Coronavirus tipping point | Page 32 | Vital Football

Coronavirus tipping point

My NHS Volunteer application has not been rejected; so, I'll have to wait and see what happens next.

PS I didn't tick the box to make sympathetic 'phone calls to those in quarantine

This is an outrage. These people are fools. Looking on the bright side though, it clearly suggests that the situation may not be as desperate as we feared.

It doesn't take a genius to predict what he wrote because it's been happening anyway - particularly online shopping. Working from home has stuttered and started due mainly to many managers feeling that they can work by controlling a group rather than concentrating on output. In the first few weeks of the virus in Italy, firms were dead against people working from home until forced to. And guess what? It's working, although in the company I worked for they have a very good way of managing files, which means just about everything is accessible, including correspondence received in the last 24 hours. The people miss contact with comrades but that could be overcome if office visits are are arranged periodically. What the guy did miss out on is the rapid growth in the use of Artificial Intelligence particularly in the medical field from predicting breast cancer to searching for new vaccines.

Last edited:
Yesterday, there was an interesting piece on R4 about why so many deaths in Italy have occurred among the aged population. First, after Japan Italy has the second highest elderly population worldwide per head; second, the number of elderly Italians, who still smoke, is high and, third, an obsession with antibiotics has often rendered them ineffective. Smoking we are told will render the airways and lungs more susceptible to infection but ineffective antibiotics is a far worse problem and is likely to be so here, it seems. For many struck by covid-19 a fall out is the onset of pneumonia, which can be treated with antibiotics unlike a virus, but if the antibiotic is ineffective then you are fucked.

Now the Chancellor has come up with much needed help for the self-employed, I hope that many of those who have escaped, avoided etc paying NI and income tax will now be brought into line and treated as employees in future. In many cases, employers are as much to blame.

Yesterday, there was an interesting piece on R4 about why so many deaths in Italy have occurred among the aged population. First, after Japan Italy has the second highest elderly population worldwide per head; second, the number of elderly Italians, who still smoke, is high and, third, an obsession with antibiotics has often rendered them ineffective. Smoking we are told will render the airways and lungs more susceptible to infection but ineffective antibiotics is a far worse problem and is likely to be so here, it seems. For many struck by covid-19 a fall out is the onset of pneumonia, which can be treated with antibiotics unlike a virus, but if the antibiotic is ineffective then you are fucked.
I'm not sure you're right on this occasion Wayne, the pneumonia associated with Covid 19 is viral not bacterial, antibiotics are not a cure.

His ratings have

one up. 55% approve of how he is handling it. I can only assume that large swathes of the population thrive on a positive message that things are great and all will be fine very soon, no big problem. That's the message he has given all along. They are doing great under him.

If/when it goes tits up I wonder what he will say then. I suppose he has foreigners he can blame and they'll buy that too.

Shockingly irresponsible.
I don't know whether to laugh or cry about it.
Or maybe media and leftie luvvies have little understanding of numbers, statistics and probabilities
?

I wrote to my MP this morning

I would like to point out that many workers are still being threatened and told to work in non essential jobs.This is killing people. My brother who manages a book warehouse is being told he has to work he is currently refusing on the grounds that doing so could kill someone. The prime minister address was chiefly aim at us the people. But the real problem around the world has chiefly been carried by business people and people working. A look at where it is spread to in countries around the world will tell you that.It has not hit tourist areas as bad as business areas.All flights should be grounded now. .
I wrote to my MP ...
...urging him to resist the Authoritarians .... and resist 2 years of Emergency Powers rather than 3 months.

Or maybe media and leftie luvvies have little understanding of numbers, statistics and probabilities
?
This has nothing to do with leftie luvvies you pompous arse.

Trump is in complete denial. A case of Rome is burning. That's what happens with populist leaders - full of piss and wind and is saying that we'll all be in church by Easter. Maybe but in coffins.

He's washing his hands, excuse the pun, and leaving it to state governors to sort out the problem, which has led to states competing with each other for scarce resources [ventilators, PPE] instead of the Federal administration picking up the cudgels.

While we’re talking about dick heads perhaps you’d care to explain why the UK won’t participate in the EU’s procurement scheme to obtain more PPE and ventilators apparently ”because it will undermine our Brexit negotiating position”.
Parking for the moment your 'why' about 'procurement'....
....When I heard the EU President proudly announcing that the EU had 'stockpiled' ventilators etc....
....I knew we were justified in opposing the EU.

In what universe, when there is huge demand for ventilators - and the NHS cannot buy new ones fast enough because they are out of stock.....
..... can it possibly be helpful for the EU to 'stockpile' ventilators etc ?

And 'stockpile' is the word on the EU's website.

I wrote to my MP ...
...urging him to resist the Authoritarians .... and resist 2 years of Emergency Powers rather than 3 months.
The authoritarian is Boris; he could have introduced a Bill that had to be renewed [say] every three months.

....When I heard the EU President proudly announcing that the EU had 'stockpiled' ventilators etc....

In what universe, when there is huge demand for ventilators - and the NHS cannot buy new ones fast enough because they are out of stock.....

The EU can put out as many press statements as they like but the reality is that they have not stockpiled anything.
As a governing body, they are a complete shambles and still haven’t even decided an agreed policy.
The uk will plough our own furrow.
We should never be reliant on Brussels for anything, particularly during a crisis.

Your problem with your tiny mind is that you grasp any headline and twist it to fuel your anti-EU stance. The truth is that the EU is building up a strategic reserve to help struggling member states - just as the UK Govt will create a reserve of equipment and materials. We decided to opt out instead of being one under the EU umbrella. Now read the facts that no doubt you will consider biased.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_20_476

The authoritarian is Boris; he could have introduced a Bill that had to be renewed [say] every three months.
WTF. ?

In case you still have your head up your backside, you should have noticed that the Tories have a huge majority.
They can do what they want.

What are you talking about? I don't even understand what point you are making.

Please enlighten me. Honest request.
WK and you were complaining about Trump being upbeat .... and things 'going tits up'.

The media have loved promoting doom and gloom stories - whether about Brexit, Trump or Coronavirus.
A common theme is an almost complete lack of understanding of numbers and the likelihood of 'might happen' actually happening. (e.g Yellowhammer scenarios)

e.g. Only this evening, (7pm?) a BBC news presenter was saying that the death rate for men was '65%'... and a load of similar magnitude numbers.
My wife also heard this and commented that this was wrong.

Whether it was the Autocue writer is irrelevant. There was no 'sense check'.

Last edited: