Stacey West Expansion | Page 7 | Vital Football

Stacey West Expansion

It’s a 👍from me. Much safer than current seating. Perhaps have the upper tier safe standing and lower normal seats as we don’t all want to stand and I would imagine the rail could actually obstruct the view for some.
But isn’t the worry with standing over crowding? Would want that lower to the ground even though the word safe should mean it never gets that far.

Didn't notice the standing.

But as a model for new grounds, both location and design of Shrews is a poor one, bland boxy stands on edge of town next to retail park. Designated car park 15 min walk back then 30 min to get away mixing in with traffic from said retail park.

But as a model for new grounds, both location and design of Shrews is a poor one, bland boxy stands on edge of town next to retail park. Designated car park 15 min walk back then 30 min to get away mixing in with traffic from said retail park.
All the more disappointing when you remember Gay Meadow, perfect for the town centre and station.

.....plus no nearby watering holes and they even have to bus their own fans out to the stadium.

I think access is still the biggest issue. With the new fire/police station I don’t think there will ever be any direct access from South Park. It might be possible to re-open Sincil Bank itself as a club only access but not sure if that would be possible.

I’d high hopes for my first visit to the New Meadow but it left me underwhelmed.
Better than the early B&Q warehouse generation of new ground (Glumford and Bescott), but not a patch on the New York. At least the view from the away end was better than from the old shed at Gay Meadow.
I’d rather redevelop SB in stages than think a ground like that was “it” for the next 50+ years.

Thought the ground was decent by newish standards. Didn’t notice any safe standing areas at all. Best part about out of town grounds is that as an away fan you can get out and away pretty quick. Back to the car and away by 5-15 we were 50 miles on the way home by 6pm. At Posh, Ipswich and the Coventry game in Brum we were gridlocked in town centres for an hour afterwards.

Similar to Colchester, which is soulless.

May be - but a new stadium would cost more surely? I know we would have the money from the sale of the land at Sincil Bank but where would the rest come from?

And conversely club would need to buy land for any new stadium...and probably a larger site. So either any new site is on much cheaper land, or that part of the equation doesn't come into it (as a gain).

As far as cantilevers go, I know zero. How strong can a main girder be (in whatever zig zag type design) that goes from one roof end to the other? Can it support a roof across that whole length with just the post supports at either end?
I can understand that back in the pre-war days when football stands were built, that lots of posts were needed to hold up a long roof. Is that still the csse though? Has construction not moved on a lot?

Given this new Stacey West could be with us for at least another 20 years and possibly a lot longer, shouldn't it aim to be the best it can within the constraints we've got ?

Similar to Colchester, which is soulless.

Colchester have managed to achieve the ultimate in soullessness. At least Shrewsbury do have fans to populate most of the stadium. But like Colchester, the wide open corners though do nothing to stop the elements blowing cold weather in throughout the stadium.

You can reel a handful out of town and/or breeze block and/or soulless and/or lego stadiums - Chesterfield (admittedly they tried to do slightly different with the design by having curved roofs), Colchester, Shrewsbury, Burton.

Thing is we cant have it all ways.
If you want a city centre stadium it's going to come with traffic congestion theres no getting away from it. Even if we built a brand new stadium on tritton road or on the A46 bypass there would still be problems with traffic getting away from the ground theres no escape from it.
We are not like Scunny, Walsall, Rotherham and Shrewsbury, they were all in grounds that were rotting and falling down around them. Over the last 30 odd years or whatever it has been Sincil Bank has been totally rebuilt, some of it good some of it very bad. The St. Andrew's new stand is one of the worst designed stands I have ever seen at a football stadium. How on earth those plans to build that stand were passed by the board of directors in charge then I will never know.
The rest of the ground is ok but the Stacy West is as bad a stand as any of those at Scunny or Walsall and redevelopment of that stand to increase capacity and install modern facilities and bring it into the 21st century would be a good thing.
One of the reasons to move grounds these days is to build the facilities that can provide you with not only a modern football stadium but additional income from having much better catering opportunities and a first class fan zone plus other income streams that can be built into a new stadium.
I would love us to move to a Rotherham type stadium within the city but that is many years and many millions of pounds away. In the meantime if we could update the Stacey West, extend the Selenity stand and do a few other bits that should be sufficient for us in the short to medium term future.

The rest of the ground is ok but the Stacy West is as bad a stand as any of those at Scunny or Walsall and redevelopment of that stand to increase capacity and install modern facilities and bring it into the 21st century would be a good thing.
I’m pretty certain the the Stacey West was built by the same contractor as Glanford Park and other than entering from the side is identical to Scunnys end stands so it certainly is as bad.

Thing is we cant have it all ways.
If you want a city centre stadium it's going to come with traffic congestion theres no getting away from it. Even if we built a brand new stadium on tritton road or on the A46 bypass there would still be problems with traffic getting away from the ground theres no escape from it.
We are not like Scunny, Walsall, Rotherham and Shrewsbury, they were all in grounds that were rotting and falling down around them. Over the last 30 odd years or whatever it has been Sincil Bank has been totally rebuilt, some of it good some of it very bad. The St. Andrew's new stand is one of the worst designed stands I have ever seen at a football stadium. How on earth those plans to build that stand were passed by the board of directors in charge then I will never know.
One of the reasons to move grounds these days is to build the facilities that can provide you with not only a modern football stadium but additional income from having much better catering opportunities and a first class fan zone plus other income streams that can be built into a new stadium.
I would love us to move to a Rotherham type stadium within the city but that is many years and many millions of pounds away. In the meantime if we could update the Stacey West, extend the Selenity stand and do a few other bits that should be sufficient for us in the short to medium term future.
Selenity stand is the way it is because of relegation out of the league, reduced by half as a panic measure by the then board to manage costs. As one of the first post-Bradford stands, it is however incredibly wasteful of space.

Thought the ground was decent by newish standards. Didn’t notice any safe standing areas at all. Best part about out of town grounds is that as an away fan you can get out and away pretty quick.

The safe standing area was the top part of the home end.

The worst part of out of town grounds is getting to and from them when you don't travel by car.

The safe standing area was the top part of the home end.

The worst part of out of town grounds is getting to and from them when you don't travel by car.

And even travelling by car has its problems as these out of town places have a far smaller number of places to park.

And far less pubs etc to go to too.