Shrewsbury | Page 2 | Vital Football

Shrewsbury

We can blame lack of finance for everything but like most government departments if you give them more money they will simply waste it because as usual it’s idiots who decide how to spend it.
The Environment Agency have a lot to answer for over the last 30/40 years. Building sea defences at a massive cost is a waste of time if the natural inland water system ie drains, ditches and rivers can now hold less than 50% of the water that they used to due to lack of dredging and proper maintenance.
Hey but it’s ok for houses and farmland being flooded because all the fish species and amphibians have plenty of mud and silty waterways to flourish.

We can blame lack of finance for everything but like most government departments if you give them more money they will simply waste it because as usual it’s idiots who decide how to spend it.
The Environment Agency have a lot to answer for over the last 30/40 years. Building sea defences at a massive cost is a waste of time if the natural inland water system ie drains, ditches and rivers can now hold less than 50% of the water that they used to due to lack of dredging and proper maintenance.
Hey but it’s ok for houses and farmland being flooded because all the fish species and amphibians have plenty of mud and silty waterways to flourish.

Agreed. I haven't read it in detail, but I expect the report I mentioned above covers those kinds of issues. If I get time, I'll have a look.

Some flooding is always going to be inevitable, I guess.

The flooding that arose from a storm in the North Sea in 1953 caused 300 deaths on the east coast alone, with Mablethorpe and Sutton on Sea badly affected, 19 deaths in Scotland, 18 killed in Belgium, 230 at sea, and over 1800 people lost their lives in the Netherlands

Wow reading this thread sums up in a nutshell why the world has the problems it does with tribalism and fragmentation.!

Why can't people just respect other peoples view without calling them pathetic or mindless! Just because they don't share your views means they are something less does it?

I remember reading sometime last week that a woman on social media was constantly slagging of an MP before the general election about being selfish and this and that etc etc without knowing that person! Funnily enough a few weeks later said keyboard warrior broke down in the middle of nowhere and a passing car stop to help out, take them home and get the car recovered who was that person? The MP she had been slagging off! She rather embarrassingly climbed down and said what a decent thing she had done!

You will very rarely change peoples minds and insulting people by name calling is just low. Sweeping generalisations about loony left or Tory scum etc are just wrong. I have friends who are ardent Tories and I have friends who are Labour through and through but we respect each others views and just try to be decent people! Whatever your political views one way or the other doesn't make people anything less!

I don't. Although I'd qualify that with the word 'English ' rather than 'British '. A country of cap-doffers and fore-lock tuggers who deserve every ruling-class cock they willingly take up the arse.
Don’t forget though that 52% of the British electorate voted for parties that wanted a second eu referendum. Broken politics, broken country.

"Sweeping generalisations about loony left or Tory scum etc are just wrong. I have friends who are ardent Tories and I have friends who are Labour through and through but we respect each others views and just try to be decent people! Whatever your political views one way or the other doesn't make people anything less!"

I think there's definitely people who hold certain political opinions that make them less than decent
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/feb/24/uk-ban-neo-nazi-sonnenkrieg-division-terrorist-group

but I appreciate that's not the point you were trying to make...

So one year after the labour economic crash. Armed with the labour note left at the treasury that labour had spent all of the money...

The economic crash began in 2007 with a depreciation in the subprime mortgage market in the United States, and developed into a full-blown international banking crisis with the collapse of the investment bank Lehman Brothers on September 15, 2008.

Whatever the hue of Government in office back then they could not have reasonably legislated for those set of circumstances and it had it nothing to do with incumbent Government's spend profile. Just sayin', like.

Last edited:
The economic crash began in 2007 with a depreciation in the subprime mortgage market in the United States, and developed into a full-blown international banking crisis with the collapse of the investment bank Lehman Brothers on September 15, 2008.

Whatever the hue of Government in office back then they could not have reasonably legislated for those set of circumstances and it had it nothing to do with incumbent Government's spend profile. Just sayin', like.

Actually worth noting too that there was a fairly long financially successful period up to that US crash.
What's been poor from Labour since then is they've let the narrative persist unchallenged that they caused the crash.
As a result we've had the worst governments since 2010 coupled with the worst opposition.
And it's all led to the current worst PM.

And biggest problem with the floods is that the drains are all now full as the country itself has already gone down them.

Actually worth noting too that there was a fairly long financially successful period up to that US crash.
What's been poor from Labour since then is they've let the narrative persist unchallenged that they caused the crash.
As a result we've had the worst governments since 2010 coupled with the worst opposition.
And it's all led to the current worst PM.

And biggest problem with the floods is that the drains are all now full as the country itself has already gone down them.
Cognitive dissonance is rife amongst most normal Tory voters though. And to stay with the floods, we should not forget that animal agriculture is the biggest single cause of climate change. Grazing animals has also caused soil compaction and reduced plant cover leading to faster run off. And then there is the people who have concreted over their front gardens to accomodate more cars which also causes more pressure on drainage..

Last edited:
Just a note to send our best wishes to our League One colleagues in Shrewsbury who may be suffering badly during the current floods:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-51611485

Having worked in the insurance business for a long time, I was sometimes witness to some very distressing scenes in areas such as Carlisle and Cockermouth in particular. The damage done by flooding can be far more severe than just some wet carpets. In addition to ruining furnishings and possessions, filthy contaminated water ruins the floorboards, the plaster and occasionally the actual infrastructure of the building. The drying-out process can take many months, and in extreme cases a building may have to be demolished. Properties can take a year or even two to reinstate, and may never be quite the same afterwards. Heirlooms (not necessarily valuable) and important personal items can be lost, in addition to family pets and a lot more. The impact on lives is substantial - imagine living out of a hotel for a year for starters - and that kind of damage is impossible to reinstate.

Within that context, football is an irrelevance.
Bet your glad you posted. I too send my heartfelt best wishes to shrews fans affected.

Don’t go letting facts get in the way EB!