city | Vital Football

city

bigchap

Vital Youth Team
Finally city are punished ffp £25 million + 2 year ban from champions league
should have been more because city have been cheating and has tarnished all
their achievements
BC

Bloody disgraceful...PSG and the Spanish clubs have been getting away with murder for years yet the small minded wankers make a stance on City. Sooner Sky bankrupt the whole corrupt shebang the better.

FFP is not an honourable concept. It was introduced by Platini to protect a cartel of clubs to ensure it was extremely difficult for others to join it. Make up your own judgement on this disgraced bloke. As it didn’t work the proposal is now that these same clubs get automatic entry to the ‘champions’ league. No doubt City will have the best legal time money can buy and I sincerely hope they pull down this rotten organisation.

I have a mixed opinion about this.

On one hand, i think Financial Fair Play has to go. Ultimately, it is a concept which risks club football just becoming predictable and stale with the same teams winning all the time and no one new able to break into the elite.

On the other hand one could argue the current system we have of unlimited spending in football isnt fit for purpose either and just simply encourages the creation of a cartel where only certain clubs can get anywhere.

What is the correlation between the top "old money" clubs (Liverpool, Man Utd) and the "new money" clubs (Man City and PSG)?. They are all city clubs with big stadiums and as a result are the only places under the current system who can get a competitive team.

When defenders of the unregulated system we have in place at present defend it they say"Well small clubs may get a takeover from a Sheikh one day". Except that is just not true. Look at us, our new owners are nowhere near the same level of wealth as Man City's or Aston Villa's.

Small town clubs in England and leagues outside of Europe's "Big Five" are increasingly being priced out of the game at present. FFP isnt the solution and it should be scrapped. However, some competition measures need to be put in place to enable fairer competition.

In theory, Accrington should have just as much a right to challenge for the PL title as Arsenal. That is the concept of sport, everyone big guy or little guy has a chance. Under FFP and the unregulated system before, what i mentioned above simply doesnt occur.

I also have felt this way in last few years in Championship. It is why i want strong action taken against likes of Sheff Wed and Derby. It seems to me that these clubs are blatantly flouting rules. Rules that are in place to stop another Bury style situation from occuring. Furthermore, these clubs have been racking up huge losses yet a club like Preston who spend sensibly and break even may be denied a play off place this season by one of these two clubs.

If that was to occur surely from a sporting point of view that is everything wrong with football? Preston have good scouts who get good signings on the cheap, they recuit their managers well Grayson and now Neill. Surely they should be rewarded for being a well run club? Instead clubs like Aston Villa last season who run up huge losses and sack a manager midway through the campaign get into the playoffs and win promotion. A poorly run club getting promoted through sheer weight of money they have available getting promoted over a well run club with no access now or in the future to owners of the kind of wealth Villa's have

Best solution for the game? Transfer spending caps, Squad size limits and Salary caps imposed all across the game in every league here and overseas. Then sport becomes more even and fair to small market clubs and leagues. Look at NFL recently, Kansas City win the Superbowl despite it being one of smallest US cities to have a team. F1 and football are only two sports not to be salary capped, yet they have become the two most predictable sports over past two decades. Salary and transfer caps are a must as is upon their introduction strict punishment a la Saracens for anyone who were to break them.

Cant see them being any more guilty than any other club in the Greed League and many in the Championship.
Maybe not Burnley who have handled their finances brilliantly.
Maybe City need to get Cheating Horwich Wanderers legal team on this.

Cant see them being any more guilty than any other club in the Greed League and many in the Championship.
Maybe not Burnley who have handled their finances brilliantly.
Maybe City need to get Cheating Horwich Wanderers legal team on this.

What we should be seeing in the game atm is more Burnley examples. They are a small market club owned by local people who have an underrated manager, they sign well and they run their club in a sustainable fashion.

I want to see more examples of clubs like this in the game and in the top flight not see the PL restricted to just teams being based in big cities inhabiting the top flight.

It is why im not a fan of the prospective takeover of Newcastle. Yes the Geordies have supported their team through thick and thin over the years and do deserve something to smile about. However for every winner there will be a loser and those losers are small town clubs like Burnley who will eventually get priced out of the top flight. Or clubs like Preston who break even and are run in a sustainable fashion.

Clubs like Sheff Utd this season in England and Getafe in Spain this season also add crecidence for creation of a fairer level of competition by introducing salary caps etc. Those two clubs are performing well, have a good team etc so they should be able to keep that team together for a while not just simply see it picked apart by chaotically run wealthier clubs and then fall apart and not build something.

US sports arent perfect but i like how much more egalitarian they are due to caps on spending and wages. Everyone has a chance not something you can say about either FFP or a non FFP unregulated model.

