Match Thread: Accrington Stanley v Lincoln City | Page 22 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Accrington Stanley v Lincoln City

An entertaining game in awful conditions that despite us going ahead three times felt like I’d take a point at any given moment.

We started with our usual away display of appearing fearful of the opposition until about 25 minutes in where we looked confident and took the game to them. That resulted in our first goal. Unfortunately it didn’t last.

Three goals away from home is a clear positive but the result showed we don’t seem capable of defending. For a time after MApps arrival, our defensive game improved no end but it feels like we’ve gone backwards. I don’t like to single out players but Shackell’s composure and ability to organise the defence seems to have dried up. I was happy to see his reaction when he scored but perhaps now is the time to try Bozzy and Bolger as the centre back pairing.

Hopper showed increasing glimpses of the conduit at the front which we’ve been expecting. Scully again showed he’s keen as mustard and looks to power into dangerous areas and create chances. Lewis demonstrated skill and vision that deserves further game time opportunity.

Grant was again pretty instrumental in our forward play. For me, he’s shown the most steady improvement over the season and I was surprised he was substituted.

It feels like we’ve assumed a position amongst the teams between relegation and mid table, who all appear much of a muchness. Whilst that will suffice for me, it would be nice if we can find some cohesion and turn in some results to drive upward momentum for next season.

I have some sympathy for michael appleton at the moment. Many of us will have worked in scenarios where we have been told by work bosses that your department is having a big funding cut but we want it to remain as successful. You put in long hours, you try to keep staff with you, you have to take risks and cut corners but it is an absolute nightmare. No-one on the outside realises the pressure you are under and then the bosses will criticise when things go wrong, as they inevitably do. A poisoned chalice.

We dont know the ins and outs of what Appleton was told when he arrived. Did he know our best players were going to be sold in 2020 when he arrived? Who knows.

He is now faced with fans complaining that results are poor. No doubt he will be blamed if and when season ticket sales fall. Of course some supporters will not turn up for games if they are not enjoying how things are going. How many wouldn't have been bothered to go if we were at home today in the storm? Forest are picking up and less than an hour away if they want to watch some winning football before may. Supporters are fickle and they leave as easy as they arrive. It is 2020 and people want immediate gratification now.

Lincoln played great around xmas with wins against ipswich, peterborough and blackpool - appleton will have been delighted - lincoln looked like a play-off team again, but he has since been faced with the nightmare scenario.

Non football friends have spoken to me in recent weeks about the losses. What has gone wrong, they say. Lincoln have been successful but have lost a fortune. What do you say in return?

A crucial point is being reached. I am pretty sure we will stay in league 1 this year. Not as sure for next year with the present team. The gamble from the board to balance the books wont work if people dont renew season tickets. Will the board then trust appleton with their reduced cash for next season? Will appleton quit - he isnt without a penny or two from his medical lawsuit- will he just say impossible and tell lincoln to stuff their job? Who knows.

I dont feel the 2020 gamble is going to plan though. The loss today doesnt help. We all know what could happen when akinde and Evans come to town next week.......

There are some proper barmy meltdowns from a few aren't there?

I mean, it's another defeat in unusual conditions to be fair, but if you're apportioning blame it's obvious where that lies, and it wasn't with the new players.

I will admit now that although I don't think it's fair to judge players on a handful of outings, I was concerned some might not be up to the level. But of those who have recently come into the team Edun, Scully, Hopper, and Lewis when he came on, all had good games.

We were let down by not being able to defend, which is where the experience is meant to be. Not that it was easy to defend. We conceded some bad goals but the ones Accrington conceded were, from a defensive point of view, even worse.

Had our defence let Scully have about 10 seconds to turn in the six yard box for the first, or the keeper have thrown the ball onto Lewis's head for the second, or let the biggest threat from a corner have a completely free header from 10 yards without even having to jump, then this place would be squealing about the manager.

As it is John Coleman's been Accrington manager for about 20 years.

Fairly horrible post match interview by Appleton
Seems to have set his sights on taking apart the blueprint which served us well for 3 and a half years ever since he got here from the comments about how unbalanced the squad was through to today's public dressing down of senior players. I certainly wasn't expecting the revolution rather than evolution and the my way or the highway approach. It may be a masterstroke in the long run...or it might not be

As for today and the criminal defending.
It was obviously a poor touch for the first goal but the forward behind may have scored anyway. The criminal defending for that goal was that from a free kick with all defensive players behind the ball the winger got to the byeline. That will be the fault of Scully who shows a bucket full of potential centrally up front but doesn't know the defensive side of the game and shouldn't be playing wide midfield and Edun who shows a bucket full of potential in midfield but shouldnt be playing left back.
The second goal was a criminally poor short header from Bolger but you can be 100% sure under the previous manager he wouldn't have been trying the cute header into midfield and that ould have gone long.
The third goal was criminally weak defending from Edun but he isn't an experienced player so is free from any blame.
The fourth goal was actually piss poor defending from Birdcutt, Bolger & Bostwick before the guy got his shot in
The penalty was a really poor decision and shouldn't have been given

So have I, but that doesn't mean I'm going to sit here being negative.

