Words you can't stand | Page 3 | Vital Football

Words you can't stand

“Let’s go golfing”

no dickhead, let’s go and play golf

when people. Deliberately write short sentences. In order. For the level of impact. To be ramped up. (I’m thinking of any tech firm)

fella, chief, bud

Whenever I leave a supermarket check out or a shop I say thank you and goodbye with the reply, "See you later", drives me mad as I have no intention of returning the same day.

Inserting the word 'like' twenty times into each sentence without adding anything to the final product.
Sat near a woman in a restaurant a couple of days ago and she said "like" out of context literally dozens of times. I do mean literally by the way. Drove me nuts. It is my biggest pet hate.

Australian boosh fires discussed on TV news tonight. I really think there should be a limit on regional accents for national broadcasts if the word is pronounced completely differently, whereas some Scottish and Northern Irish presenters, for example, are very clear despite their regional accents.

No, look; yeah, hopefully: the frequently repeated mantras by sportsmen in post match and preview interviews to quickly draw a line under their weaknesses and talk up their chances. Look is especially characteristic of Australian cricketers and is used to make the point sound more important than it is.

Yeah no is a frequently used oxymoron (if I'm honest).

Last edited:
All words where people substitute and ‘f’ for a ‘th’ because they’re too fucking lazy to move their lips to speak propertly.

For instance, when people say ‘first’ instead of ‘thirst’. Or when someone says ‘free’ when they really mean ‘three’.

As above with "like", "so", "yeah no".
"Of" instead of "have".
Gameday
Dropzone
Soccer - just had a row with an Aussie in the streets of Hanoi 2 days ago over this.
The superfluous use of "anytime" when people say "anytime soon".
"Guys"
Boris - using his second name rather than his surname is playing up to his bullshit game.
"Undemocratic" when used by Brexit voters about the EU as if it is a fact when they don't know what they are talking about.

I'm such a miserable old git that I could fill up several series of Room 101 on my own.

Last edited:
Sat near a woman in a restaurant a couple of days ago and she said "like" out of context literally dozens of times. I do mean literally dozens of times by the way. It was so extreme that I actually began to feel a bit queasy. She was very loud so impossible to ignore. We left the restaurant earlier than we had planned because of her. It is my biggest pet hate.

As above with "like", "so", "yeah no".
"Of" instead of "have".
Gameday
Dropzone
Soccer - just had a row with an Aussie in the streets of Hanoi 2 days ago over this.
The superfluous use of "anytime" when people say "anytime soon".
"Guys"

I'm such a miserable old git that I could fill up several series of Room 101 on my own.

This is like group therapy for me.

Action.

“Great action here”

The use of action as a film or video game genre.

The worst use of the word is when your boss and co-workers say in every email: “Can you action this?” - particularly when it gets autocorrected to ‘auction’ because IT’S NOT EVEN PROPER USE OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE.

Combining words to make new ones like chillax can fuck off too. Clusterfuck is the only acceptable one to use.