Match Thread: Southend United v Lincoln City | Page 22 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Southend United v Lincoln City

Must admit I had two decent bets on Southend at 5/1 I thought they were an unbelievable price they had lost 1 in 5 and appear to have turned the corner and with our changes and away form I am not surprised by the result.

Do not like the way Appleton is going with young kids we are so much weaker than the start of January cannot see too many points between now and the end of the season.

Looking forward to going to Accrington and seeing how we are actually playing, MA is going to have to earn his corn on the training ground this week.

If that’s not a group of has-been and never-will-be footballers playing to the dictats of a doctrinaire coach who cannot differentiate between the abilities possessed by his squad and those required to play his preferred style of football, when will they stop trying to convince us that they are? Cowleyball made your eyes bleed, but the winningness galvanised the city in a way unseen since 1976. A bunch of journeymen trying to play like the Arsenal and getting pumped by all comers risks undoing everything achieved in the last 5 years. Appleton has to change or go, immediately.

4-4-2 does not look like the way forward. In the last 10 minutes of normal time we played really well, but the rest.... forget it.

Credit to Southend who showed lots of spirit for a team in such a hopeless position and up to 80 minutes had been the only ones who'd played any football.

I imagine the board will now be full of sack-the-manager-we're-going-down type idiocy.

Edit: Oops already seen

This. 451 Friday please. Ideally with Bridcutt holding and Payne and Morrell having licence to push on.

If that’s not a group of has-been and never-will-be footballers playing to the dictats of a doctrinaire coach who cannot differentiate between the abilities possessed by his squad and those required to play his preferred style of football, when will they stop trying to convince us that they are? Cowleyball made your eyes bleed, but the winningness galvanised the city in a way unseen since 1976. A bunch of journeymen trying to play like the Arsenal and getting pumped by all comers risks undoing everything achieved in the last 5 years. Appleton has to change or go, immediately.

Sep 20, 2019
#1,665

Casperimp said:
From what I have heard it was us who decided not to go with Gareth or Flynn and not the other way round. Combination of monetary demands coupled with long term commitment and not fitting in with our vision etc. It appears that through the process Appleton seems to have come out ticking all the boxes. I reckon he will be introduced to the fans at the match tomorrow.

I think that we have to trust the due diligence and process that Clive and the board will have gone through. One thing is for certain they will have interviewed and vetted all the candidates thoroughly several times over the last couple of weeks and will have got the best person in possible and for that they must be applauded. I am sure we will give the new manager our whole hearted support and I have a positive feeling that the good times haven't stopped rolling just yet!

"Appleton was apparently not very popular at Oxford when he started. Fortunately their owner stuck with him and they reaped the rewards. Let's hope us the fans do the same if he makes a slow start here.."

Careful the ostriches don’t like the truth!

Must admit I had two decent bets on Southend at 5/1 I thought they were an unbelievable price they had lost 1 in 5 and appear to have turned the corner and with our changes and away form I am not surprised by the result.

Do not like the way Appleton is going with young kids we are so much weaker than the start of January cannot see too many points between now and the end of the season.

Looking forward to going to Accrington and seeing how we are actually playing, MA is going to have to earn his corn on the training ground this week.

Yep I had money on Southend, 9/2 was too good too turn down. I was briefly feeling very smug after I cashed out on 85 minutes!

On the train back to London via Fenchurch St. Started the day confident of 3 points. We offered very little bar 10 minutes at the start and at the end and that is being generous. Forward line get no service, attacks start via Shackell which invariably involves a long punt upfield. Anderson was ineffective as was Elbouzedi in the first half - no outlet. Too many below par performances all round. Thankful we kept hold of Morrell or it could be a whole lot worse. Melbourne & Edun I thought were also decent btw. I appreciate we are in transition but let's pick a system for the players we have that suits !

"I was concerned when he said there was nothing between the sides in the last 2 games because that’s not what I saw against Portsmouth at least. "

I agree. I could not believe it when MA said he saw lots of positives against Portsmouth. The performance was abject, and today was even worse.

I can't see that any of the new signings are better than the people they have replaced. Yes, they are young - but I am seriously concerned that MA is obsessed with only developing young players. Expect to see Shackell, Bolger and Eardley go in the summer - and they were our three best players today.

I agree with you. I said last week this “obsession” with bringing the age down (which also has a lot to do with bringing the average wage down too) isn’t going to balance the team. We need both FACT

Be typical Lincoln to go and beat Rotherham on Friday
A lot resting on the shoulders of Bridcutt and the mystery man.
Certain members of the side need to step up quickly imho.
Grant Payne and Hesketh need to start taking chances not Anderson and the forwards, also the two central defenders.
Fair enough blame the forwards for not scoring but the contribution from the rest of the squad is shocking this season.

This ostrich would love to know who you’d replace him with. If you are so convinced Appleton is shit, I’m sure you’ve given some thought to his replacement.

Come on, I’ve asked you 3 times now.
Decisions! Decisions! Will he take the job?

This ostrich would love to know who you’d replace him with. If you are so convinced Appleton is shit, I’m sure you’ve given some thought to his replacement.

Come on, I’ve asked you 3 times now.
Keep asking. All I know is if we carry on playing the Crappleton way we will be in a relegation dogfight. If you look at our recent relegations you’ll see that the rot set in from January onwards.