EFL Statement: Board Update On Coronavirus | Vital Football

EFL Statement: Board Update On Coronavirus

Jules

Website Owner
Staff member
"The EFL Board met today to discuss the implications of the COVID-19 outbreak for the League and its Clubs.

After receiving a detailed brief on a number of matters, the Board reaffirmed that the health and well-being of EFL staff, players, Club employees and supporters would remain central to all decisions in these fast-changing circumstances.

The EFL Board also acknowledges the positive role that member Clubs are playing in community solidarity, especially in supporting the vulnerable at this time."

Full Article:
https://www.weareimps.com/news/2020/march/200318-efl-statement/

The financial support will hopefully keep many clubs away from folding in the immediate future and is a good offer from the EFL .
I just hope that it is properly audited so that it doesn't end up in the pockets of those owners who might be looking after number 1 rather than what it is intended for

It's 'help' in one respect because it aids cash flow but it's an advance so they'll still be a hole to be filled further down the line at some point.

Last edited:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51951389

"Under the terms of the relief fund, Championship clubs will receive their remaining £800,000 award payment from the Premier League on Thursday. In addition, they will be able to apply for a £584,000 interest-free loan.

For League One clubs the figures are £250,000 and £183,000, and for League Two sides they are £164,000 and £120,000.

An additional £1m from the EFL Futures pot, a scheme which rewards clubs for giving opportunities to home-grown young players, will be allocated now on a pro-rata basis
."

Inevitable decision to extend the cancellations. Every chance it will be further put back the way it is going

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51951389

"Under the terms of the relief fund, Championship clubs will receive their remaining £800,000 award payment from the Premier League on Thursday. In addition, they will be able to apply for a £584,000 interest-free loan.

For League One clubs the figures are £250,000 and £183,000, and for League Two sides they are £164,000 and £120,000.

An additional £1m from the EFL Futures pot, a scheme which rewards clubs for giving opportunities to home-grown young players, will be allocated now on a pro-rata basis."
For people who understand business and our accounts (I most definitely don't), how likely is it that we would take the 183k interest free loan and put it on our books? My naive instinct is that we will as it will help with cash flow now and it could possibly be paid back at a controlled date after some football fortune such as a cup run.

For people who understand business and our accounts (I most definitely don't), how likely is it that we would take the 183k interest free loan and put it on our books? My naive instinct is that we will as it will help with cash flow now and it could possibly be paid back at a controlled date after some football fortune such as a cup run.

Interest free loan - absolutely all clubs will take it.
Cashflow is key to any business continuing.

It's 'help' in one respect because it aids cash flow but it's an advance so they'll still be a hole to be filled further down the line at some point.

I am sure its just to fill a gap until the Premiership donation is ready to hand over, along with 10 % from their players salaries.:unsure:

Well the £K 183 would help with short-term cashflow,but will need to be paid back.My understanding is that it would be just a short-term arrangement and it couldn't be paid back when we felt like it. However it would be a sticking plaster against more fundamental problems such as dealing with large losses. On top of that you have additional problems like the possiblity of a permanent loss of income if the current season were aborted. Other permanent losses would potentially include the loss of cup competitions due to a late start next season. Then there is the more severe economic threat from persuading most people to stay at home for an extended length of time. That will have a big effect on football finances as well as the wider economy.

A short delay,probably most clubs including City,will be OK-much longer than that it would be disaster IMO-a £k 183 loan will make little difference.

We might see a positive effect on attendances when it does come back, one it will be better weather, 2 people will be stir crazy by then !

I think that the key today is Boris looking at this getting cracked by 12 weeks time. That is therefore going to be mid-June before anything gets back to anything like normality. Unless there's a massive improvement on what is going on over the next couple of weeks there's your earliest dates.

