Which player for the Imps flattered to deceive the most? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Which player for the Imps flattered to deceive the most?

Plus we've had several who were way beyond their best when they came to us for a last pay packet but were players who you had heard of at their peak

Gary Bannister
Gary Megson
Kingsley Black
Ian Hamilton
The aforementioned Bob Latchford

I thought Bannister, to be fair, was okay. Top scored in his one season with his, although he only scored about eight. And he was 34 when he signed, so past his best. Hamilton was terrible.

Also thought Gavin McCallum was going to be half decent having done okay for Hereford. He had a few good games early on too... then all the sprint coach stuff happened

Any centre forward of the past 30 years, other than Rheady. And Forrester.

Last edited:
From memory there were 2 players who we signed from Scunthorpe, who were reputedly stars there but never performed the same here.
Nolan Keeley & Steve Cammack

From memory there were 2 players who we signed from Scunthorpe, who were reputedly stars there but never performed the same here.
Not sure that Cammack was a regular starter for us. My memory of him was of being a journeyman who then became a prolific goalscorer when he signed back for Scunthorpe.

Franny Green, ran his socks off, played every position down one side of the pitch, but alas tried to do to much and achieved very little.

Nolan Keeley did all right. He was the regular left back in the 1980/81 promotion side until getting injured in the March.

Spencer Weir-Daley, decent player, seemed capable of making the grade, reckon he scored a couple at Walsall to put us top of the league, but wasn't quite good enough

Mark Stallard?? Lee Thorpe?? Simon Yeo?? GTF ?? Phil Stant?? Darren Huckerby ??
Yep. Big fan of GTF and Yeo. It was more of a throwaway line. Thanks for reminder. Knew I jumped the gun. Stallard and Stant had good seasons and faded. Roughly one goal in four. Huckerby not at the Bank long enough. Thorpe, hands up, did a good job. I still think of Lormor as a benchmark.
I was thinking more of Gavin McCallum, Martin Carruthers or Fortune-west. Or a few more.

Liam Hearn? Was a good player but was ravaged by injury by the time he came to us. Still scored about 1 in 2. But as so often, for whatever reason, it ended in disappointment for us, and him. Barrow fiasco, Grimsbyitis.
Maybe there needs to be another thread. Had talent but also had an attitude problem ( or couldn't be arsed for Lincoln).

Yep gotta agree with Tony Battersby, flattering to deceive. Or should I say fattering to deceive. Hence the nickname Tony Fatters B

Yep. Big fan of GTF and Yeo. It was more of a throwaway line. Thanks for reminder. Knew I jumped the gun. Stallard and Stant had good seasons and faded. Roughly one goal in four. Huckerby not at the Bank long enough. Thorpe, hands up, did a good job. I still think of Lormor as a benchmark.
I was thinking more of Gavin McCallum, Martin Carruthers or Fortune-west. Or a few more.
Stallard made an awful lot of Jamie Forrester's goals possible