SE talking about budget - again! | Page 3 | Vital Football

SE talking about budget - again!

Not convinced that we would fill a new stadium anyway, there’s so much apathy towards Gillingham from people in Medway and Kent itself. Maybe that won’t be an issue (revenue wise) if we have a stadium that has facilities that makes money outside of football.
I think the hope is that if it was a stunning stadium with superb facilities that would enhance the match day experience, it would lead to bigger crowds attending.
What sort of team in on the pitch quality wise, doesn’t seem to be the focus.

I think the hope is that if it was a stunning stadium with superb facilities that would enhance the match day experience, it would lead to bigger crowds attending.
What sort of team in on the pitch quality wise, doesn’t seem to be the focus.
Great so a spanking new stadium that makes money for the investors.Scally remains owner of the club .Still the problem attacting fans from bigger clubs or armchairs where watching X play Y 4 days a week or more on TV with a beer is cheaper. Sorry we could have the stadium of light or Old Trafford and it would not make hardly any difference.
Who would pay more if we had a new bigger stadium?
How many more would come unless someone was able to back the team with a minimum of 500k to a million pound a year? On top of any additional money for the stadium. That would probably means the club would need to bring in almost twice as many fans just to pay the money we would need.
I used to be for the new stadium. But all the time Scally has continued total control I can't see any chance what so ever of him getting the investors he would need. Or indeed making the funds available himself to even get close.If Scally was ever going to find a investor it would have happened a very long time ago.The only way he has any chance is if it was a a bad deal for the club.

Scally can't have it both ways he can't talk about new stadiums and Premier league football .But then tell every manager for years that the budget is average for our league .When it is clear from what Evans is saying it is not even close to competitive. It seems Evans did his homework on our chairman and the club .Probably taking the job to prove a point.
Now Mr Scally our manager wants some funds. You appointed him you find them .
Put your money up invest it in Evans.
If you don't it is going to be mightily hard to find a replacement that will improve attendances.And I have a feeling Evans will carrying on telling all those who don't already know how piss poor Gillingham FC budget is and was over the last few years.

Interesting comments from Evans I will say no more.

Oh ok.

No point in a lovely new stadium if Scally is still chairman. He wants the new stadium but to

Great so a spanking new stadium that makes money for the investors.Scally remains owner of the club .Still the problem attacting fans

Scally can't have it both ways he can't talk about new stadiums and Premier league football .But then tell every manager for years that the budget is average for our league

Errrr

Last edited:
But then tell every manager for years that the budget is average for our league .When it is clear from what Evans is saying it is not even close to competitive.

What? Your rantings about Scally get more like the numptys on twitter blaming him for everything wrong in Kent.

Scally has always said it’s a “competitive” budget. Not “average“. Big difference.

And Evans has never said “it’s not even close to competitive”. He’s said we are bottom 4 or bottom.

How do you work out that “we aren’t even close to competitive” when we are clearly and demonstrably competing? Both on the pitch and for players. The fact we can’t get some of our better ‘targets’ in no way means we aren’t competitive.

Sure, we can’t compete with the likes of Sunderland and Pompey, probably Peterboro, Lincoln, Donny and others. But they all have a lot bigger fan bases than ours.

But we can (and do) most definitely compete with Wimbledon, Southend, Bristol Rovers, Fleetwood, Tranmere, Rochdale etc etc. The clubs our size. There’s about 1/2 the division we directly compare and compete with. That’s been the way for 30 years.

And quite a few players over the years have (reportedly) chosen our club over those clubs when given a choice. Probably because we’ve offered them a few more quid. Jack Bonham springs immediately to mind who Rovers definitely wanted to keep.

What I can not fathom is why people are saying Scally should stump up funds. He never has.

He paid £1 for the club and provided guarantees to resurrect us, not cash. Our only cash signing at that time (Fortune-West) was paid for by the supporters association. Does that not indicate something from the start?

He raised over a million from the fans to help towards the Medway Stand and has consistently been taking an ever growing salary out of the club.

The only funds available to the manager while he is still in control will be those generated by the club's activities. No transfer or Centreplate money this year to inflate income, no additional funds. End of.

I am not criticising him because he has never indicated otherwise and he has kept us solvent.

What I can not fathom is why people are saying Scally should stump up funds. He never has.