I think that the key today is Boris looking at this getting cracked by 12 weeks time. That is therefore going to be mid-June before anything gets back to anything like normality. Unless there's a massive improvement on what is going on over the next couple of weeks there's your earliest dates.
It does make you wonder that if it gets to mid-June, you'd have to suggest that players take a hit on their contracts because you can't expect all clubs just to extend current player contracts on the exact same terms for another 'x' amount of months to see the season out. That just isn't going to work IMO.

I think you misunderstand, the cracking in 12 weeks means flattening the spike of cases so that we have reached a peak where the NHS can cope. Once we have done that we have to be very careful how many people are allowed to go about their daily business otherwise the 2nd wave spike will be almost as bad as people who are still not immune emerge and catch the virus. The antibody test will definitely help as we then know which people have caught it, and are immune and can't pass it on.

Any social distancing measure we have taken are going to have a lag of 1 or 2 weeks before we see any effect, so cases are going to continue to rise at a rapid rate for pretty much 7 to 10 days, it's only really after then will we see how effective they are. At least we don't have the attitude of some Floridians on spring break which is truly shocking...

I really don't think large public gatherings will be allowed at this point still.

I really hope I am wrong and we can return to normality asap...

I think you misunderstand, the cracking in 12 weeks means flattening the spike of cases so that we have reached a peak where the NHS can cope. Once we have done that we have to be very careful how many people are allowed to go about their daily business otherwise the 2nd wave spike will be almost as bad as people who are still not immune emerge and catch the virus. The antibody test will definitely help as we then know which people have caught it, and are immune and can't pass it on.

Any social distancing measure we have taken are going to have a lag of 1 or 2 weeks before we see any effect, so cases are going to continue to rise at a rapid rate for pretty much 7 to 10 days, it's only really after then will we see how effective they are. At least we don't have the attitude of some Floridians on spring break which is truly shocking...

I really don't think large public gatherings will be allowed at this point still.

I really hope I am wrong and we can return to normality asap...

I agree. I wasn't suggesting that the 12 weeks was a we'll have it done and dusted by then just the earliest possibility of some sort of normality setting in, meaning that the current 30th April date is just pie in the sky. With the loans from the EFL I can see games being played behind closed doors just to get this season finished come the end of June and into July

I agree. I wasn't suggesting that the 12 weeks was a we'll have it done and dusted by then just the earliest possibility of some sort of normality setting in, meaning that the current 30th April date is just pie in the sky. With the loans from the EFL I can see games being played behind closed doors just to get this season finished come the end of June and into July

Posted at 12:5612:56
BREAKINGRestriction should continue ‘most of a year’
Policies to limit the spread of coronavirus would need to be in place for "at least most of a year" to prevent intensive care units being overwhelmed, according to official scientific advice to the government.
The documents, prepared by the UK's Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage), said alternating between more and less strict measures could "plausibly be effective at keeping the number of critical care cases within capacity".

I personally think they will be lucky to start the new season in August! I think the virus will then just keep coming back! If you look at the Spanish Flu it lasted nearly two years!

I think we are in for a very long haul on this one because all this isolation is just delaying it! The only way it will be defeated is if and when we build up herd immunity (which is how mankind has always dealt with diseases) which will unfortunately mean a lot of deaths or they develop a vaccine either way you are looking at potentially 18 months to two years!

Prepare to batten down the hatches for a good long while yet!

I personally think they will be lucky to start the new season in August! I think the virus will then just keep coming back! If you look at the Spanish Flu it lasted nearly two years!

I think we are in for a very long haul on this one because all this isolation is just delaying it! The only way it will be defeated is if and when we build up herd immunity (which is how mankind has always dealt with diseases) which will unfortunately mean a lot of deaths or they develop a vaccine either way you are looking at potentially 18 months to two years!

Prepare to batten down the hatches for a good long while yet!

I think you're not wrong. However, at least 4 already-existing treatment drugs are currently in tests (hopefully more effective than Tamiflu!). These could certainly help mitigate the effects of some of the worst infections.

Anti-body texting may allow recovered patients to return to work. But eventually, it will probably require a vaccine and mass application thereof.

All those anti-vaxxers are looking a bit stupid now, eh?