Last edited:
A couple of good, thoughtful posts ML89.

FFP is just a restrictive practice designed to inhabit the ability of clubs to challenge a protected few. The body responsible for that has been riddled with corruption. Ultimately they are now alleging a club is cheating because the owner is investing in a business. Ridiculous when you consider it in that context. In addition to actually investing in players they have provided a lot of investment into the local area and improved it. Seem like owners to commended as opposed to punished. I’ve no doubt City have been ‘creative’, but I’ve no doubt many other clubs have been too, though I suspect there is less incentive to punish them.

Taking our club as an example if ffp had been in place at the start of DW years we’d have never achieved what we did. I think it’s why I feel strongly about it. Undoubtedly there is too much influence in football by too few clubs and they acquire a disproportionate amount of money. As such ffp aids them and ensures the shop stays closed. The playing field isn’t level and I hope this is the catalyst for change.

Beat me to it Hindley, there is relatively little interest and even less money in French club football but PSG have spent hundreds of millions but they aren’t being cited?.....What a load of tripe

I‘m not saying City aren’t guilty but they are no more guilty than others on the continent. Going back a good few years, but Real Madrid needed a cash injection and they sold a parcel of land they owned in the city, and the government bought it, paying ten times what it was worth. That’s not state sponsored ‘financial doping’ then?

Manchesterlatic’s excellent post is though pretty much on the mark. City and PSG aren’t so much football clubs any more, they’re oil nations. The money hasn’t yet earned them the biggest prize but it seems only a matter of time.
Domestically we are seeing the same thing, Leicester’s title win disproved my view held at the time that we’d never again see the likes of Derby and Nottm Forest winning titles, or QPR and Ipswich seriously challenging for them like they did in the 70’s .....but I still maintain that Leicester‘s win was a one off, freak season that we won’t see again.

”Money’ll ruin’t game” said the daft owd Codger many years ago, except it turns out he was an especially prescient owd Codger .....and his young audience were the daft ones.

Beat me to it Hindley, there is relatively little interest and even less money in French club football but PSG have spent hundreds of millions but they aren’t being cited?.

PSG have a member on UEFA’s board. Though of course that will in no way have impacted on the decision not to punish them. Not in the slightest as uefa is a completely honest and transparent organisation.

Some good observations made there guys, i like Zebs in particular about Real Madrid and the sale of land for their training ground to the government. If you are going to go after Man City then fine but surely other clubs need sanctioning too.

A can of worms really was opened up in 1992 wasnt it with the formation of the Premier League and Champions League. Between then and now we have seen the number of new teams qualifying for the Champions League dropping, the number of points required to win a PL title increase to insane amounts, the League and FA Cups becoming more and more closed shops (this years FA cup has been dull, no major upsets at all), domination of leagues like Italy, Germany and France by Juventus, Bayern and PSG on a scale never seen before and for first ever time no teams outside Europe's Big Five leagues making the knockout rounds of the Champions League

Read this article yesterday and bet it sums up how 99 percent of fans who dont support one of the elite level clubs feel at present https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...l-man-utd-barcelona-real-madrid-a9330431.html

PSG have a member on UEFA’s board. Though of course that will in no way have impacted on the decision not to punish them. Not in the slightest as uefa is a completely honest and transparent organisation.

Completely ridiculous that this is even allowed to happen but sadly nothing surprises me with football nowadays.

You are even seeing similar in the EFL too, it is like last season when there was talk of Aston villa not complying with FFP rules and i remember their CEO or someone high up in the club stating something along the lines that he is confident they would comply with FFP because he was reportedly involved in writing up the rules. You lose all hope for the game when you hear statements akin to that read out.

More and more i think we are moving domestically to a system where top two leagues will eventually become PL 1 & 2 and no promotion relegation from PL 2 and rest of Football League will come into place. PL 1 and PL 2 will eventually only be comprised of city-based clubs all with a stadium capacity of 30,000 or more.

You only have to look at Big Championship clubs complaining about EFL TV deal and talk of a breakaway, yes the disproportionate income between PL and EFL needs looking at but talk of a breakaway and wanting a better arrangement for your club stinks of selfishness.

More and more as a small market club like ourselves, Luton, Barnsley will testify you are incresingly feeling unwanted by the football authorities and that to fill up the idea i mentioned above they want you replaced by likes of city clubs in the top two divisions such as Sunderland, Portsmouth and Bradford.

As Zeb said, money it truly has poisoned the game. Rant over!!

Man City used to be a really good club with fantastic fans and a family feel to the old Maine Road, since these Arabs took over the club the fans, players and management think they are a cut above.

City have bought success, the fans are now arrogant shithouses, i'm made up they've got busted, well deserved in my opinion!