The Super John McGinn Thread | Page 34 | Vital Football

The Super John McGinn Thread

Dear God as if i was not pissed off enough about yesterday. It will focus a few minds on the recruitment team. Time for a LOT of people to step up to the mark.

Bad luck. Hope it doesn't turn out like Kodjia's ankle.

Think for the moment we'll need to play both Nakamba and Douglas. I was expecting a midfielder in the transfer window, even more so now.

It happened right in front of me. I actually said to the bloke next to me that I thought he was going to dive in, his face was like thunder and he ran in like a lunatic, dived in and it was obvious he had broken something. Totally avoidable

I know someone who works at the children’s hospital who was looking after McGinn and a few others last Thursday, she got him to write and sign a Christmas card for me (As she knows he’s my favourite). Usually cards don’t mean anything to me anymore but it’s taking pride of place on the mantelpiece! He asked if it was for a kid to which she just relied yes, she wasn’t wrong tbh 😂

Attachments

• 96D0A4DF-02F4-4D76-B791-98E7E506218D.jpeg
    96D0A4DF-02F4-4D76-B791-98E7E506218D.jpeg
    50.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Bad luck. Hope it doesn't turn out like Kodjia's ankle.

Think for the moment we'll need to play both Nakamba and Douglas. I was expecting a midfielder in the transfer window, even more so now.

I think it's been proved that Douglas and Marvelous can't play together.

They are our very much shitter version of Gerrard and Lampard trying to play together for England:lol:

I think it's been proved that Douglas and Marvelous can't play together.

They are our very much shitter version of Gerrard and Lampard trying to play together for England:lol:
This.
They started together against Wolves, Chelsea and then one from the bench against Sheffield and Southampton. Not exactly a resounding success was it?
Considering they were supposedly bought for the "number 6" role it's a weird thing than Dean Smith has played them together at all given his propensity for like-for-like substitutions...

Different. I see Nakamba as a defensive midfielder and Douglas more as an all round midfielder. Depends on how the team is set up.
Agree that they're different, but I think he originally bought them both for that role sitting deep behind the other two, as shown in the first 10-12 games. Nakamba replaced Luiz and vice-versa. Nakamba more of a defence-first mindset for away games and Luiz to pass from that position when teams are sitting back....

Now just a Doug invented the bicycle kick I invented the 2 holding midfielders trick about 30 years ago. Why because when my boys' side came up against the better sides in the league who were battering the lower sides 12 or 15 nil and the like. We used to get away with 2-0 therefore not demoralising 11-year-olds.
It worked a treat you just put your 2 most disciplined players there and tell them not to stick there and don't venture further than the HW line, basically, they were a back 2 with 4 sweepers.

Villa are currently slightly better but still the 3rd worst side in the league and we need to stop the goals against and the defeats and give ourselves a chance, going toe to toe is all very commendable and brave/ stupid but it's not getting us points and it's not going to save us from relegation

Different. I see Nakamba as a defensive midfielder and Douglas more as an all round midfielder. Depends on how the team is set up.

Again, I agree - Nakamba ain't ever going to be rippling the net from 25-30 yards but Luis has/can/will.

As I said elsewhere, I've no problem at all seeing Luis and Nakamba in the same team and, in fact, I think DS should do that and bloody well leave them alone to form a bond whilst sorting out the more alarming deficiencies up front and at the back when Mings isn't playing.

Now just a Doug invented the bicycle kick I invented the 2 holding midfielders trick about 30 years ago. Why because when my boys' side came up against the better sides in the league who were battering the lower sides 12 or 15 nil and the like. We used to get away with 2-0 therefore not demoralising 11-year-olds.
It worked a treat you just put your 2 most disciplined players there and tell them not to stick there and don't venture further than the HW line, basically, they were a back 2 with 4 sweepers.

Villa are currently slightly better but still the 3rd worst side in the league and we need to stop the goals against and the defeats and give ourselves a chance, going toe to toe is all very commendable and brave/ stupid but it's not getting us points and it's not going to save us from relegation
Hillarious really that Brucie is setting Newcastle up in a 5-4-1 and the Geordie faithfull are loving it.

I don’t buy that Luiz and Marv can’t play together, I think the problem is we don’t have the right players around them to be able to get away with it. That’s not to say Luiz has set himself alight this season, he hasn’t and seems to struggle with the pace of the game at the moment.

I’m with 57 on this. Luiz and Marv could play together in the middle where their role is to keep shape, even dropping into the back line if we got caught on the counter. They both like to play in that hole in front of the back four but if they play together they need to step up into the usual midfield line because it doesn’t work when 2 or 3 press high and 2 or 3 drop deep. We need a left sided player who can carry the ball, support the front man and chip in with goals (sorry to mention it again but a Bowen type), and a right winger who can run at defenders and get balls in though Trez can do this from what I’ve seen. With SJM out, this would obviously give JG the free role in front of those two being the bread and butter players, but I wouldn’t want jack man marking or trying to be the box to box type.

It’s a slightly lame excuse, but the system will struggle to show off the Marvs and Luiz’s of the world with players like El Ghazi and Wesley around them on current form. Fernandinho is recognised as being a top class player, but if the players around him didn’t score goals I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t be rated so highly.

If Deano won’t move away from 4 at the back and one striker, then a subtle change to 4-2-3-1 for me is the next best option with jack in the middle in an attacking free role and the two deeper players in midfield aren’t necessarily deep. Our current formation is more a 4-1-2-2-1 where half the team press and half don’t, it’s all a bit 6 of one and half a dozen of the other resulting in a strange formation that isn’t working.