How Do We Complete Season 2019-20? - Solutions Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

How Do We Complete Season 2019-20? - Solutions Thread

You have issues though over players out of contract come June. Teams could have completely different squads come September and that would seem to be another unfair issue with it.
Honestly if as likely it can't be done by the end of May either declare the table as it stands as the end of season one or abandon it completely
I know what you mean. Perhaps clubs will be instructed to extend contracts to a relevant date. I can’t see the table finishing as it stands. Can you imagine the likes of Tranmere going down despite winning their,last three games and catching the teams above them. Good chance of them avoiding the drop. could have financial implications as well unless you have complicated financial support, etc.

Because, given the current situation of anyone testing positive, or having been around anyone who tests positive, needing to isolate for 14 days, that immediately wipes out squads of players. 80% of let’s call them 40 man squads (players plus coaches and physios etc) are believed to become infected over time. If only one player is infected, but the whole squad has to isolate for 14 days, no game can be played. 2 weeks later, the squad returns, symptom free, but the next day one more squad member tests positive, the whole 14 days begins again- hence no games.

This is just a potential scenario for 1 squad, and you have to time all being ‘clear’ with the opposition!

Players share changing rooms, gyms, showers, canteens etc etc

I just don’t see a plausible way of playing games in the current climate.

Spot on, I'd say.
You will be able to play most fixtures behind closed doors this week. Then week after, more teams will have an infected player so those fixtures get lost. Week after that a lot more teams with an infected player or two or three, so quite a lot of fixtures get lost. Week after pretty much all fixtures lost and so it goes on.
So for me, the playing behind closed doors option becomes a near impossibility.

Also for the sake of competition integrity, can we play on with some teams unaffected whilst others are bady affected?

So...then it's a decision between void the whole season (and that would happen in event of no chance at all of completing fixtures) or else restart in 2 or 3 or 4 months time. It would then take 5 weeks to complete the season. Every team has 10 games or less to play. So weekend & midweek for 5 weeks would cover it.
Then have another break and start new season a further month later. Transfer window open during that break for managers to juggle squads.

Then next season comes along. Bin every cup except FA Cup. Lots of free midweeks to play catch up and 20-21 season should be do-able in a month less than usual.

If we have had a really long interlude, then it might take two such seasons to finally get back on normal schedule.

Only other issue is with a long delay now, we could easily see some clubs go to the wall before resumption. Southend and Macclesfield are close to that stage anyway. 3 months with no further income could definitely finish them off.
If so, then unfortunate for them. But we may well resume with smaller divisions than now.

You have issues though over players out of contract come June. Teams could have completely different squads come September and that would seem to be another unfair issue with it.
Honestly if as likely it can't be done by the end of May either declare the table as it stands as the end of season one or abandon it completely

Players contracts are indeed another issue. It may well be necessary right now to have the FA and FIFA make rulings on this and for all clubs to amend players contracts accordingly. "Contract until completion of current season" for example.
And next transfer window also revised to take all this into account.

I know what you mean. Perhaps clubs will be instructed to extend contracts to a relevant date. I can’t see the table finishing as it stands. Can you imagine the likes of Tranmere going down despite winning their,last three games and catching the teams above them. Good chance of them avoiding the drop. could have financial implications as well unless you have complicated financial support, etc.

Yes indeed. If season cannot be finished, I don't see how you can take positions as they are now as "final".
If un-finishable, then only option is to void it all and start again with us all in current divisions. No championships awarded, no promotions, no relegations.

Players contracts are indeed another issue. It may well be necessary right now to have the FA and FIFA make rulings on this and for all clubs to amend players contracts accordingly. "Contract until completion of current season" for example.
And next transfer window also revised to take all this into account.

Yes something along those lines would be needed
Can't see Jason Shackell taking that severance offer at the moment though

But normal business aren't operating that way. I understand things are changing daily but if we can all go to work then why is a game of football behind closed doors impossible? Genuine question.
We have already had games behind closed doors,it`s a potential solution if precautions are in place.

REMEMBER young 20/30 year old footballers will shrug off a virus or flu in a few days(hudson-odoi) without much consequences.....they are not a vulnerable group.
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020...uhan-china-virus-disease-risks-fatality-rates

Why does the media fail to cover the recovery rate numbers of the virus but present only the worst case scenarios,this is creating unnecessary devastating consequences for parts of the economy and morons clearing supermarket shelves are acting stupidly on the basis of unbalanced media editorials.

