Match Thread: Southend United v Lincoln City | Page 23 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Southend United v Lincoln City

Keep asking. All I know is if we carry on playing the Crappleton way we will be in a relegation dogfight. If you look at our recent relegations you’ll see that the rot set in from January onwards.

Fair enough. I’m not wholly convinced we are safe from relegation, but I just can’t compute that sacking a manager at the end of the transfer window would help.

Last edited:
Also Liverpool seem to get far more coverage than the rest of the premier league combined, funny that considering Hortin is a fan.

You cannot rip the experienced heart out of the side and replace with untried youngsters who have never played together before and expect anything apart from the last two performances. Is this all about the big loss last season and the Manager having to offload any saleable assets and big wages in the 'window' ? I hope he is building for next season as we have been fed and our worst fears are not realised. We desperately need Bossie back fighting fit, at least we didnt sell him did we ?! Nine points will do it from somewhere / anywhere !

This window could turn out to be a massive crossroads in the history of the club. Relegation had to be avoided at (almost) any cost. Having lasted just one season last time we were at this level , it would seriously undermine the perceived standing of LCFC if we do the same this time round. In terms of loss of faith among the fan base and the sheer cost of getting promoted back again, relegation should have been unthinkable. (But that's what we said about 2011.)
Given all the effort (and alleged over spending) to get here again, I do hope this window hasn't blown it and we haven't thrown out the baby with the bath water.
If we can't sustain league 1 football for more than one season on gates of 9000 in the long run we are stuffed.

Last edited:
We're still 15 points above the relegation zone so I wouldn't say we're in big trouble. Can see attendances drying up a bit before the end of the season though if we keep playing like this.

Very true I did prevent myself commenting straight after the game for this very reason. Disappointed the word. However I foresee Bridcutt and Payne coming in on Friday to give us that experience and ability to play through the thirds which was sensational to watch over Christmas.

Appleton will get it right, pleased we have him. We've been here before pre Cowley, perhaps those fans may now melt away and clap elsewhere !
If has been stated that the Cowleys budget last season was equal to mid table L1, MApp will have done a great job if he keeps us up having had to move on the top earners on and bring in the kids.
I'm sure MApp would love to have a budget of half the clubs in the league above. I could probably get us promoted with that and I know bugger all about coaching.
Stay strong Imps and get behind him.

Keep asking. All I know is if we carry on playing the Crappleton way we will be in a relegation dogfight. If you look at our recent relegations you’ll see that the rot set in from January onwards.

You have made yourself look a little bit silly now.

A big opportunity missed for Tranmere as well today (not sure who their games in hand are against).

r.e. Appleton, when he was unveiled, Oxford fans said it'd be a struggle for the first 10-12 games - which it was. They also said things would then pick up before being inconsistent again - which it was/is. And also that MA's January signings were often a bit hit and miss - too early to say.

They did, however, say that in his second season they were pretty unrecognisable from the previous season.

Would it be and different if the other guys had been in charge? Profuse apologies to Ian Fleming for corruption of the paraphasing.

A big opportunity missed for Tranmere as well today (not sure who their games in hand are against).

r.e. Appleton, when he was unveiled, Oxford fans said it'd be a struggle for the first 10-12 games - which it was. They also said things would then pick up before being inconsistent again - which it was/is. And also that MA's January signings were often a bit hit and miss - too early to say.

They did, however, say that in his second season they were pretty unrecognisable from the previous season.

Appleton himself has said the team that starts next season will be very different to the team ending this. I suppose that’s obvious but we have to treat this as it is - part of the process building for next season. Obviously I accept we have to pick up points on the way.

You cannot rip the experienced heart out of the side and replace with untried youngsters who have never played together before and expect anything apart from the last two performances. Is this all about the big loss last season and the Manager having to offload any saleable assets and big wages in the 'window' ? I hope he is building for next season as we have been fed and our worst fears are not realised. We desperately need Bossie back fighting fit, at least we didnt sell him did we ?! Nine points will do it from somewhere / anywhere !
With the experienced heart in the side we were poor away from home. It is unfair to expect these young lads to improve on that
But hopefully they will. So let’s give them all our backing