It would be rubbish on here if there was no debate and we all though everything is rosey.

I’m pleased with were we are and confident we will be in L1 next season.

But I don’t agree with everything I have seen on the pitch and decision made - but MA sees the players day in day out and I wouldn’t have the first clue about being a football manager/coach.

Also feel we are in the best possible hands with CN.

Fairly horrible post match interview by Appleton
Seems to have set his sights on taking apart the blueprint which served us well for 3 and a half years ever since he got here from the comments about how unbalanced the squad was through to today's public dressing down of senior players. I certainly wasn't expecting the revolution rather than evolution and the my way or the highway approach. It may be a masterstroke in the long run...or it might not be

As for today and the criminal defending.
It was obviously a poor touch for the first goal but the forward behind may have scored anyway. The criminal defending for that goal was that from a free kick with all defensive players behind the ball the winger got to the byeline. That will be the fault of Scully who shows a bucket full of potential centrally up front but doesn't know the defensive side of the game and shouldn't be playing wide midfield and Edun who shows a bucket full of potential in midfield but shouldnt be playing left back.
The second goal was a criminally poor short header from Bolger but you can be 100% sure under the previous manager he wouldn't have been trying the cute header into midfield and that ould have gone long.
The third goal was criminally weak defending from Edun but he isn't an experienced player so is free from any blame.
The fourth goal was actually piss poor defending from Birdcutt, Bolger & Bostwick before the guy got his shot in
The penalty was a really poor decision and shouldn't have been given
Read BBs post above yours on today's defending, conditions made it a lottery and picking apart individual 'faults' achieves little, all the errors you mentioned owed something to the conditions, we can say they should adapt but it's not that simple.

I'd also add that one of our goals, 2nd I think, was a result of Accy's farting about at the back to a level which would have caused apoplexy amongst a few on here if that had been our defence.

Think Grant was subbed due to injury, he seemed to tweak a hamstring in a challenge.

Despite the result and the conditions I thought there were a lot of positives today.

I totally agree, but some people can't say anything positive. That is what is starting to anger me.

Yeah, get that. I would imagine purely frustration, people are very fickle - one win and it will be rosy again.

If they want to frustrate themselves by looking very every negative so be it.

I’ll continue to get behind the lads and continue to enjoy every match day!

Last edited:
You're actually starting to sound like you actually want him to fail. Pathetic.

Hardly as I said this morning I want him to succeed but it’s not looking great. It’s ok saying it will get worse before it gets better but when does it get better?

I wonder With shackell seemingly now in bad books will Appleton look at bringing Jake Wright who was named on the January window thread As being released by Sheffield United.

Might be worthwhile as doubtful Shackell can come back from this. Might be worth a 6 month deal and he’ll be used to playing the Appleton way

Considering the conditions it was a cracking game of football from Two decent teams thought we deserved a point, I think Accy had a real advantage the last 25 minutes when the weather was at its worst as the had the wind and rain behind them.

Thought we played some good stuff at times and Chapman missed a good chance shortly before they got their winner.

Positives for me where Scully and Eden and Hopper looked better today.

But for me there was a certain inevitability about Accy getting there winner as this season is starting to bear a real resemblance to the season when we went out of the league.

Read BBs post above yours on today's defending, conditions made it a lottery and picking apart individual 'faults' achieves little, all the errors you mentioned owed something to the conditions, we can say they should adapt but it's not that simple.
Don't disagree with you
I think you will find someone else made the original claim about criminal defending.
Apparently defensive tactics and team selection had nothing to do with it

Was going to press 'like' but I dont like seeing the current situation, especially as a lot of 'supporters' will vote with their feet. I hate seeing all the good work over the past few years at SB undone, nobody has the right for continual success, but it does not sound a happy camp at the moment, and today will not help. Many of the natives are restless, roll on next Saturday !

I don’t think anything is being undone, getting into this league was hard enough, staying in this league will be even harder. However, continuing to throw money at the project as per the last three years requires a lot more new investment. Therefore, a change to what old and new supporters have been use to. Consolidation in this league is key moving forward. The next step at this time for our club is a bridge too far. That’s not to say it won’t happen it probably will, MApp has set his stall out with a long enough contract to get us there and said as much himself. I’m sure he is older and wiser in football management terms to get us there. Clearly, there will be ups and downs but we all have to stick with it, he has inherited a side that is not his own bar the additions in January, I would suggest the defence will look totally different come next season. I’m not interested in fist pumps, hype or what schools are being visited, what counts is what is happening on the training ground in developing the team, a team that will have a totally different spine to it next season. If we loose season ticket renewals or supporters along the way sobeit just shows how committed they really were. At least they’ll have the Arsenal programme to look at.