I guarantee you, it is going to be a lot worse.

Almost certainly,.and football is quite insignificant in the scheme of things. It just seems a bit (very) illogical that Notts County amongst others can still be playing in front of crowds but the possibility of us playing behind closed doors isn't being considered.

We have already had games behind closed doors,it`s a potential solution if precautions are in place.

REMEMBER young 20/30 year old footballers will shrug off a virus or flu in a few days(hudson-odoi) without much consequences.....they are not a vulnerable group.
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020...uhan-china-virus-disease-risks-fatality-rates

Why does the media fail to cover the recovery rate numbers of the virus but present only the worst case scenarios,this is creating unnecessary devastating consequences for parts of the economy and morons clearing supermarket shelves are acting stupidly on the basis of unbalanced media editorials.

But you fail to consider other members of club staff who will need to be present. This would include office staff. Bromley v Chorley in the National League has been called off today because a member of Chorley's staff became ill whilst en-route on, I assume, the team coach. All of that squad now have to self isolate.
Some have suggested that all games if played behind closed doors should be IFollowed or similar. You then have technical staff having to be present plus possibly commentators ( though they could do it remotely)
So it's not just the reasonably fit players to consider.

Ah das ist ein guten point !
Footballers should be in the fit and young and healthy group.

Must admit I feel the same surely people who are included in the numbers that have got the virus and contacted it 2-3 weeks ago must be better and should not be included in the figures the BBC are one of the worst for scaremongering it is always the worst case scenario less than 1% of the population in Wuhan where the virus started contracted it so why people are bandying about figures of 50 or 70% of the British population contracting it is beyond me.

Must admit I feel the same surely people who are included in the numbers that have got the virus and contacted it 2-3 weeks ago must be better and should not be included in the figures the BBC are one of the worst for scaremongering it is always the worst case scenario less than 1% of the population in Wuhan where the virus started contracted it so why people are bandying about figures of 50 or 70% of the British population contracting it is beyond me.

The media need to rein in the panic and also report recovery figures, whilst giving a balanced view of the facts at all times.(wasn`t done on Brexit.........total media scaremongering exercise)
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
These news editorials need to show a little more maturity and stop delivering worst case scenarios with glee otherwise we will walk to economic disaster.

i`m currently down to tearing up copies of the Morning Star into small squares due to the toilet roll shortage and it`s not necessary.(no pasta or rice in the shops.......what is the next short supply item?)
Empty trains,empty shelves,empty taxis.....empty hotels,empty restaurants.......empty pockets.......................

Last edited:
The media need to rein in the panic and also report recovery figures, whilst giving a balanced view of the facts at all times.(wasn`t done on Brexit.........total media scaremongering exercise)
These news editorials need to show a little more maturity and stop delivering worst case scenarios with glee otherwise we will walk to economic disaster.

i`m currently down to tearing up copies of the Morning Star into small squares due to the toilet roll shortage and it`s not necessary.(no pasta or rice in the shops.......what is the next short supply item?)
Empty trains,empty shelves,empty taxis.....empty hotels,empty restaurants.......empty pockets.......................

My local store is now out of bog rolls, soap, spaghetti (proper tinned spaghetti plus the new-fangled stuff you have to do things to), beans all gone, soup gone, bread, not a single pint of milk left (how are people going to get through so much fresh milk??), ice creams and i don't know what else.
It's like walking around one of those 1970s Soviet shops we would get shown on old propaganda documentaries with barely any items on the shelves

My local store is now out of bog rolls, soap, spaghetti (proper tinned spaghetti plus the new-fangled stuff you have to do things to), beans all gone, soup gone, bread, not a single pint of milk left (how are people going to get through so much fresh milk??), ice creams and i don't know what else.
It's like walking around one of those 1970s Soviet shops we would get shown on old propaganda documentaries with barely any items on the shelves

These corner shop owners will all be driving round in rollers or top of the range Mercs. next year?

We should have carried on and completed the fixture list as normal. Yes there will be large crowds which increase the chance of infection.But isn't that the case anyway, when people go to work, and the shops or go down to the City Centre ? Are the powers that be /experts saying that everyone must stay indoors all the time ? Well that would bankrupt the country as well as mass starvation. And yes I get the fact that some Professional Players and staff may catch the virus-but isn't that the case in all other workplaces ? People that catch it would need to be sent home until they recover.

I am struggling to see what marginal benefit stopping sports events will actually have.I can see plenty of marginal costs which would include the deaths of many football clubs. Perhaps it is virtue signalling and Ministers need to be seen to be doing something regardless of the consequences.

Lets see what uefa do on tuesday. Most people are saying that they will push the euros back to 2021, but they could push it back to the summer of 2022 instead. This would allow leagues to complete their seasons upto the end of sept. Start the new season in Nov and you could finish the season in late may with no playoffs next year. Have no cups to help avoid fixture congestion.

Another idea they could implement. Would be to finish the league next season, but create a mini league/ cup to help us through to the summer next year and allow teams to get a good start to the 22/23 season in may be july to allow the world cup in nov/dec. (Fifa may be praised by some for there future planning of giving the world cup to a country that can't hold it in the summer) and then we could return to normal (whatever that is) for the 23/24 season.

By allowing teams to play out the season would avoid all the legal challenges that either saying thia season is null and void or going with where we are now (which would be very unfair on Tranmere who have been on a good turn of form).

I think we would all prefer it to be settled on the pitch in front of paying crowds.

Lets hope that when football does resume and that we are still here to enjoy this wonderful game and that no club has gone to the wall because of Coronavirus.

I read a piece yesterday where they are talking about binning the the League Cup next year and essentially doing away with relegation (to avoid legal challenges) but allowing promotion. The caveat being that for next season in e.g. The Prem. they would have 22 clubs with FIVE relegated at the end of next season to restore balance; so nearly a quarter of clubs. I don't know how serious a suggestion that is and apologies I cannot remember which online rag I read it from. Also there is no objection from any clubs to Liverpool being awarded the title. I have no idea how that would work in The EFL where there are no runaway leaders.

I read a piece yesterday where they are talking about binning the the League Cup next year and essentially doing away with relegation (to avoid legal challenges) but allowing promotion. The caveat being that for next season in e.g. The Prem. they would have 22 clubs with FIVE relegated at the end of next season to restore balance; so nearly a quarter of clubs. I don't know how serious a suggestion that is and apologies I cannot remember which online rag I read it from. Also there is no objection from any clubs to Liverpool being awarded the title. I have no idea how that would work in The EFL where there are no runaway leaders.

That just smacks of a 'journalist' not really considering that there is more to football in this country than the Premier League.
Would the Championship run with just 22 clubs for a season meaning no team from our division goes up which would then have to be replicated in League 2 and the National League. How do they align our division back to 24 teams
Alternatively if they promote the top 2 from our division into the Championship and the top 3 from League 2 into League 1 that would then require 3 teams from the National League coming up thereby creating a 94 team Football League for the 20/21 season.
Or do they reduce League 2 to 22 teams causing those clubs to lose out on badly needed gate money for a season
Smacks of bollocks to me

I think whatever happens there will be so many losers both in terms of promotion/Relegation and Financially .Not sure what the answer is but its definately not going to end well

Whatever is agreed as the way to complete this season, that solution has to be decided by FIFA and used in every country.

We can't have some countries leagues abandoning their season, others extending theirs, etc, etc - it will just lead to absolute chaos.

Whatever is agreed as the way to complete this season, that solution has to be decided by FIFA and used in every country.

We can't have some countries leagues abandoning their season, others extending theirs, etc, etc - it will just lead to absolute chaos.

Yes good point.
Given all of Europe has now stopped football (think so anyway) and we all run a common football calendar basically (except some like Scandinavia who go for summer football schedule) then it would make sense for us all to get over this crisis and all resume atn agreed date.
Then complete all the leagues (which here would take around 5 weeks so guess similar for the other countries).
You would then have your usual qualifiying teams for UEFA competitions and the next season could commence after a further gap of a month or six weeks for example.
Stage a transfer window at that point. And if it's then Sept or Oct or whatever, so be it.

Then catch up gradually back to nornal schedule over 1 or 2 or 3 more seasons, depending how long this interlude proves to be.

The longer it is though the more clubs that will go to the wall during the shutdown. Plus of course there will be some sad losses of personnel to be expected...you might hope players being younger and fitter will get through this, but we could lose some managers, well known retired players, club officials etc. And that will only be a small section of the losses going on in the wider world.
Hope all fellow Imps and all our loved ones remain safe.