The flip side of the potential takeover | Vital Football

The flip side of the potential takeover

Rza

Vital Champions League
The more I think about this takeover the more I realise my hatred for Ashley is over shadowing my "appreciation" for the new owners. For want of a better description. I don't appreciate the Saudis at all. Keeping politics to one side, I don't like the thought of paying twice the amount for players, managers and wages. I know it's paper talk but £20m a year for any manager is an absolute disgrace. I've criticised man city and psg in the past for paying over the odds, and the trap you risk falling into is anzhi for example. Players looking more of a pay day than playing for prestige. Anyway I'm a big critic of the amount of money been thrown around in football in general nowadays and whilst I won't turn this opportunity for a sale down, it seems we're going from one extreme to the other. So I guess that makes me a hypocrite

I want rid of Ashley and i would like to see us lift a trophy in my lifetime, the Saudis certainly have a lot of issues but what owners dont have issues, i get what you are saying about the money side of things but after 13 years of being dossers i fancy dining out at the hilton

I copied an article onto here the other day which nailed the issue for me...

It essentially said that if you were happy for the deal to go ahead, you just had to accept that the Saudis have their issues - you either accept it or you dont

Making excuses or comparing other situations doesn't change the fact that the Saudis have their issues

In a nutshell: anyone wanting success under this potential regime just has to hold their hands up and say that I accept what goes on in their country but it doesn't bother me enough to not want success under their ownership

Anyway I'm a big critic of the amount of money been thrown around in football in general nowadays and whilst I won't turn this opportunity for a sale down, it seems we're going from one extreme to the other. So I guess that makes me a hypocrite
I agree with every word,furthermore i'd choose hypocrisy over Ashley any day.

Reactions: Rza
If and when it goes ahead, they will all come out of the woodwork to condemn in further. The London press have a great issue with us up here, and look to knock/derail us at any opportunity. Just because the live in a fucking shit hole. I am waiting for Gina Miller and Greta Thunberg to arrive at the stadium next FFS.
What I don't want is a sky sports exclusive with a bunch of knob ends dressed as shiekhs outside the ground once it is announced, have a bit more class.

I copied an article onto here the other day which nailed the issue for me...

It essentially said that if you were happy for the deal to go ahead, you just had to accept that the Saudis have their issues - you either accept it or you dont

Making excuses or comparing other situations doesn't change the fact that the Saudis have their issues

In a nutshell: anyone wanting success under this potential regime just has to hold their hands up and say that I accept what goes on in their country but it doesn't bother me enough to not want success under their ownership

I can't agree. If we had American owners does that mean we accept everything Trump does? Couldn't you want success under the new regime and also hope they change their ways? Which it seems is starting to happen.

Unfortunately you will get people turning up initially as sheikhs or whatever it’s just what happens. The media will pick up on everything especially the national papers. All my mates who live down here will be voicing their opinions. They will expect me to relieved about Ashley leaving but they will obviously have their own thoughts about the new owners. That’s up to them. I for one will sit and listen then just smile knowing that hopefully as a supporter if it happens I will have better football to watch in the future.

I’m genuinely not arsed, are all these people that concerned about the conditions Asian workers are in day in day out producing Donnay socks for that fat fuck when they consistently hand over money. As Bruce said above I’ll take a trophy before I die thanks and fuck what the god awful pundits and the great British Brexit voting public think.

It's both insulting and not surprising in the slightest the bulk of coverage in the media regarding the potential takeover.

It's really fucking simple. As a Newcastle United fan you're allowed to be excited about the takeover this doesn't mean you instantly approve of the behaviour of the nation state of one of the investors. The two things aren't mutually exclusive. I use Amazon occasionally that doesn't mean I approve of their tax dodging ways. On a more serious note Liverpool fans boycott The Sun but a lot still have Sky subscriptions, this doesn't make them hypocrites.

