Things To Do Whilst The 'Virus' Controls Us | Page 3 | Vital Football

Things To Do Whilst The 'Virus' Controls Us

This virus attacks the lungs Ukrocks, people with underlying medical conditions have less of a reserve to fight it therefore are at higher risk and older peole generally have weaker immune systems, that said we have a 37 year old male with no medical history who is ventilated in our ICU. We still dont know enough about it but it looks like things are about to start getting real.

830 women a day die during childbirth or through issues with pregnancy​
300,000 a year​
This is a virus which kills a small minority of people who catch it and yet the world economy is in meltdown​
Somethings not quite right​

As someone who has had a stent implantation I assume you have being given or sought medical advise mac ?
I had a couple of stents inserted and because of the infarction the heart was damaged a bit so I have to be careful and I take pills every day for life. As for specific advice, I try to avoid the doctors surgery as much as possible.

I had a couple of stents inserted and because of the infarction the heart was damaged a bit so I have to be careful and I take pills every day for life. As for specific advice, I try to avoid the doctors surgery as much as possible.
:grinning:
A man after me own heart and definitely no pun intended.

This virus attacks the lungs Ukrocks, people with underlying medical conditions have less of a reserve to fight it therefore are at higher risk and older peole generally have weaker immune systems, that said we have a 37 year old male with no medical history who is ventilated in our ICU. We still dont know enough about it but it looks like things are about to start getting real.
Is that based on the one 37 year old you refer to Bruce ?
because so far in the UK at least it appears to be a failure of the health services rather than a virus that infects a minority which we can glean by what happened in China.

830 women a day die during childbirth or through issues with pregnancy​
300,000 a year​
This is a virus which kills a small minority of people who catch it and yet the world economy is in meltdown
Somethings not quite right​
At the risk of sounding callous that will be the real problem come June-July.

I dont know what you mean Pie. My comments relate to the fact that where i work we are seeing an increase in numbers through the door with coronavirus who require hospital care, there is a large cohort of patients who have the virus but will not attend the hospital as their symptoms are mild and are best managed at home.

Mac where did you get those figures on woman dying during childbirth? I am assuming they refer to global figures rather than the UK. In Italy 4000 people have died from this virus in less than a month i think those figures should concern everyone and we all need to do our bit.

Got it Bruce, I thought
"it looks like things are about to start getting real"
might be referring to the fact that a 37 year old with no medical history was in your ICU.

Mac where did you get those figures on woman dying during childbirth? I am assuming they refer to global figures rather than the UK. In Italy 4000 people have died from this virus in less than a month i think those figures should concern everyone and we all need to do our bit.
China gives us a better snapshot of what to expect than Italy surely ?

We don't and won't know the circumstances that has made Italy the country of highest recorded deaths for a while.

I find it difficult to justify how 4000 deaths comprised of mainly aged or infirm people from a population of 60 million is a concern for everyone.
Especially as already mentioned when you look at the evidence we have gathered so far from China.

Yes mate global figures...

https://ourworldindata.org/how-many-women-die-in-childbirth

I'm just a natural conspiracy theory believer - the world military games were held in Wuhan last October and a few months later there is a virus affecting the world

This 'virus' has politics written all over it

I'm just a natural conspiracy theory believer - the world military games were held in Wuhan last October and a few months later there is a virus affecting the world

This 'virus' has politics written all over it
Conspiracy theorists are as bad as those that lack critical thinking abilities imo.

Next you'll be telling us that the Americans were conducting military games on 9-11-2001 :shake:

I think Italy gives us a better insight than China Pie, a fellow european country with similar health service infrastructure, China locked down the whole country when they realised what was happening in wuhan. As for the its only the old and infirm then that is fine as long as none ofnyour loved ones are old and infirm. I dont think anyone wants to be in the position where we are turning patients away at the hospital entrance knowing they will die ( this is what happened in Italy). I dont have a clue where this virus came from and the conspiracy theories will have to wait we are on the verge of a national health emergency and everyone has to do their bit to try and reduce the level of the peak. Its not rocket science reduce public contact to reduce the spread which will reduce the burden on health services.

When you argue that the health service is the real problem,which is how I interpreted your last post, we end up on the same side of the debate Bruce.

The hysteria and subsequent controls being imposed on us over a variation of flu that mainly affects the old and infirm on the other hand is simply ridiculous.

If you choose to use this fact in order to cast doubts over mine or any other persons morality or understanding of the situation by claiming it would be different if we had loved ones that were old or infirm then that's equally ridiculous i'm afraid.

In the meantime if you really want to do your bit I would suggest that as a experienced health care professional you stop spreading fear and instead point the finger in the direction of the real problem which is the lack of money available even now that is required to deal with this pandemic.

The difficulty with comparing Italy and the UK is that it would be very difficult to explain why their death rate far exceeds ours when you consider the UK's slow response in comparison.

Based on the theory of isolation we should be ahead or at least on the same points as Italy in those death tables the media so gleefully wave at us without understanding them.

Of course we could explain the disparity by simply recognising Italy has a much larger older population.

Last edited:
We are 2 weeks behind Italy. As a health care professional i am trying to convey why social isolation and slowing down the virus can benefit the health sevices by slowing down the peak of cases. You seem to be in some sort of bubble where you believe this is just the ‘flu’ it is not. We can agree that health services have been underfunded over the last decade but that will have little effect on what is happening now. We all have to do our bit to slow this down sadly it seems like the message is lost on a large cohort of the population.

I would add that for the first time in 35 years of practice i am genuinely frightened about what we are facing, if that comes across as hysteria then i apologise but it is how i feel.
Don’t apologise mate, I’d rather think the worst and be proved wrong than the other way round, much like Newcastle United. There’s people believing the Chinese and not believing Mike Ashley, how’s that work.