team sport and they succeed and fail as a complete group.

And here I was thinking David Pleat was key to the deal. I guess that's kind of like Sherwood changing Harry Kane's diapers.

And here I was thinking David Pleat was key to the deal. I guess that's kind of like Sherwood changing Harry Kane's diapers.

Do you know, I was thinking Pleat's name as I wrote the above. I have a feeling he also tried to claim credit for the Dele deal. Sort of strengthens my point about recruitment being a team sport.

I also noticed that Paul Mitchell is also being headhunted by Man Utd to come in as technical director. Red Bull are thinking of giving him oversight across all of the RB clubs.

That guy hasn't done too badly since he had to retire as a 27 year old, average footballer. He certainly made his mind up about Levy very quickly :-)

Do you know, I was thinking Pleat's name as I wrote the above. I have a feeling he also tried to claim credit for the Dele deal. Sort of strengthens my point about recruitment being a team sport.

I also noticed that Paul Mitchell is also being headhunted by Man Utd to come in as technical director. Red Bull are thinking of giving him oversight across all of the RB clubs.

That guy hasn't done too badly since he had to retire as a 27 year old, average footballer. He certainly made his mind up about Levy very quickly :-)

Big loss that never sat well with me.

It's a slight rewriting of history. He was here for some time. We bought a lot of waste in that time.

Rumours he was very upset we didn't buy Mane but everyone knew about him. We all wanted him. Hardly world class scouting, probably more than a dozen on here were asking for that transfer. It was clearly a big error not to sign him but you don't bring in a new scouting dept to point out such obvious and expensive targets do you?

He's now getting credit for RB current squad when he was only there for one of the main first team signings, the rest were brought in by his predecessor(s).

It's a slight rewriting of history. He was here for some time. We bought a lot of waste in that time.

Rumours he was very upset we didn't buy Mane but everyone knew about him. We all wanted him. Hardly world class scouting, probably more than a dozen on here were asking for that transfer. It was clearly a big error not to sign him but you don't bring in a new scouting dept to point out such obvious and expensive targets do you?

He's now getting credit for RB current squad when he was only there for one of the main first team signings, the rest were brought in by his predecessor(s).

How long was he here and how much of it was just serving out his notice period though?

As for the comment about how well known these targets were, are any players truly "identified" nowadays? Surely, they are on everyone's database anyway.

I made the comment that Jose has seen Norwich close up 3 times in 2020. That should surely help his assessment of Aarons or Godfrey if they are on his recruitment team's list. Jose has also watched Mukiele twice for Liepzig against us. Isn't he the one that Mitchell takes credit for? Either way, I'd always want my 1st team manager to have an opinion before splashing the cash.

On the Spurs website, a video of Jose giving Becks a stadium tour. Needless to say David is very impressed. Is he not a Spurs boy ? Maybe he wants to go onto coaching ?

He was born in Leytonstone which is a stones throw to Tottenham . It’s next to Walthamstow on the map . He was touted by us as a lad but chose someone else !
. His family is still there I believe .

Jose Mourinho blasts 'unfair' Dele Alli ban and defends meeting Tanguy Ndombele for training in lockdown

Alli will miss Tottenham's game against Man Utd after he was suspended for one match for 'racial stereotyping' in a social media video

By Jason Burt, Chief Football Correspondent 18 June 2020 • 10:30pm

dele-alli_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq2oUEflmHZZHjcYuvN_Gr-bVmXC2g6irFbtWDjolSHWg.jpgimwidth=480

Dele Alli was punished for his social media post

Jose Mourinho has strongly criticised the “unfair” one-match ban imposed on Dele Alli for his social media post mocking an Asian man over coronavirus and said others have escaped punishment for far greater transgressions during the lockdown.
The Tottenham Hotspur head coach admitted he was one of “the examples” of that after he was photographed appearing to flout social distancing guidelines as he met record signing Tanguy Ndombele on Hadley Common in north London for an apparent training session.
But Mourinho also launched a defence of his actions saying what he had done was not only a “very, very, very small mistake” but had not been reported accurately. He claimed he was only helping Ndombele to work his “WiFi GPS” vest and added that others players he was pictured with “were players from a Championship club not a Premier League club and I was there at the right distance having a little talk with them and the pictures gave the idea I was with my players which was not true. It was still a mistake”.
Mourinho was criticised for his actions which, at the time, he said he accepted “were not in line with government protocol”, but ahead of Tottenham’s first Premier League game back following the three-month lockdown break, at home to his former club Manchester United, he was clearly frustrated at the punishment handed to Alli.
Mourinho confirmed that Harry Kane, Son Heung-min and Moussa Sissoko are all fully fit and will start the game, which is vital to Spurs’ hopes of trying to close the gap and qualify for the Champions League. Jan Vertonghen is also involved despite his contract ending on June 30 and an extension not yet agreed.
TELEMMGLPICT000233327356_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqGO3nPzUHtl7QIt9kBJy--ulOfo4sfxO4S7YQwxs0Wps.jpegimwidth=480