Also if the Premier League do end up saying this takeover cannot go ahead because of the human rights record of the majority investor. If that's where the line is drawn I don't have a problem with that. That would then mean that not one club or the league itself can do business with or be owned by Saudi Arabia or indeed any country that has a similar human rights record. Does this mean Manchester City are repossessed ? Are Chelsea suddenly put on Ebay ?

If football's administrators are suddenly developing a moral compass do the paymasters sleep easy with the fact that sponsors of half the teams in the Premier League are promoting gambling ?

If we can't have Saudi backed owners can teams have a Saudi player? Do Liverpool have to get rid of Mo Salah simply because he's Egyptian and the Egyptian's human rights record is simply not up to snuff ? What then happens to that money as Liverpool would doubtlessly be profiting from him (they have already incidentally as he brings in a lot of middle eastern corporate finance) ?

Either football is the capitalist old whore it has always been or it's striving for a brave new future. That's not my decision that's football's, but let's not pretend the other nineteen clubs in the league haven't a little red on their pound notes too .

It's both insulting and not surprising in the slightest the bulk of coverage in the media regarding the potential takeover.

It's really fucking simple. As a Newcastle United fan you're allowed to be excited about the takeover this doesn't mean you instantly approve of the behaviour of the nation state of one of the investors. The two things aren't mutually exclusive. I use Amazon occasionally that doesn't mean I approve of their tax dodging ways. On a more serious note Liverpool fans boycott The Sun but a lot still have Sky subscriptions, this doesn't make them hypocrites.

Also if the Premier League do end up saying this takeover cannot go ahead because of the human rights record of the majority investor. If that's where the line is drawn I don't have a problem with that. That would then mean that not one club or the league itself can do business with or be owned by Saudi Arabia or indeed any country that has a similar human rights record. Does this mean Manchester City are repossessed ? Are Chelsea suddenly put on Ebay ?

If football's administrators are suddenly developing a moral compass do the paymasters sleep easy with the fact that sponsors of half the teams in the Premier League are promoting gambling ?

If we can't have Saudi backed owners can teams have a Saudi player? Do Liverpool have to get rid of Mo Salah simply because he's Egyptian and the Egyptian's human rights record is simply not up to snuff ? What then happens to that money as Liverpool would doubtlessly be profiting from him (they have already incidentally as he brings in a lot of middle eastern corporate finance) ?

Either football is the capitalist old whore it has always been or it's striving for a brave new future. That's not my decision that's football's, but let's not pretend the other nineteen clubs in the league haven't a little red on their pound notes too .
Couldn't agree more KK, seems to me it's the usual sky darlings not wanting Nufc muscling in.

I can't agree. If we had American owners does that mean we accept everything Trump does? Couldn't you want success under the new regime and also hope they change their ways? Which it seems is starting to happen.

I'm not sure you are disagreeing with me CTM

I finished my post with...

Is that not what you are suggesting ??

Great post

How do you view the alleged link between Khashoggi and the Crown Prince ?

Last edited:
I'm not sure you are disagreeing with me CTM

I finished my post with...

Is that not what you are suggesting ??

I think I misinterpreted your use of the word "accept" mate.

How do you view the link between Khashoggi and the Crown Prince ?

Same way as I interpret the link between lady Di and the UK establishment? Sorry that's a bit flippant but I am sure you get my drift. I think in any country of the world if you piss of the head honcho's enough you are in for big trouble.

That's not a fair comparison. For a start the American owners may not necessarily agree with their country's policies this isn't just a Saudi company, it's the head of state. Secondly, trump is a puppet doing what he is told to do. The Saudis are an oppressive regime. I would actually consider America's atrocities across the globe a lot worse than Saudi Arabia but we need some perspective here.

You make some fair points but weren't you boycotting sports direct because of Ashley? I hatethe man just as much as anyone else but his human rights violations don't even come close to the Saudis. Just because you're not directly affected by the Saudis doesn't make it morally right. Football is just a game