The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 150 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't think he was up to the job and said it fairly publicly (SSN!) ... thought the job was too big for a man who had managed just Walsall and Brentford

Once appointed, same as most here I think, I hoped, was slightly enticed that he is Villa and remembered I never wanted John Gregory way back when.

Also, can't argue with those who rightly point out, he got us up. No one expected that before the 10 match unbeaten, I was already writing articles in my head about our new direction, players leaving, having to be in the Championship a long time, etc!

But football is about results, it is a brutal game and he looks to be shattered and out of his depth. I, like a few others, have questioned how buys these players, does Smith get any say? Purslow isn't in front of the cameras with the manager right now, he was before, (which I found odd, silly and 'off') and the DoF has obviously had a big say.

But I also don't see any decent basics, any good coaching, any shape, and if not for Jack, I think (just my opinion, not got stats to back this up) we'd be buried at the bottom of the table already.

I don't think we are any more unlucky than any other team (apart from the blessed at the top) and I don't think what some said would happen this season, after I was talking about 'it ain't right' (!) has happened. ie the team, manager, coaches will learn on the job and improve.

I think we've got worse.

That's my two pennies worth.

And I don't have the answer as to who in. In fact, now we are mid way through Jan, I'd not be getting rid of a manager anyway, unless we really do start to lose game after game (in a row).

And my feelings on the size of this club and the sort of manager pedigree we should be going for are pretty clear. We could have gone for Rodgers, we went for a manager at Brentford (who seem to be better without him, which worries me)

It is upsetting all this, because he is a Villa fan, a Villa man, and I'm sure it kills him and his friends and family.

But unless we go on a run, or see some improvement, I can only look at what I've seen so far and the whole lot look to have done a Fulham, made a pigs ear of it, and even if we stay up (unless we shoot up the league in some glorious style like when JG first came here) I would be changing direction in the summer, unless the owners aren't as ambitious as we all hope and think they are.
Didn't think he was up to the job and said it fairly publicly (SSN!) ... thought the job was too big for a man who had managed just Walsall and Brentford

Once appointed, same as most here I think, I hoped, was slightly enticed that he is Villa and remembered I never wanted John Gregory way back when.

Also, can't argue with those who rightly point out, he got us up. No one expected that before the 10 match unbeaten, I was already writing articles in my head about our new direction, players leaving, having to be in the Championship a long time, etc!

But football is about results, it is a brutal game and he looks to be shattered and out of his depth. I, like a few others, have questioned how buys these players, does Smith get any say? Purslow isn't in front of the cameras with the manager right now, he was before, (which I found odd, silly and 'off') and the DoF has obviously had a big say.

But I also don't see any decent basics, any good coaching, any shape, and if not for Jack, I think (just my opinion, not got stats to back this up) we'd be buried at the bottom of the table already.

I don't think we are any more unlucky than any other team (apart from the blessed at the top) and I don't think what some said would happen this season, after I was talking about 'it ain't right' (!) has happened. ie the team, manager, coaches will learn on the job and improve.

I think we've got worse.

That's my two pennies worth.

And I don't have the answer as to who in. In fact, now we are mid way through Jan, I'd not be getting rid of a manager anyway, unless we really do start to lose game after game (in a row).

And my feelings on the size of this club and the sort of manager pedigree we should be going for are pretty clear. We could have gone for Rodgers, we went for a manager at Brentford (who seem to be better without him, which worries me)

It is upsetting all this, because he is a Villa fan, a Villa man, and I'm sure it kills him and his friends and family.

But unless we go on a run, or see some improvement, I can only look at what I've seen so far and the whole lot look to have done a Fulham, made a pigs ear of it, and even if we stay up (unless we shoot up the league in some glorious style like when JG first came here) I would be changing direction in the summer, unless the owners aren't as ambitious as we all hope and think they are.

Why not try Pochettino - as said before ..... This is Aston Villa

Maybe he's been blocked from the WhatsApp group then as he was distancing himself after the man city 'match' saying he didn't know if pepe was due to sign and didn't know of any progress striker wise.

