All Professional Football suspended Until April | Vital Football

All Professional Football suspended Until April

Galaxy42

Vital Football Hero
Yes I know there's a Covid19 thread already, but that's spiralled off into Brexit level conspiracy territory.

Do we think the season will be completed, or the whole season expunged. I know cancelling the season would destroy our promotion hopes, but it would be funny to ruin Liverpools season.

Is there anything within the rules of PL or EFL to say what will/may/could happen in these situations? If not, imagine the legal battle that will ensue from Norwich, Villa and Bournemouth if they are relegated

If not, imagine the legal battle that will ensue from Norwich, Villa and Bournemouth if they are relegated

Don't think there'll be relegation tbh, If the season can't start again in early april I think they'll cancel the season. Harsh, but what else can you do?

Last edited:
You heard anything about closing schools? Head Teacher freind of mine at a primary school says they've been told to have home learning packs ready by 23rg March.
No, nothing specific.

Johnson says he's not closing them.

But as I said on the other thread, the order to self isolate for any symptoms whatsoever will put paid to them remaining open indefinitely.

I'm expecting next Friday, the Friday after at the earliest. Unless there is a dramatic change its surely when rather than if, but what we get told by the DFE changes from day to day

I reckon playoffs will be canceled.

Good for Fulham or Brentford I suspect
They could potentially go ahead end May / beginning of June. Depends on the shape of the graph.

My guess would be that the top three right now will go up. Bottom 3 prem will come down. And many a legal battle will follow! I imagine Forest would launch some sort of legal challenge.
The least argument from clubs and fans would be to try to get the playoffs done one day.

Possibly the least legal challenges in terms of promotion would be to start the playoffs with the current incumbents, adjusted for games played.

But that doesn't solve the relegation issue

The talk of the Bundesliga expanding for a season to 22 teams is sensible, but it is also convenient within the league structure. It would mean nobody gets relegated in any division, and ALL of the teams that have even a chance of promotion get promoted.

The Football League is in no such position of strength, when at least a third of the teams in each league are still in with a shout. I think from a legal perspective, they will have to find some way of completing the play-offs.

Edit:

Looking at the Premier League, the idea of ending the season now becomes farcical. Bournemouth are in the relegation zone by virtue of a single goal. Vill are 2 points off safety with a game in hand. And with a further suspension of the season likely by the time April comes around, God only knows what the solution is.

Last edited:
I think the sensible action would need to start from UEFA. Move the Euros's to 2021.
Re-start the season in April, finish in early June.
Selfishly, if we do have a restart to the season, this period off can only be good for Grabban, Ameobi,Silva and Sow, and maybe time to see what this Costa fella is like.
Have these guys at 100% for a truncated run in, and I'm more confident again.

By moving the Euros it allows all the leagues, europe wide to finish their season in full, or an amendment to the season if the suspension goes longer than mid April.

Maybe straight to play-offs, I don't know. Relegation is a great point, all I'm doing is debating the 'what-if's'
I think cancelling the season is a bit of an anti-climax, but again, that could benefit us also potentially.

Anyone know in what month player/manager contracts expire?
Or are they contracted until end of season (whenever that may be).

Peak is being predicted/ planned for late June.

How is this season ever going to get started again?

F1 is cancelled till June

What about this;

PL agrees to expand to 22 teams for one season (I think Bundesliga are doing this).

Two up from every division, no relegation.

Top team does up. 2nd-5th in the playoffs.

I might be being thick, but that works out doesn't it?

Every division loses two teams to promotion and gains two from promotion below.

PL gains two, and relegates four next season with only two coming up.

That sounds like the way to minimal litigation to me

Think Leeds might be a bit miffed about that. Not sure you can say that you go up automatically if you finish second in the championship but then put them into a playoff.

Maybe easier to expand the PL to 23 but then you have another six games in the season to fit in before the delayed Euros.
I like the carnage of relegating six from the PL that year though. That would be funny.

Think Leeds might be a bit miffed about that. Not sure you can say that you go up automatically if you finish second in the championship but then put them into a playoff.

Maybe easier to expand the PL to 23 but then you have another six games in the season to fit in before the delayed Euros.
I like the carnage of relegating six from the PL that year though. That would be funny.
I'm sure Leeds will be miffed, but prove in court that you would definately have finished second. Can't say they have got second on merit after 37 games. And they still have a chance at promotion.