Shrewsbury Town complaining that | Vital Football

Shrewsbury Town complaining that

Brexiteer

Vital Squad Member
Liverpool not fielding their first team has cost them £500K.
Surely it's not cost them anything. They got the 30% of the gate receipts plus TV money for the first match, they will get 30% of the gate receipts at Anfield which will still be a substantial amount.
Liverpool are free to play whatever team they want and given their fixture list and the need to uphold the winter break I understand Jurgen Klopp's stance.
Shrewsbury should be looking forward to progressing and making more money rather than moaning about what could have been!

Haven’t Liverpool significantly reduced the usual ticket price though, partly because they are fielding an U23 team?

Haven’t Liverpool significantly reduced the usual ticket price though, partly because they are fielding an U23 team?
They are charging:
ADULT: £15
OVER 65: £11.50
YOUNG ADULT: £5
JUNIOR: £1
LOCAL GENERAL SALE: £9
Assuming Liverpool get a gate in excess of 40,000 Shrewsbury could still make something in the region of £250,000 and if they get through then who knows what it would be worth.

I guess their gripe is that the replay may have been televised if it was the main Liverpool team. The gate may also be lower so I can see the argument.

I'd just be happy to be there if I were Shrews and enjoy the day.

Hope the scousers win though as I only need that result to land a nice little 10/1 accumulator.

Ticket prices have to be agreed between both clubs I thought?
Not any more. I wasn’t sure of the rules exactly, but found this which explains it well, quite a long read though:

“The old principle that always used to apply was that clubs drawn together would mutually agree ticket prices for the match, and if they couldn’t reach agreement the FA would act as arbiter and set the prices. Apart from that, the only constraint was a minimum admission price, ensure the total gate was worth splitting – each club receives 45% of net gate receipts, with the remaining 10% going into the FA Cup prize pool.
This rule that admission prices must be mutually agreed still applies for the qualifying rounds of the competition, but it no longer applies to all rounds up to the semi-finals as it did before.
Instead, FA Cup Rule 20 now states that:

(ii) Competition Proper
Immediately after the draw is known, the Club playing at home shall decide on the prices of admission, subject to a minimum price of £10.00 for all spectators other than concessions. The away Club’s spectators can only be charged more than the home Club’s spectators if mutually agreed by both Clubs.
This, of course, substantially changes the dynamics of ticket pricing for Cup matches. The need to reach agreement has been cast aside, and it’s entirely down to the home club to set ticket prices. An away club no longer has any say over what their supporters will be charged, or any influence to stop a home club being as greedy as they may want.
The intention of this change, I understand, was to stop smaller clubs trying to ‘cash in’ excessively when drawn away at Premier League clubs, by insisting that the high ticket prices be charged even though they may not be the most attractive of opponents.”

Shrewsbury not got a leg to stand on in this argument IMO. Particularly as they lost the game.

Liverpool have no obligation to play their first team. They picked a squad that was clearly good enough to beat them (they did). Its a shame, yes. Id be gutted if it were us and we missdd out on it. But id understand liverpool can do what they want. They cant blame liverpool for it.

The Premier League winter break is staggered, so it’s not like the whole league shuts down at the same time like they do in Germany.
I suspect this is because the likes of Sky and BT do not want any blank weekends of no Premier League football to broadcast, so they can continue to charge high prices for advertising as most of their viewers tune in for the live games as opposed to some repeats of matches from 25 years ago.

The Premier League winter break is staggered, so it’s not like the whole league shuts down at the same time like they do in Germany.
I suspect this is because the likes of Sky and BT do not want any blank weekends of no Premier League football to broadcast, so they can continue to charge high prices for advertising as most of their viewers tune in for the live games as opposed to some repeats of matches from 25 years ago.

The whole thing is for the benefit of TV??

Here say Lark. Wash your mouth out!

Incidentally, I thought over the years the mid-winter break (as in Europe) was always said to be due to inclement weather. That is justified I think in mainland Europe where there is a high probability January will be frozen/snowbound etc.

Not so in UK. You might have snowy weather (unlikely) anywhere from about November to April.

So now it becomes a break for the benefit of players? Hmmm.

Drinks are on you then Mark.

Thankfully I followed my cash out rules as Newcastle were also on that accumulator ! When I posted the original comment they were 2 up and looking safe . I love cash out. Only 36 rather than the max 52 but had I kept it going it would have been zero. No doubt the bookie will get it back but that gives me a few weeks free stakes to play with.