Brexit Day! | Page 65 | Vital Football

Brexit Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a democratic deficit in the EU, though.

Almost uniquely in the world, the EU Parliament doesn’t and can’t propose legislation.

It can modify and amend and reject, but it cannot initiate new acts of parliament. Yet, bizarrely, the EU Parliament is the only machine within EU structures which has a direct claim to democratic accountability.

We have become so comfortable to this that we are blinded to its failings. Democracy here turned on its head. The civil service should operate as a moderating influence, safeguarding continuity of good governance while elected governments come and go. In the EU this can never happen, by its very intention, because there are no elected governments, there is no “coming and going”, there is just a permanent Commission and we have no direct role in putting it there or removing it.

I think that's what jbacsta was trying to say ;-)

Democracy is clearly overrated. It's a sop to idiots.

There is a democratic deficit in the EU, though.

Almost uniquely in the world, the EU Parliament doesn’t and can’t propose legislation.

It can modify and amend and reject, but it cannot initiate new acts of parliament. Yet, bizarrely, the EU Parliament is the only machine within EU structures which has a direct claim to democratic accountability.

We have become so comfortable to this that we are blinded to its failings. Democracy here turned on its head. The civil service should operate as a moderating influence, safeguarding continuity of good governance while elected governments come and go. In the EU this can never happen, by its very intention, because there are no elected governments, there is no “coming and going”, there is just a permanent Commission and we have no direct role in putting it there or removing it.

I think that's what jbacsta was trying to say ;-)
No trying about it.That is exactly "it" But thanks for explaining my view of the EU in perhaps a more intelligent sounding turn of phrase.

Which doesn't amount at all to what you claim I said.

The general point is that EU members had a lot more control than people thought over pretty much everything many thought we had no control over.

A lot of things you heard the general public claim we had no control over, in actual fact we had full control. The colour of our passports is one particularly pointless example.

But even freedom of movement; member states had the ability to set limitations and restrictions on who could come in. When Poland joined in the early 00's, most countries set restrictions. Our government didn't, on the mistaken belief that hardly anyone would come.

Actually was the reverse, Britain needed the workers. Pressures on housing and schools was when it began to sour but this was several years after the poles around 2006 ish. It was romania and bulgaria where most of europe prevented free movement.

Everything else i completely agree

Somebody should just get him some nice crayons to play with until this whole thing blows over.

Due to the rule of unintended consequences, the more the media obsessively bashes Trump the higher his approval rating goes. He could probably get way with anything now.

Just been reading about Spain and their problems with Covid 19. Seems like they really got it wrong. The president of the European Commission ( any better?) bit quiet on that one as well.

Just been reading about Spain and their problems with Covid 19. Seems like they really got it wrong. The president of the European Commission ( any better?) bit quiet on that one as well.
OK, I'll ask again...
What exactly do you want the president to tell the spanish government and the spanish people to do?

OK, I'll ask again...
What exactly do you want the president to tell the spanish government and the spanish people to do?
Ok, I don't want her /them to tell them anything. I want her/them to put themselves in a position to get some criticism just like all other world leaders seem to be getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.