Harry Kane is fully-fit again after injury Credit: GETTY IMAGES
But Alli is suspended after being found guilty of “racial stereotyping” in his video. The 24-year-old was also fined £50,000 by the Football Association and ordered to undertake an educational course for the post, sent to his 160 friends on Snapchat, which was leaked and showed him wearing a face mask near an Asian man as he waited for a flight to Dubai.
The FA did not try and prove Alli was racist but rejected his argument that his victim was only targeted for having a cough. However, Mourinho said there should have been greater understanding. “I feel very sorry that Dele is not playing,” he said. “He's a player that works so, so hard during all this period and he's really frustrated that he cannot play the first match. I don't want to say much more than I don't think he deserves a one-match ban compared with wrong behaviours at much bigger dimensions that happened during this period without any consequences.”
Mourinho added: “Lots of people in football and even outside football, lots of mistakes were made and I don’t like this kind of contradiction. So I just feel it’s for everybody or it’s for nobody and I think it’s quite unfair to a kid who made a mistake and apologised for it. I really don’t agree with it. But of course one thing is not to agree and another thing is not to respect. And I respect the decisions.”
Similarly Mourinho said there should have been more understanding from the FA than to belatedly charge Eric Dier for misconduct after he climbed into the stands to confront an abusive fan and fearing his brother was in danger.
“If this story is still ‘live’ it surprises me very, very much,” he said before raising the campaign by United striker Marcus Rashford that forced a government U-turn on free school meals during the summer holidays. “We have now even with Marcus Rashford the proof that what is right is right and sometimes this is really, really powerful in support of the right causes that I thought this was that case. And if it is not that case I would be very disappointed with that,” he said.
Fifth-placed United will arrive at Tottenham in what could be the final Champions League qualifying spot, should Manchester City’s ban be upheld, and with Mourinho’s side four points behind. With only a nine-game mini-season to go, defeat is unthinkable for Spurs while a victory would significantly change their prospects.

I don't see Jose getting us to the cl I just don't.I do see him wrecking Kane and son if last night is anything to go using only 2 subs sends a message out to players on the bench that he has no faith they can do as good a job as the knackered players barely moving on the pitch

I didn't see Poch getting us there either. If anything he was taking us down.

In his short time here Jose already has us looking in better shape. No more 7-2s or 3-0s to the likes of the mighty B&H Albion i pray.

He was fine when he first joined and we perhaps looked a little better but not through better coaching more just a little more belief and a new manager bounce. Then it seemed like it was a dead cat bounce. Yesterday showed me we perhaps are better drilled defensively now after the Corona break but I still thought we were devoid of ideas in attack.

He was fine when he first joined and we perhaps looked a little better but not through better coaching more just a little more belief and a new manager bounce. Then it seemed like it was a dead cat bounce. Yesterday showed me we perhaps are better drilled defensively now after the Corona break but I still thought we were devoid of ideas in attack.
Harry hadn't kicked a ball in anger for nearly 6 months & it showed, Son in 4 but we couldn't relace them with the likes of Alli & Moura cos they were both unavailable. No Eriksen any more & Lo Celso is still not quite ready. Taking everything into account i thought we coped pretty well. Their only success came from a rather soft looking penalty.

Harry hadn't kicked a ball in anger for nearly 6 months & it showed, Son in 4 but we couldn't relace them with the likes of Alli & Moura cos they were both unavailable. No Eriksen any more & Lo Celso is still not quite ready. Taking everything into account i thought we coped pretty well. Their only success came from a rather soft looking penalty.

Yep, I could handle a period where we become really mean in defence and win with a counter attacking style. When you consider where we have just come from, that would be progress.

Well worth noting as well that our goal attempts column would have looked a lot different if Fred and McTominay had been given their rightful yellows in the game. We would have had so many more chances to run at Maguire and Lindelof who have no pace and are bang average.

Yep, I could handle a period where we become really mean in defence and win with a counter attacking style. When you consider where we have just come from, that would be progress.

Well worth noting as well that our goal attempts column would have looked a lot different if Fred and McTominay had been given their rightful yellows in the game. We would have had so many more chances to run at Maguire and Lindelof who have no pace and are bang average.
Don't get me wrong i rate Maguire but i don't rate him enough to cough up £80M. He can martial a defence with the best of them & Utd look a lot better for it. However he'll be found wanting against anyone who plays on the counter as witnessed the other night.

Don't get me wrong i rate Maguire but i don't rate him enough to cough up £80M. He can martial a defence with the best of them & Utd look a lot better for it. However he'll be found wanting against anyone who plays on the counter as witnessed the other night.

As an England fan I've watched him live loads. Whether in Moscow, Porto or home at Wembley, he is found wanting every time. His biggest problem is he thinks he's better than he is. He is pretty slow over 5 yards and pretty rash. If he's worth £80m, I can't imagine what Rolls Royces like Rio and King would have been worth in today's football. He's a nuisance in the opposition box though.

In reality, there is a huge opportunity for Dier, Gomes, Tanganga, Timori etc for club and country. I hope they step up.