Brexit Day! | Page 64 | Vital Football

Brexit Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough but I see this. Trump appears at a press briefing its broadcast. People make their mind up and decide he is talking bollocks, the same applies to Johnson, they then come on forums like this and say so. The president of the EU last did this when? Did I miss it?
There is not really any such thing as a "president of the EU" that bears any comparison to the PM or president of the USA.

ALL relevant power rests with the individual leaders of each sovereign state and always has done. Look at them all closing their borders, unilaterally, as if they have full control.

The president of the EU is elected by the individual country leaders. After you've said that, there is not much more to say.

As you watch every single country completely take control of its own protective agenda, perhaps reflect on how absolutely, overwhelmingly exaggerated the "pervasive control of the EU over our governments" has been.

It's almost like the idea of a federal Europe was bollocks and the EU was just a primarily economic and trading partnership.

Fair enough but I see this. Trump appears at a press briefing its broadcast. People make their mind up and decide he is talking bollocks, the same applies to Johnson, they then come on forums like this and say so. The president of the EU last did this when? Did I miss it?
Is the penny finally dropping that the president of the EU isn't our boss and can't dictate fuck all to us?

There is not really any such thing as a "president of the EU" that bears any comparison to the PM or president of the USA.

ALL relevant power rests with the individual leaders of each sovereign state and always has done. Look at them all closing their borders, unilaterally, as if they have full control.

The president of the EU is elected by the individual country leaders. After you've said that, there is not much more to say.

As you watch every single country completely take control of its own protective agenda, perhaps reflect on how absolutely, overwhelmingly exaggerated the "pervasive control of the EU over our governments" has been.

It's almost like the idea of a federal Europe was bollocks and the EU was just a primarily economic and trading partnership.
Your post has quite frankly shocked me. When push comes to shove its a free for all then?

These are indeed strange times. The lines that separated remain and Brexit supporters so clearly, are getting very blurry of late.

Is the penny finally dropping that the president of the EU isn't our boss and can't dictate fuck all to us?
First of all its can dictate fuck all to us. Before we came out the EU was not our boss? Why all the bother then. Pope even states that we could have done just what we liked all along. Just wow. So my question remains when did the president of the EU who apparently now has no relevance last appear in a television interview.

You don't half talk shit. How many people are talking about Brexit, Corbyn or Diane Abbot right now? Not many, because the fact is the world is in crisis.

So true. Will probably go back to it tho once world crisis is over. Must say how massively rude the world is; we were quite happy having our own little British crisis and as usual everybody else feels the need to get one up and have a bigger crisis. How rude!

We should ban crises until 2024 imo unless it involves any of the four football teams that deserve one.

First of all its can dictate fuck all to us. Before we came out the EU was not our boss? Why all the bother then. Pope even states that we could have done just what we liked all along. Just wow. So my question remains when did the president of the EU who apparently now has no relevance last appear in a television interview.

Pretty sure the "just wow" catchphrase has already been taken by cornflake. I suggest u get your own one in case he gets a bag on.

Plenty of information and communication from Ursula vdL:
https://twitter.com/vonderleyen?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

The EU has power, of course. It has the power bestowed upon it by the member states. You implied the President should be held to account in some way. What can she do other than press forward with initiatives that can help the situation. That's exactly what she is doing with the Joint European Procurement Initiative.
Why, I wonder, are our government not joining in with this scheme that has the likelihood of getting more stuff, faster, and at a better price then going it alone?

There is no President of the EU lol whom are you referring too?

Plenty of information and communication from Ursula vdL:
https://twitter.com/vonderleyen?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

The EU has power, of course. It has the power bestowed upon it by the member states. You implied the President should be held to account in some way. What can she do other than press forward with initiatives that can help the situation. That's exactly what she is doing with the Joint European Procurement Initiative.
Why, I wonder, are our government not joining in with this scheme that has the likelihood of getting more stuff, faster, and at a better price then going it alone?

Just read that back to yourself and then do the same with my original post. How come Trump and Johnson can be made to look like fucking idiots ( according to some) but the president of the EU can do everything on a keyboard sitting on her bog if she so desires.

I didn't say that at all. By all means, point to the exact quote where I said that.

That wasn't even the theme I was talking about!

Second and fourth paragraph which I took to be a post to better my education of all things EU.
Which doesn't amount at all to what you claim I said.

The general point is that EU members had a lot more control than people thought over pretty much everything many thought we had no control over.

A lot of things you heard the general public claim we had no control over, in actual fact we had full control. The colour of our passports is one particularly pointless example.

But even freedom of movement; member states had the ability to set limitations and restrictions on who could come in. When Poland joined in the early 00's, most countries set restrictions. Our government didn't, on the mistaken belief that hardly anyone would come.

The general point is that EU members had a lot more control than people thought over pretty much everything many thought we had no control over.

A lot of things you heard the general public claim we had no control over, in actual fact we had full control. The colour of our passports is one particularly pointless example.

But even freedom of movement; member states had the ability to set limitations and restrictions on who could come in. When Poland joined in the early 00's, most countries set restrictions. Our government didn't, on the mistaken belief that hardly anyone would come.
Well ive read your post again very very slowly and I keep coming back to the same conclusion. Must be the self isolation kicking in.

There is a democratic deficit in the EU, though.

Almost uniquely in the world, the EU Parliament doesn’t and can’t propose legislation.

It can modify and amend and reject, but it cannot initiate new acts of parliament. Yet, bizarrely, the EU Parliament is the only machine within EU structures which has a direct claim to democratic accountability.

We have become so comfortable to this that we are blinded to its failings. Democracy here turned on its head. The civil service should operate as a moderating influence, safeguarding continuity of good governance while elected governments come and go. In the EU this can never happen, by its very intention, because there are no elected governments, there is no “coming and going”, there is just a permanent Commission and we have no direct role in putting it there or removing it.

I think that's what jbacsta was trying to say ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.