High Street Stores & Other Businesses At Risk | Page 12 | Vital Football

High Street Stores & Other Businesses At Risk

The problem with Debenhams is that these days it's just a store full of concessions and doesn't really have its own identity.

Shit concessions at that. John Rocha & Red Herring are the two I can remember, who wants to be seen wearing that the new generation of older men want Polo & Stone Island.

They do have some great stores, I think most will end up being premier inns but wouldn’t it be great if a chain took them on, over the 4 floors or whatever they are sometimes sell the space as concessions to affordable but trendy brands. For example, I like Selected Homme - would brands like that be willing to buy 200 sq foot of area, so that you have concessions all over? It’s saves them having to buy a store outright and take on a huge lease.

A more affordable Selfridges with food in the middle where you have street food style eat in joints - that for me is something that might work, but would require a lot of brands and complexity to make work.

Once Mike Ashley gets his grubby hands on a brand it isn't long before he kills it off as a serious commodity.

Once Mike Ashley gets his grubby hands on a brand it isn't long before he kills it off as a serious commodity.

I think he’s a mug for buying these businesses and continuing them for so long. There wasn’t a synergy between the businesses, if you could run everything from
Debenhams to Sports Direct to Evans Cycles with one senior management team, one marketing team (split into the fascia divisions) and one buying team (again split into divisions) then you’d take the cost out of the business you need, but in my experience the important fascias get the attention and the smallers one wouldn’t.

I can only think he wanted to hold the government to ransom for big cheques from the power he had on the high street, but the government are happy to let the high street and pubs die.

1/ Thats Cath Kitson gone into administration: will trade online only now
2/ Laura Ashley gone
3/ Warehouse gone
4/ Oasis gone (the shop just to confirm)
5/ Debenhams

Who next in the pandemic? Thats 5 finally gone for good from the High Street. There will be more. John Lewis is struggling too

1/ Thats Cath Kitson gone into administration: will trade online only now
2/ Laura Ashley gone
3/ Warehouse gone
4/ Oasis gone (the shop just to confirm)
5/ Debenhams

Who next in the pandemic? Thats 5 finally gone for good from the High Street. There will be more. John Lewis is struggling too

All of those brands are 90s brand that were clinging on.

Fashion brands don't have a great life expectancy.

What are the fashion brands that are nailing it at the moment? (I'm a middle aged man, I genuinely know nothing about fashion)

If you were a big money investor, would you start a high street fashion brand now?

Primark have no online offer . They must be high risk

I hope not I have a decent amount shares in ABF. I didn’t think about the online part, though they have a lot of cash from what I’ve read to see them through. Primark for me is the go to shop on the high street - when I went shopping with my mum when we were growing we’d always go to C&A, now all generations must go to Primark. I think they’re in a different position to a lot of stores, and being affordable for all in a recession is a good position.

They have a portfolio with other businesses such as sugar, I’m not honestly sure how this plays out for them with Primark (good or bad).

I was just reading as well, think about the stock write off they’ll have!

I have to admit to being guilty of buying 90% of things online and most of it from Amazon, I don't really care what people think of Amazon but I can get what I want mostly the next day or even the same day normally without going out in the car and faffing about round shops.

If we do shop we shop in Bearwood which has many shops called Tolet and charity shops galore There are Argos Aldi Iceland and a Poundland that's about it, I expect the Argos will disappear into a Sainbury's somewhere.
I'm 3 miles from B'ham city centre and haven't been there in the last 10 years or probably more

Personally I don't care, people bought foreign cars and put me out of a job why should I bother about them it works both ways? Survival of the fittest

Totally forgot Primark was owned by ABF . They should be able to weather the storm just don't expect any dividend anytime soon , not sure how much primark make up of the ABF group ?

All of those brands are 90s brand that were clinging on.

Fashion brands don't have a great life expectancy.

What are the fashion brands that are nailing it at the moment? (I'm a middle aged man, I genuinely know nothing about fashion)

If you were a big money investor, would you start a high street fashion brand now?

