Injuries | Vital Football

Injuries

Rexn

Vital Champions League
So Bruce blaming the fixture list and starting an investigation.

Remember this after Leicester? " 'In 20 years in management I don't think I've known a crazy 15 minutes like that ..... four players going down with injury. It was bizarre."

OK, so some of us would point to the injury list under McClaren, Pardew, Souness and others, all being old school British managers. Some might point to how the injured list was reduced under a Spanish coach.

On the other hand, here is a link to another club that suffered problems a few years ago:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/feb/09/wigan-athletic-steve-bruce-fulham-antonio-valencia

I can see Bruce's point. 4 in 15 minutes is nothing like 3 in 24 minutes (+ Rodallega).

At least the investigation could lead to another of Bruce's sleuthing literary masterpieces.

The medical staff at the club are the same as under Benitez. A period where Newcastle's injury record improved drastically. Whilst there is always a point to be made about the under investment in the squad, with little quality of depth. Bruce takes the blame here. The hapless Joelinton is an example from yesterday, supposedly had a groin strain but is left on. Players who aren't fit enough for the bench one week are then thrown into the starting eleven the next. Or perhaps look at Lejeune, an injury prone player coming back from serious injury he's then thrown into the most intensive period of fixtures of the season. Playing against Palace, Leicester , Manchester United and Everton. Four games in less than 10 days, Bruce got away with that one but across a season he can't and won't.

Leaving players on the pitch when injured is just as bad, The medical staff and manager surely know this. Just because you've used all the subs shouldn't be an excuse. Long gone are the days when you put an injured player on the wing as a passenger. Schar and ASM are two I can think of who were left on the pitch risking aggravating or even making the injury worse

This thread has taken me back to November 2018 (I think)

Eleven games into the season and sitting in the relegation zone due to a club record equalling, ten match losing run - Benitez was forced to make 3 substitutions because of injury

Perez came on for Muto
Schar came on for Lascelles
KI coming on for Shelvey

All 3 subs making a massive difference against a Watford side that had us under the cosh with Ki setting Perez up for the winner

Our first win of the season almost totally down to 3 enforced substitutions early on

Funny owld game

Last edited:
I was season ticket holder back then Mc when we had that 10 in a row defeats after a win against Leeds on the opening day. Difference was we were relegated that season. Going off on a tangent, that season had a few highs and lows. The highs: an away trip to Leeds and a 2-0 victory, a young lad Barton making his debut (I think) up against Joe Jordan. Got carried off in the first half (Barton), the Toon got battered but 2 breakaway goals by Micky Burns secured the points. Also that season had the good fortune to watch us play against one of the best footballers I've seen, Johnny Rep. Played for Bastia and scored a couple against us, the second goal was unreal.
The lows, relegation, Dixie McNeil scoring a 90th minute equaliser for Wrexham in the 3rd round of the cup

We must be the same vintage Mac i witnessed the Rep goal for Bastia was in the posh seats that night as a birthday treat and got a great view of him cracking into the top corner from about 35 yards

This thread has taken me back to November 2018 (I think)

Eleven games into the season and sitting in the relegation zone due to a club record equalling, ten match losing run - Benitez was forced to make 3 substitutions because of injury

Perez came on for Muto
Schar came on from Lascelles
KI coming on for Shelvey

All 3 subs making a massive difference against a Watford side that had us under the cosh with Ki setting Perez up for the winner

Out first win of the season almost totally down to 3 enforced substitutions early on

Funny owld game
:grinning: