The Bjorn Engels Thread | Page 9 | Vital Football

The Bjorn Engels Thread

Even after his mistake, i still think he's been one of our better signings and fitted in like he's been here a lot longer. I'm sure he will be keen to make up for that, just needs to forget it and move on.

I thought he was best defender on Sunday, he shouldn`t have been played in middle though as he is not the quickest of the 3.

Hause needs to be replaced by Mings, but he won`t be,

I thought he was best defender on Sunday, he shouldn`t have been played in middle though as he is not the quickest of the 3.

Hause needs to be replaced by Mings, but he won`t be,

hause actually wins most Headers and tackles and also allows the fragile Targett to virtually play as a winger. I agree Mings needs to play and he is wasted as the one who does nothing in the centre

Not looked good to me since his first couple of months here. Regression to the mean has set in, he's slow and ponderous.

Not looked good to me since his first couple of months here. Regression to the mean has set in, he's slow and ponderous.

Our whole defence is slow or average paced at best, I had a laugh the other week when someone on here found stats saying Engels was one of the quickest defenders in the league.

He at least sees danger and communicates, i watched Konsa and Hause on Sunday and they looked fucking spaced out.

Great first tackle from Konsa after another Hause fuck up but after that he seemed lost.

They don`t read anything or are aware, case in point when Engels went down with head injury they carried on not even aware he would have to go off and be covered - they did not even speak to each other which fucking scared me.

Our whole defence is slow or average paced at best, I had a laugh the other week when someone on here found stats saying Engels was one of the quickest defenders in the league.
I never saw stats, but I saw someone who saw someone who saw stats. I don't think anyone has seen those stats. I think playing the line we did against Spurs front four would've been challenging for many CBs in the league, having said that.

However, I would agree that Hause is the one who needs to get gone first. Engels, Konsa, Mings across the back makes most sense to me. Guilbert is much better at tracking back than Targett so would cover Engels better than Targett does Hause. I also feel that Tyrone is regressing as a sweeper. Too many blocks and interventions required rather than managing the game proactively.

However, I would agree that Hause is the one who needs to get gone first. Engels, Konsa, Mings across the back makes most sense to me. Guilbert is much better at tracking back than Targett so would cover Engels better than Targett does Hause. I also feel that Tyrone is regressing as a sweeper. Too many blocks and interventions required rather than managing the game proactively.

I agree with this I've been on about it for months he thinks he's the goalkeeper

Finding it hard to forgive him I'm afraid. As my wife has said to me before ' I can't even look at you!!'.
Embarrassing defending. Bottled it when we needed him at the top of his game.

I dont think I'm exaggerating when I say this could be a season defining moment such was the manner of the loss.

For all the criticism Hause has been getting recently, I'd have him in the team ahead of Engels. Both seem lost without Mings talking to them, but at least Hause has a bit of speed to recover from his mistakes.

I dont think I'm exaggerating when I say this could be a season defining moment such was the manner of the loss.

Similar to what I've said to people who didnt see it, "the type of shit that sends you down".

Reminiscent of mistakes Ciaran Clark made when we thought playing kids was the thing to do and Concrete Ron looked like a busted flush.

For all the criticism Hause has been getting recently, I'd have him in the team ahead of Engels. Both seem lost without Mings talking to them, but at least Hause has a bit of speed to recover from his mistakes.

It's one of those things lad, its hard to gauge the ability of some of these players when they're surrounded by so much inexperience and inconsistency.

V57 is right Hause makes plenty of tackles and headers and wins them but is he flooded with too much to do because Targett isn't good at defending. It's like the argument I make for Marv, he has too much to do defensively in midfield. Then there is the flip side can Hause recognize the danger to a degree where he doesn't need to make a tackle.

I'll stand by Maldini's quote all day long, "if I have to make a tackle I have already made a mistake".

Hause to often is left watching the action when he should be part of it.