Joe Browns are the main one for me. They started as an online shop. Thry are quirky and different.

Then moved into selling with catalogues. They have two retails shops now.

One is in Sheffield and the other in York. Thank goodness the one in York is out at the designer outlet and not in York centre.

Joe Browns is bad for my bank balance at the best of times

Others go to are: Boohoo which is online, TK Max and Primark.

The invention and take off of the www has been the main way the stores were struggling. Debenhams was not an 80s shop but it had failed to modernise

There seems to be more independents in clothing now and designer shops. The only other clothes chain I can think of is New Look and thats struggling too

Even John Lewis is struggling. M & S only keep going because of the food store side

I have to admit to being guilty of buying 90% of things online and most of it from Amazon, I don't really care what people think of Amazon but I can get what I want mostly the next day or even the same day normally without going out in the car and faffing about round shops.

If we do shop we shop in Bearwood which has many shops called Tolet and charity shops galore There are Argos Aldi Iceland and a Poundland that's about it, I expect the Argos will disappear into a Sainbury's somewhere.
I'm 3 miles from B'ham city centre and haven't been there in the last 10 years or probably more

Personally I don't care, people bought foreign cars and put me out of a job why should I bother about them it works both ways? Survival of the fittest

Feel the same, can't afford to go to local shops that charge more, sometimes not always well enough to go out to shops, by the time I get there, I can be shattered when I'm in a bad phase. Amazon do all I need, deliver quickly, I get the tv stuff along with the next day delivery through Prime and for all the horror stories, I'm sure they are major employers. Yes, they and other massive (and not many bigger than this lot) could do better, but that is up to Governments to sort, not me.

I'd love to be able to afford to be more principled and supportive in some ways, but then, I didn't see high street stores doing much for people when they had a monopoly on customers and sales.

High Streets should have changed and adapted years ago, successive Governments were too slow to allow mixed use, some homes amongst the shops, gyms, cafe's etc. They could have been really nice, vibrant places, but they just did not keep up.

My wife and eldest son work for Amazon. They are so busy that they are doing loads of overtime and paying some good money.
They have 2 massive warehouses close to us and are now building a 3rd to cope with the demand.

My wife and eldest son work for Amazon. They are so busy that they are doing loads of overtime and paying some good money.
They have 2 massive warehouses close to us and are now building a 3rd to cope with the demand.

They treated ok, decent condtions? I know someone who works for them and loves it, you only ever see the horror stories don't you?

They treated ok, decent condtions? I know someone who works for them and loves it, you only ever see the horror stories don't you?

My wife loves it there my son is just a lazy twat who never likes it wherever he works. She says the horror stories are rubbish and the people who get binned by them are the lazy ones who come up with any excuse to have a day off.

the sad thing is with the press and tv shows, only horror stories and bad cases seem to count. They never get a balance. Always been the same, like the old endowment policies, lots of people lost out that we were all told about, over and over again, lots of people made fortunes..... you never heard of them!

On top of everything else going on at the moment, I do genuinely feel for people losing their jobs as well. Sad times:

All Oasis and Warehouse stores 'closed indefinitely' with 1,803 jobs lost
Efforts to save Oasis and Warehouse have failed after a buyer could not be found - seeing all stores now shut for good with almost two thousand people losing their jobs

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/oasis-warehouse-stores-closed-indefinitely-21951931

Yeah, awful, as we've discussed, these stores just never kept up. They won't be the last during this virus either, those struggling will be tipped beyond the point of any possible survival.

As you say, on top of everything else, this is awful for the staff.

I've had an ongoing battle with Argos over a delivery that had gone on for a month now. I will never buy anything from Argos ever again, Why I didn't pay a little bit more and get it from Amazon I really don't know.
I've spent 1000's with Amazon on hundreds of deliveries that have rarely let me down. Two things via Argos and they couldn't have messed up more if they'd tried. An hour and 10 minutes on Hold really pissed me off