January 2020 Transfers | Page 22 | Vital Football

January 2020 Transfers

You’ve almost answered your own question YB
We have to blame the board and nothing will ever change until they change

Transfers are a funny business - not every signing comes off, even at the top clubs. Alexis Sanchez to United was a classic example of that. He cost them a fortune based on his excellent Arsenal form but they couldn’t get a tune out of him at United. Every fan in the land would’ve said that would be a good singing, a bit like Naismith to City was heralded at the time. I thought it was a good one then but shows how wrong you can be and that was with a player I’d watched numerous times.
Rupp and Duda, I’ve never seen play, I’d never seen Buendia and I’d never seen Zimbo, Leitner or Vrancic either. Overseas players can take time to settle with Vrancic a good example of that. It’s not an exact science and the Sanchez and Naismith deals show that it isn‘t just about throwing money at it, either.
Also, transfers aren’t always done “in order” of how us fans want them. I’ve seen lots of people on social media saying “why are we buying midfielders when we need a centre back?”
What if the centre backs we’re looking at are taking their time sorting out disputes with their current clubs or they want to come but the club want more money etc? In the meantime, should we just wait and let the midfielders go somewhere else while we wait for a CB?
Of course not, as long as we get one, that’s the main thing but we will need to move another non-homegrown player out of the squad as we are now at the limit of 17 with these two new boys, if we are looking at that Dutch lad, for example.
Leitner or Amadou to go, maybe?

Spanish left back linked but for 1.5 million way too much and in report it says hell get a relegation release clause and we are obviously going down so I can't see Webber doing this.

As I said Tucks still time to buy the needed players.

Leitner would be the most obvious as we have signed two players who can play in his roles and he hasn't featured in prem. He has posted videos of training with personal trainer and being in Germany (I think).

Fair points Tuckster BUT it should not be the case of waiting until end of January after 24 out of 38 games have already been played and mostly lost mainly to terrible defending by midfielders playing CB or CB's playing who should have been moved on.
The signing of a CB should have been made in July BEFORE the start of the season.

Of course targets are missed, mainly due to Smiffs small budget and as a result of not signing the right players in July, and the added reason of not wanting to sign in January for a club already relegated except in name.

Last edited:
We should have bought wisely in the summer like Sheff Utd did . They will survive and build next year , while we will become forgotten in the Championship and will not build but sell all our best players for the sake of Smiths self funding model ,so she can hand the club to Sleepy Silent Tom.

Tuckster - the 6' 4" Dutch lad is under 21 so the 25 man squad thing doesn't apply.

Also is Klose going to play a part in the second half of the season, if not then there's another slot open until the summer.

Is Leitner staying or moving? Might be another slot available.

Fair points Tuckster BUT it should not be the case of waiting until end of January after 24 out of 38 games have already been played and mostly lost mainly to terrible defending by midfielders playing CB or CB's playing who should have been moved on.
The signing of a CB should have been made in July BEFORE the start of the season.

Of course targets are missed, mainly due to Smiffs small budget and as a result of not signing the right players in July, and the added reason of not wanting to sign in January for a club already relegated except in name.
Can’t argue with any of that DG. The injury to Klose was a hammer blow and Hanley, although he‘s done ok since he came back, has been injured for a third of the season. Another younger CB was required back in the summer. I’ve read that Farke originally intended to play with three CBS in the PL with Godfrey playing the role of the passing CB. He’s barely had two fit at any one time. Bad luck or lack of foresight?
Whatever, it’s cost us.

Tuckster - the 6' 4" Dutch lad is under 21 so the 25 man squad thing doesn't apply.

Also is Klose going to play a part in the second half of the season, if not then there's another slot open until the summer.

Good point, I was wondering who’d be the first to notice that! ;) He sounds like exactly what we need.

Can’t argue with any of that DG. The injury to Klose was a hammer blow and Hanley, although he‘s done ok since he came back, has been injured for a third of the season. Another younger CB was required back in the summer. I’ve read that Farke originally intended to play with three CBS in the PL with Godfrey playing the role of the passing CB. He’s barely had two fit at any one time. Bad luck or lack of foresight?
Whatever, it’s cost us.
So he was going to play with 3 CBs but as I mentioned a while back he knew that Hanley had an injury in summer, Klose had an injury, Zimmermann needed surgery. Godfrey had a hernia but I think that was something that happened during the season. My opinion is if he was going to play 3 CBs then he needed another CB. Play with 2 and sure 4 is enough (as long as they are fit) but if you're going to play 3 each game then you'll need 5.

Klose is back training and I'm sure he said he'll be back February or early March.

I see that Aarons agents have said spurs are calling daily to get him to push through a deal this month.

Aarons doesn't seem like the kind of guy to jump ship now.

I see that Chelsea have recalled Gallagher from his loan at Charlton he has been linked with us but I can't see us getting another midfielder in. They have recalled him from Charlton as it is believed a higher club wants him and Chelsea want him to get experience at a higher level. Only us and Burnley from prem were rumoured to be interested.

The Spanish left back we have been linked with is Xavi Quintilla. He is 23 so still a good age and can play at CB. If we were to sign him would he be the Lewis replacement and byram then would be the Aarons replacement?

I see that Aarons agents have said spurs are calling daily to get him to push through a deal this month.

Aarons doesn't seem like the kind of guy to jump ship now.

Aarons has a wise head and I don't see Aarons moving before the summer where he shouldn't be sold for anything less than £45m.

I see that Chelsea have recalled Gallagher from his loan at Charlton he has been linked with us but I can't see us getting another midfielder in.

Depends where these players play in midfield:

Gallagher is suppose to be a DM but has netted six times for Charlton in the Championship.

Duda is primarily a central attacking midfield player

Ruup is central midfield. Question: Is he the DM or a ball playing CM who can also tackle a bit?

The Spanish left back we have been linked with is Xavi Quintilla. He is 23 so still a good age and can play at CB. If we were to sign him would he be the Lewis replacement and byram then would be the Aarons replacement?

Byram and Thomas will compete for the RB when Aarons moves (we also have another RB called Ethen Vaughan). Thomas has been training with the first team squad.

For any position you need at least two players competing for the first team shirt, so at LB you have Lewis and Quintilla (if he signs). That could turn out to be an interesting competition.

With Rupp and Duda now in do we think Thompson will be on the way out or will DF want him around