Match Thread: Southend United v Lincoln City | Page 24 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Southend United v Lincoln City

Appleton himself has said the team that starts next season will be very different to the team ending this. I suppose that’s obvious but we have to treat this as it is - part of the process building for next season. Obviously I accept we have to pick up points on the way.
Yep, I don't disagree with the transition per se, but whether someone like MoC, who would have had little re-sale value, should have been let go I'm not sure. It's hard to disagree with the thinking behind it all. Obviously it's still too early to judge but I can see it being a bumpy road until the season end.

Appleton will get it right, pleased we have him. We've been here before pre Cowley, perhaps those fans may now melt away and clap elsewhere !

Gotta love replies like this, it’s almost as if they can’t wait to get back to 2.5k gates? How very dare we criticise a performance today most fitting of one from the pre-Cowley era?

The problem is much less to do with who the players are, but with what they’re being asked to do. Jason Shackell has been here long enough for the under-5s in the Co-op to have declared him the best centre back the Imps have ever had (!). He’s being asked now to be a quarterback; a role he just isn’t good enough to perform. It might be for this reason that his confidence is so shaky that he’s started trundling square balls across his own 18 yard line: perhaps the very first thing he learned not to do as a schoolboy. Harry Anderson isn’t a wing-back. He’s a kick and rush trier with the footballing intelligence of a weeble. He should be the apex of the Eardley/Morrell/winger triangle that works the ball out from the right, but he’ll never get it in a million years.
Appleton might not want these players but the mark of his calibre is what he can get out of them. Now, before it’s too late

This ostrich would love to know who you’d replace him with. If you are so convinced Appleton is shit, I’m sure you’ve given some thought to his replacement.

Come on, I’ve asked you 3 times now.

I dont think you'll get an answer out of him and its just ridiculous to suggest that Appleton should go.
The guy has only been here a few months and he is on a mission to change things and must be given fair and sufficient time to get the players he wants and we can afford to try and mould his own successful team.
Yeah we may have horse shit games like today and I will be the first to criticise but I also understand as a manager you have situations out of your control and that it takes more than a just a few months to see the green shoots of your own particular football ethos take shape.
Of course some managers dont get it right but they have to be given a fair crack of the whip so that they can be judged fairly and squarely on the players that have been brought in, the style of play and ultimately league position.
We can give our opinions all we like but there is only one person with his neck on the line and he doesn't bullshit and told it how it was today, he knows that wasnt good enough.
For me as a minimum he gets the next summer window to evolve the squad and I think we evaluate where we are in November time. That still may not be enough time but if things aren't stabilized and moving forward by then there will be plenty of disgruntled voices screaming for his head and that's the time the board will have to make a decision in the best interests of the club.

Ok guys I have just realised what the master plan is.
its called , 'Doing a Bolton in reverse'

You see Bolton start off the season with a jumbled assortment of youth players and really struggle to pick up points until January when they've had a chance to sign some seasoned pros and slowly results start to improve to the point where they valliantly only go down on goal difference on the last day of the season.
We on the other hand....................................

I see Tommo's man of the match was Payne only on for ten
I dont think you'll get an answer out of him and its just ridiculous to suggest that Appleton should go.
The guy has only been here a few months and he is on a mission to change things and must be given fair and sufficient time to get the players he wants and we can afford to try and mould his own successful team.
Yeah we may have horse shit games like today and I will be the first to criticise but I also understand as a manager you have situations out of your control and that it takes more than a just a few months to see the green shoots of your own particular football ethos take shape.
Of course some managers dont get it right but they have to be given a fair crack of the whip so that they can be judged fairly and squarely on the players that have been brought in, the style of play and ultimately league position.
We can give our opinions all we like but there is only one person with his neck on the line and he doesn't bullshit and told it how it was today, he knows that wasnt good enough.
For me as a minimum he gets the next summer window to evolve the squad and I think we evaluate where we are in November time. That still may not be enough time but if things aren't stabilized and moving forward by then there will be plenty of disgruntled voices screaming for his head and that's the time the board will have to make a decision in the best interests of the club.
What league will we be in after that transfer window? And how many will be renewing their season ticke? Oh wait a minute.......

I see Tommo's man of the match was Payne only on for ten minutes !!

Totally disagree if that is the case. Currently in the Sports Bar and Grill Matylebone so not seen much coverage post match. Thought Morrell tried his best today, tried to make things happen and made some telling defensive interceptions and tackles. I'd be very worried if we didn't have him playing !

What league will we be in after that transfer window? And how many will be renewing their season ticke? Oh wait a minute.......

Mate, the club lives on with or without them, C'EST la vie, until we all meet up again in the QF of the FA Cup @ Old Trafford. Hopefully all the names will be in the database for tickets !

Well not a good result.
But we've cashed in on most of our good players.
Fair enough. The Board made the right call last season and spent extra to help ensure promotion happened.
League One then gives you a bigger base turnover to operate with.

Now, the Board are equally right to pull in the reins to ensure our longer term sustainability.
However, it will now be a close run thing to stay up.
We've had disastrous Springs in the past and could eaaily go on on a long win-less run.
It's now crucial that this new bunch of young lads gets a win under their belt asap.
The experienced Liam Bridcutt coming in will hopefully be the key to re-stabilising this team.