He paid £1 for the club and provided guarantees to resurrect us, not cash. Our only cash signing at that time (Fortune-West) was paid for by the supporters association. Does that not indicate something from the start?

He raised over a million from the fans to help towards the Medway Stand and has consistently been taking an ever growing salary out of the club.

The only funds available to the manager while he is still in control will be those generated by the club's activities. No transfer or Centreplate money this year to inflate income, no additional funds. End of.

I am not criticising him because he has never indicated otherwise and he has kept us solvent.

Well, no Scally has never paid for signings himself, he’s no sugar daddy or particularly rich is he? Funds for players are always Club funds surely, not Scally’s.

Actually, suppose Paul Scally did suddenly find, say, £5 mill down the back of his couch to buy us a play-off chasing team, is that allowed?

I though the budget for a playing squad had to be a certain percentage of club turnover. So we can only increase our transfer or wage budget by selling players, increasing crowds or sales or other club related activities. Or am I missing something?

I think we have a very confused vision of the future at GFC. One vision shows a new 30000 seat stadium with a whole village attached to it.a vision of one day reaching the premier league.

The other vision is that we are a mediocre club who bounces between league one and two.

I think I we need to decide which it is. A club playing in league one or two in front of barely 5000 doesn't need the first vision.

If we want to grow that fan base then we need to be successful and we need to project the club in a far more positive light. That means the local council, local media and rather club itself.

The fan base is there. The Wembley trips and west ham game show that but we dont build on it. Let's see how many MORE home fans go today. What has the club done to attract the fans back for this game.

There is a real issue with actually buying tickets, it's a recurring issue on twitter "is anyone answering the phones".

We simply need to make more effort to promote GFC as a great day out but that needs success on the pitch.

People often mention Lincoln and their big gates. I work there a lot so have taken an interest in them. They were struggling in non league but then had a few year of success the FACup run, the paint pot trips to Wembley and finally promotion back to league. We need a run of success. The city of Lincoln also really takes pride in their local team. Does medway?

For me we need to make a decision, go for growth and invest in the team OR accept what we are and become a successful league one team. Ditch the new stadium and rebuild the town end. Once we start getting 10K regular we can look at new stadiums.

Oh ok.

Errrr
Well I said my piece ok .I thought about it and thought no i will not stay quiet.I am one of Evans's biggest detractors on here.I am now calling on Scally to find the funds.He knew Evans would want more funds.He wanted Evans fine .He has done what Scally asked and kept his side of the bargain.Now is Scally going to back him.Because if he doesn't he proves the chairman has not got the guts to back himself.Might as well have stick with Lovell. We will be lucky to get anyone of that quality after Evans runs off into the sunset .
If Scally can't find the funds he should not have appointed Evans simple as .

The fan base is there. The Wembley trips and west ham game show that but we dont build on it. Let's see how many MORE home fans go today. What has the club done to attract the fans back for this game.

I actually thought this the other day. After playing well and getting results at home for a couple of months and steadily climbing the table. Then the big fanfare of West Ham on the telly and actually giving a good account of ourselves on TV for once, I think we may have missed a trick.

We had 11000 ish for that game on a Sunday evening, I think we should’ve tried to tempt them back with a “next home game half price with your West Ham stub” offer.

Still, easy in hindsight I suppose.

Well I said my piece ok .I thought about it and thought no i will not stay quiet.I am one of Evans's biggest detractors on here.I am now calling on Scally to find the funds.He knew Evans would want more funds.He wanted Evans fine .He has done what Scally asked and kept his side of the bargain.Now is Scally going to back him.Because if he doesn't he proves the chairman has not got the guts to back himself.Might as well have stick with Lovell. We will be lucky to get anyone of that quality after Evans runs off into the sunset .
If Scally can't find the funds he should not have appointed Evans simple as .

So, do you honestly think if the club (Scally) could possibly find some extra funds for a player that they wouldn’t provide it?

I personally feel sure, for example, if Jon Akinde or AN Other wanted £10k more than we offered, that something would be done. But if he wanted twice what we could afford and so completely smashing apart our wage structure, I hope we’d tell him (or any other player) where to go.

Or, should we just pay whatever a player wants to come here? Is that your world?

