Leicester v Wolves | Vital Football

Leicester v Wolves

Blade for Life

Vital 1st Team Regular
First of all how was that Wolves goal offside ?. However we really need a Leicester win tonight. I have suddenly gone from how many points to stay up to how many points for 5th place.

First of all how was that Wolves goal offside ?. However we really need a Leicester win tonight. I have suddenly gone from how many points to stay up to how many points for 5th place.
Wi the rules as they are it WAS offside but it's ridiculous,the authorities need to go back to clear space between last defender and the attacker for offside to be given in my view.UTMPB

Wi the rules as they are it WAS offside but it's ridiculous,the authorities need to go back to clear space between last defender and the attacker for offside to be given in my view.UTMPB

Then we'll have 'clear space less a toe nail'. The problem with offside is that it is both absolute, 'you are or you are not' and open to interpretation, toes, elbows, armpits.

How we managed with just a linesman making the decision after seeing the incident once in full flow of the game, I don't know. Its a wonder to me that they never, ever got it wrong... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Then we'll have 'clear space less a toe nail'. The problem with offside is that it is both absolute, 'you are or you are not' and open to interpretation, toes, elbows, armpits.

I've seen a number of people make this kind of argument, but it's a bit of a strawman. Nobody is saying that there is a solution that won't produce tight calls, but I think people would be more accepting of a decision if they can visually see a gap between attacker and defender, rather than seeing two coloured lines and taking for granted that the computer operator is getting it right. Especially as there is a known margin of error of up to 15cm.

How we managed with just a linesman making the decision after seeing the incident once in full flow of the game, I don't know. Its a wonder to me that they never, ever got it wrong... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Check out Millwall's equaliser against Fulham from midweek for proof of why VAR checks for offside are needed in the game in some form. Also, from our game last Sunday, following Henderson's second half save the Bournemouth player who picks up the loose ball was yards offside, but was allowed to play on and win a corner.

Check out Millwall's equaliser against Fulham from midweek for proof of why VAR checks for offside are needed in the game in some form. Also, from our game last Sunday, following Henderson's second half save the Bournemouth player who picks up the loose ball was yards offside, but was allowed to play on and win a corner.

I think you missed my wry glance at this. You know what we used to do instead of waiting 3 minutes for someone to tell us that it was offside by 2mm. We used to call the lino a ****** and moan about it in the pub afterwards.

I blame us. We wanted better more accurate decisions, right up to the point where we got them and then decided we didn't like them because they were too exact.

PS. Hang on. When did ****** become trapped by the profanity filter, when I can still say bollocks..?

I've seen a number of people make this kind of argument, but it's a bit of a strawman. Nobody is saying that there is a solution that won't produce tight calls, but I think people would be more accepting of a decision if they can visually see a gap between attacker and defender, rather than seeing two coloured lines and taking for granted that the computer operator is getting it right. Especially as there is a known margin of error of up to 15cm.

100% correct mi owd pal,as ya say if theer's a gap between defender and attacker theer's less/no Chance of the decision bein wrong.UTMPB

I think you missed my wry glance at this. You know what we used to do instead of waiting 3 minutes for someone to tell us that it was offside by 2mm. We used to call the lino a ****** and moan about it in the pub afterwards.

PS. Hang on. When did ****** become trapped by the profanity filter, when I can still say bollocks..?
Yeah let's bring back shite pitches and leakin stand roofs also,i can hear the owd Hovis advert in't background,we had real butta for tea, Pops.:giggle: UTMPB

I blame us. We wanted better more accurate decisions, right up to the point where we got them and then decided we didn't like them because they were too exact.

I didn't miss the wry glance, I was just providing some recent evidence of why VAR is necessary. That Millwall goal could end up costing Fulham promotion and it wasn't even close to being onside.

I didn't miss the wry glance, I was just providing some recent evidence of why VAR is necessary. That Millwall goal could end up costing Fulham promotion and it wasn't even close to being onside.

I saw the goal and I'd be disappointed with it if I'd called it, but I can't help wondering if the cure is worse than the disease.

The VAR decisions are ridiculous
I've said it no end of times before,
If the ref or linesman see nothing wrong with an offside decision VAR should keep its nose out.

But every goal is VAR'd and whether it's a foot, a head or a toenail the goal is going to get ruled out.

Us and Wolves seem to be kopping for more of these decisions than anybody

Wouldn't surprise me if one of us, or both of us gets robbed of European football by VAR, and it's definitely going to relegate somebody, that is absolutely certain

I've just seen the disallowed goal live for the first time on Soccer Saturday, having only seen the still image with the lines on before. In the rush to have a go at the VAR stuff, everyone seems to have missed that the ball is played backwards, so the recipient could have been yards in front of the defender and he wouldn't have been (or shouldn't have been) offside. What a bunch of muppets...

Absolutely ridiculous decision. They have stick with VAR for the rest of the season to be fair and consistent but I'd be very disappointed if the offside decisions weren't looked at for next season. Retired Ref. expert on BT commenting on décision agreed it was stupid but says it's the offside law that needs to change not VAR.