Hope those above don't hang him out to dry without doing the same to themselves

Dean agrees Pepe, other management negotiate and while that’s going on he hasn’t a clue until it’s over the line. If Dean doesn’t agree Pepe or any other buy, more fool him, he carries the can.

I like Dean Smith. I hope he is very successful as Aston Villa manager but we are very weak tactically. We are conceding the most shots per game on average of anyone in the league. Palace are having a comfortable season because Roy can organise a defence. You can't give the opposition 20 chances per match and expect to keep a clear sheet.

It's got to be down to tactics hasn't it, but it's bizzare. Usually teams are so open because they play so attacking, so it's a case of "You score 3 and we'll score 4", but we have somehow found a way of being completely open at the back while also being completely impotent up front.

It's a master class on how NOT to set up a football team.

As said if this was Remi Garde presiding over this shit, he's be out the door by now... promotion or not.

It's got to be down to tactics hasn't it, but it's bizzare. Usually teams are so open because they play so attacking, so it's a case of "You score 3 and we'll score 4", but we have somehow found a way of being completely open at the back while also being completely impotent up front.

It's a master class on how NOT to set up a football team.

As said if this was Remi Garde presiding over this shit, he's be out the door by now... promotion or not.
Completely impotent up front? Apart from having the most goals outside the top 7 or whatever, yeah, totally impotent. Can I make up stuff to have a go at him about as well?

Completely impotent up front? Apart from having the most goals outside the top 7 or whatever, yeah, totally impotent. Can I make up stuff to have a go at him about as well?

I'm thinking more recently. 7 goals in our last 8 premier League games. It's hardly free scoring is it? That 7 includes 3 Jack Grealish wonder strikes and a penalty too.

We don't exactly create/score loads of 'normal' scappy goals from inside the box do we? Or am I missing something?

Let`s be honest, he has been found out at this level.

I just hope we somehow stay in the division, even if it`s goal difference and everyone learns from mistakes.

This " we will go toe to toe " with anyone with the 4-3-3 formation has gone down the swanny now and it`s guesswork and gambles.

Yes he has been dealt some bad hands with injuries but i firmly believe they are no way near fit enough at this standard.

There was always going to be a learning curve for him. He’s new to this level, as is the majority of our squad. On some occasions however, we do seem to have been set up poorly. The home game against Brighton sticks out. They totally outplayed us but super jack stepped up and we robbed them.
I’m unsure whether he is learning and evolving, or he has been “found out”, but we need to know quickly. I think i’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for a couple of games at least!
He was certainly not a ready to go Prem manager, but i think most accept that.

I'm thinking more recently. 7 goals in our last 8 premier League games. It's hardly free scoring is it? That 7 includes 3 Jack Grealish wonder strikes and a penalty too.

We don't exactly create/score loads of 'normal' scappy goals from inside the box do we? Or am I missing something?

Yep, you're missing the fact we have no fit striker. But then that fact doesn't fit with the anti-Smith narrative.

Let`s be honest, he has been found out at this level.

I just hope we somehow stay in the division, even if it`s goal difference and everyone learns from mistakes.

This " we will go toe to toe " with anyone with the 4-3-3 formation has gone down the swanny now and it`s guesswork and gambles.

Yes he has been dealt some bad hands with injuries but i firmly believe they are no way near fit enough at this standard.

So those that aren't anti-Smith are dishonest?

Yep, you're missing the fact we have no fit striker. But then that fact doesn't fit with the anti-Smith narrative.

When Bruce left us without a recognised Centre Back it was all Bruces fault according to you lot.

Now we have no recognised striker and Smith gets off scott free? Double standards or what. Why the hell is he loaning players out and making Kodjia feel worthless when we have no other options? Why didn't he sign another striker in the summer? We were always one injury away from disaster.

But hey, if it's under Bruce it's his fault, if it's Smith we can blame Pitarch or Purslow.

That squad still has to many players in it that without jack and Tammy would still be bobbing around in the championship.
Nyland, elmohamdy, hurry up, landsbury, kodja, Taylor, Davis, Chester.

Status
Not open for further replies.