You’re blaming Scally for the fact we’ve only signed 1 player in 2 weeks and yet you personally have ZERO knowledge of what has gone on in any negotiation.

I think we have a very confused vision of the future at GFC. One vision shows a new 30000 seat stadium with a whole village attached to it.a vision of one day reaching the premier league.

The other vision is that we are a mediocre club who bounces between league one and two.

I think I we need to decide which it is. A club playing in league one or two in front of barely 5000 doesn't need the first vision.

If we want to grow that fan base then we need to be successful and we need to project the club in a far more positive light. That means the local council, local media and rather club itself.

There is a real issue with actually buying tickets, it's a recurring issue on twitter "is anyone answering the phones".

We simply need to make more effort to promote GFC as a great day out but that needs success on the pitch.

People often mention Lincoln and their big gates. I work there a lot so have taken an interest in them. They were struggling in non league but then had a few year of success the FACup run, the paint pot trips to Wembley and finally promotion back to league. We need a run of success. The city of Lincoln also really takes pride in their local team. Does medway?

For me we need to make a decision, go for growth and invest in the team OR accept what we are and become a successful league one team. Ditch the new stadium and rebuild the town end. Once we start getting 10K regular we can look at new stadiums.
Problem is Medway has very little local identity. Unlike Lincoln and many other towns. Wembley proves nothing. Many who turned up for big games would not more regularly come to league matches in league one than they would attend any other club.I moved to Medway from London 50 or so years ago and have a spent half the time since working in London.
Many I have spoken too and even bought tickets for were Charlton, Maidstone family members,non football fans looking for a day out .
The dockyard and many other events have hit the towns over the years our identity has been badly damaged.
So, do you honestly think if the club (Scally) could possibly find some extra funds for a player that they wouldn’t provide it?

I personally feel sure, for example, if Jon Akinde or AN Other wanted £10k more than we offered, that something would be done. But if he wanted twice what we could afford and so completely smashing apart our wage structure, I hope we’d tell him (or any other player) where to go.

Or, should we just pay whatever a player wants to come here? Is that your world?

You’re blaming Scally for the fact we’ve only signed 1 player in 2 weeks and yet you personally have ZERO knowledge of what has gone on in any negotiation.
We have what Evans has told us.Now it is up to Scally that is all I am saying. Evans wants more funds he has asked for it now it is down to the chairman.I am not party to those talks.
Push on and Evans will stay.Stick with what little he is getting who knows but I don't think he like the players who have walked will stick around if Scally refuses to meet him at least part of the way.

Still, easy in hindsight I suppose.

That why we employ sales and marketing. It should easy in foresight too. I generally think all the sales and marketing do is flog the wine and dine, the "evening with...….." and the Christmas parties events. I don't even think they are responsible for trying to sell more football tickets.

I will back that up. I get regular emails from GFC trying to flog the above. Never had one trying to flog a matchday ticket.

We are so poor at trying to attract people and even if we do its not easy to buy a ticket. Out of interest I emailed the club with a few suggestions about how to improve tickets sales (contactless payment etc.) Not even the courtesy of a reply.

I think there are some real basic issues at GFC but all the time those at the top are chasing the dream of the Scallydome or yet another "investor trip" no one addresses them.

Medway has whatever local identity that it chooses to promote

Perhaps the issue is the local council. Their focus is on the history of the towns and that's fine but lets also promote the future.

Medway could be, should be, a vibrant growing conurbation. We have two universities, we have a developing waterfront location, we have historical sites and we have a LOCAL LEAGUE football club. One of those things are simply NOT promoted or treasured by the local administration. Mind you given the cock up they made of the concerts over the last five years perhaps we should be relieved they aren't involved.

My view remains unchanged nothing will change at GFC until the leadership changes.

If we want stability (financial) but mediocre success (football) then Scally is the right man for the job.

If we want progress with the risk that is associated with it but success (football) then he's not. For whatever reason he simply can't sell his vision of the club to investors - otherwise we would have had it by now. In my humble opinion of course.

If we want stability (financial) but mediocre success (football) then Scally is the right man for the job.

If we want progress with the risk that is associated with it but success (football) then he's not

A lot of good points there Mark, this being the main one for me.

Yep, Paul Scally has kept us pretty solvent these last few years and we are competitive where we have been for most of our existence. But maybe he isn’t the man that can get us improved success and a big shiny new stadium and 25k fans.

My problem is trying to find the buyer that would give us success. As you say, that route is a risk. Unfortunately that risk is not small. It is that we don’t have a club anymore. Having seen the track records of a lot of new owners of lower leagues clubs, I’m not sure it’s a risk I would like to see us take without being very sure.

For every Bournemouth out there, there are multiple Burys, Blackpools, Boltons, Macclesfields, Maidstones and Ebbsfleets.

Absolutely and that's the choice we make. I still think there is something fundamentally flawed with his offer to investors though. So many other clubs have received investment and we really should be a more interesting option. The potential here is huge but it has never been realised. I still don't think Scally is actually looking for an investor - he's after a donor. They are much harder to find.

Lets assume that we go with the safety option. If that's the case park all the new stadium nonsense and divert the funds going to that into the playing budget. Lets take small steps - lets become playoff challengers each year with gates of 8000. Once we've done that we can think again.

Lets assume that we go with the safety option. If that's the case park all the new stadium nonsense and divert the funds going to that into the playing budget. Lets take small steps - lets become playoff challengers each year with gates of 8000. Once we've done that we can think again.

That would be my next move as a club.

I’m not sure how much money would be needed to replicate the RE at the Town End or how that could be financed. But if we could do that, I think we’d have a decent ground that would match any other genuine L1 or L2 club (not the Sunderlands obviously). And surely 11k - 12k capacity is perfectly adequate for us for the near future.

Then concentrate on improving our status and crowds in L1. “IF” we could establish ourselves as a better L1 team and with bigger crowds we could then look at taking that next step.

No need to go into a 25k stadium with 5k crowds. Once the novelty wears off we’d be back down to 5k every week.

I’m not sure how much money would be needed to replicate the RE at the Town End or how that could be financed. But if we could do that, I think we’d have a decent ground that would match any other genuine L1 or L2 club (not the Sunderlands obviously). And surely 11k - 12k capacity is perfectly adequate for us for the near future.

Then concentrate on improving our status and crowds in L1. “IF” we could establish ourselves as a better L1 team and with bigger crowds we could then look at taking that next step.

No need to go into a 25k stadium with 5k crowds. Once the novelty wears off we’d be back down to 5k every week.
Priestfield capacity can't be increased due to parking problems as I remember. In fact I am sure it is about 500 less than the number of seats already.

I am sure that a decent stand at the town end would attract a few more away fans.But we don't use the Brian Moore stand.It could be half filled regularly if we sold pay on the gate entry at a cheap price.Say £10 for adults ,£5 for kids .

IMO the thing that needs to be right before we even think of expanding our stadium is that we have an attractive product to sell on the pitch. That means investment in the team over a sustained period of time, to get a decent,attractive to watch winning team on the pitch. People won't come to sit in a nice new shiny stadium to watch a shit team lose every week just because it's got a floating pitch, huge electric scoreboard or whatever fancy unnecessary shit ideas of grandeur PS might have for his Scallydome.

I struggle to believe that the names of potential players SE said he'd given to PS a few weeks ago were way out of our reach financially. SE keeps going on about our budget, what we can afford and what others are spending, so he must have a fair idea of what his targets are earning too? There would be no point SE giving PS names of players he thought we had no chance of signing. If we're hoping to sign a better quality of player to progress us as a club forward but without being able or willing to paying for it even if it's just in wages it might explain why we are in a vicious circle as club.

As Mark says, the marketing to attract everyday fans is non existent. I've not had zero ST for 3 seasons now, and I can count on one hand how many times I've received promotional emails from the club regarding tickets, ticket offers or to renew my ST.

I don't actually have a problem with being a club of mediocrity (to use Nobbys term), but if that is the case then PS needs to stop with all his pipe dreams of 'target championship'/ new stadium and all the other pie in the sky tripe. He should first be concentrating on getting the core product to be as attractive as possible by backing his manager with every last penny the club has. If we are at that point already then it's time for a change at the top, but I don't think we are. I think whilst PS has stabilised the club over the last few years (probably because he has little wriggle room) he's also taken his eye off the ball more than once on what is the most important thing, in making sure the manager has the where with all to make what goes on on the pitch on a Saturday or Tuesday as entertaining as possible.

Last edited: