Match Thread: Lincoln City v Rotherham United | Page 16 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Rotherham United

How many goals have we conceded this season as a result of a long hopeful punt upfield by the Keeper, lightweight challenge from Walker etc resulting in a dominant header from the opposition CH and eventually through on our goal. No idea myself.

At Sunderland a goal kick for them needed only one other touch by a forward for it to be in the back of our net.

So we're capable of conceding all types of daft goals.

appleton has not been successful with it before, because the change in rules was only brought in over the summer.

Appleton has been successful with it before.

Rules change every year. The basic principles remain.

Its actually just a bit easier for the goal keeper to get the ball to a defender initially from a goal kick.

Whether he can be successful with it again, is really the only question.

on the flip side, have we been gifted an equal amount of soft goals. for instance, the suicide cross field ball that anderson cut out, and akinde eventually scored, against bottombolton.

Appleton has been successful with it before.

Rules change every year. The basic principles remain.

Its actually just a bit easier for the goal keeper to get the ball to a defender initially from a goal kick.

Whether he can be successful with it again, is really the only question.
fine if we were playing to the basic principles.. risk and safety at the back as thompson loves to say. the difference this year, is that the keeper and the two centre backs are playing with the ball six yards [or less] from goal. i would say that is a big change. not been seen in the whole history of the game, and i would argue receiving the ball virtually on your own goal line is not easier for a defender.

fine if we were playing to the basic principles.. risk and safety at the back as thompson loves to say. the difference this year, is that the keeper and the two centre backs are playing with the ball six yards [or less] from goal. i would say that is a big change. not been seen in the whole history of the game, and i would argue receiving the ball virtually on your own goal line is not easier for a defender.
And we are too slow!

There is no fundamental change to any of this, from the rule change.

It just gets the ball to the first player quicker.

If it were harder the teams would do it the way they did last year.

It's easier to play out from the back if you are good at it.

At its simplest and most complicated there are only 2 decisions to make

Can I make a short pass that will improve the situation or
should I welly it down field.

The only other thing is to execute your pass or welly properly.

Having extra time and room to do this for a good exponent of the art, must make it easier.

The issue you are highlighting - is it gives someone not good at it,
more opportunities and time to cock it up.

Me neither. But you wouldn't really categorise that as an easily preventable error. Also, a long punt isn't the only other option. I think that's a fairly weak defence of the tactic, to be honest.
No I’m not defending the tactic and I’m not a big fan of playing out if we lose the ball 25 yards from our goal but long goal kicks up to an isolated Striker is just as bad and as frustrating to watch. If we could sign a GK with the distribution abilities of Edison we would be sorted.

I think we probably only played it sideways to Bolger/Shackell a couple of times as I recall? Bridcutt came back to receive it centrally and Vickers also threw it to the full backs who played a first time ball forward which presumably is a planned move. So to me we already varied tactics according to situation.
The goal came from a bad pass which could have happened anyway

No I’m not defending the tactic and I’m not a big fan of playing out if we lose the ball 25 yards from our goal but long goal kicks up to an isolated Striker is just as bad and as frustrating to watch. If we could sign a GK with the distribution abilities of Edison we would be sorted.
I Thought smiths distribution was pretty good playing out obviously not Edisson. But you do need players body shape to receive and quality on the ball to go with that ?

Funnily enough, Warne commented after the game that the tactic of us passing it around at the back caused them to push on more, and he wasn’t keen on his players doing that. He said it created too much space in behind them.

Funnily enough, Warne commented after the game that the tactic of us passing it around at the back caused them to push on more, and he wasn’t keen on his players doing that. He said it created too much space in behind them.
But we’re too slow to exploit it!

I'm like a few of us , not a massive fan of playing it out from the back under any circumstances,I think its suicide football and you will give unnecessary goals away which is very frustrating.
The thing is though it's part of the Appleton masterplan and it's integral to his overall tactics and the way he wants the team to play so theres no way hes going to discard it until we have more technically gifted players and we will only attract those sort of players if we are a more successful team.
I seriously hope it works because I do like to see us play football on the deck but i also think we have to improve our pitch if we are to stick with this tactic as although it looks fine on the surface it does seem to be really bobbly and the last thing you need as a player and especially as a defender playing in your own 18 yard box is a ball bubbling up as you go to control or pass it.

I'm like a few of us , not a massive fan of playing it out from the back under any circumstances,I think its suicide football and you will give unnecessary goals away which is very frustrating.
The thing is though it's part of the Appleton masterplan and it's integral to his overall tactics and the way he wants the team to play so theres no way hes going to discard it until we have more technically gifted players and we will only attract those sort of players if we are a more successful team.
I seriously hope it works because I do like to see us play football on the deck but i also think we have to improve our pitch if we are to stick with this tactic as although it looks fine on the surface it does seem to be really bobbly and the last thing you need as a player and especially as a defender playing in your own 18 yard box is a ball bubbling up as you go to control or pass it.

That about sums it up for me. I have been convinced by debate on here that it *can* work, but I don't think it *is* working at the moment and I am yet to be convinced it *will* work.

You are all very lucky , Part of the curriculum over in Aus is playing out from the back and its shit , I watched a team of 13/14s and one team was winning 6 or 7 nil the other team only got in the other half at Kick off we are light years behind,And its the same in the A league

The way Ma wants to play out from the back is a lot better and with purpose will it work who knows but he has a plan also a few things to note

When the cowleys took over they had 3 months pre season and probably a high budget for the conference then after that 2 more years to implement there plans again with pre seasons and decent budgets, saying that they absolutely smashed more then we could imagine can never knock what they did , could they have got us into the championship on a lower budget who knows

Ma has come in after the start of the season without his own signings and not on the biggest budget,

Maybe after a decent pre season and his own methods settling in we can judge a bit more but we also have to realise we are level 3 (league 1) not level 5 (Conference) where a good manager will look to have done better

Ireally think we are entering exciting times embrace it ,Whether we see wembley Arsenal promotions etc maybe not as successive but i think we have a good model board and manager,
Other clubs are not so lucky