Bury | Page 108 | Vital Football

Bury

Listened to an interesting interview on the radio with Lisa Nandy, she is the Labour MP from Wigan who may stand in the Labour leadership contest. She used the demise of Bury FC as an example of how the authorities didnt help and just stood by and let a good club like Bury fold leading to a further collapse of the community feeling in Northern towns. She failed to mention the corrupt and rank bad financial management by the owner and the spending of money he didn’t have that many would call cheating was the reason for the situation. She has the credentials to go to the very top of her party.
She obviously doesn't know the old line "keep politics out of sport". Particularly pertinent, if you know nothing about one, the other, or both!

Listened to an interesting interview on the radio with Lisa Nandy, she is the Labour MP from Wigan who may stand in the Labour leadership contest. She used the demise of Bury FC as an example of how the authorities didnt help and just stood by and let a good club like Bury fold leading to a further collapse of the community feeling in Northern towns. She failed to mention the corrupt and rank bad financial management by the owner and the spending of money he didn’t have that many would call cheating was the reason for the situation. She has the credentials to go to the very top of her party.

Co-incidentally, James Frith lost his seat at the recent election...

Or, indeed, any political party. Let's not pretend Labour have a monopoly on mendacity.

In my day a Labour politician would always be the first to call out the flaws and corruption inherent in the capitalist economic model, so a bit of an oversight on her part - now wonder Labour is in such a mess!

She is from the right of the party so capitalist corruption is something they let go to try and curry favour with the Star/Sun/Express/Metro/Mail/London Evening Standard/Times/Telegraph.

And to contrast, not saying they are pro left but the remaining national newspapers are the Mirror/Guardian (and Observer)/Independent. Slight imbalance there.

She is from the right of the party so capitalist corruption is something they let go to try and curry favour with the Star/Sun/Express/Metro/Mail/London Evening Standard/Times/Telegraph.

And to contrast, not saying they are pro left but the remaining national newspapers are the Mirror/Guardian (and Observer)/Independent. Slight imbalance there.

Newspapers - which have been increasingly unimportant over the years - are in the business of selling advertising, so they reflect the views of their readers, they don't seek to change them.

The Metro is a centre left leaning paper despite being owned by the same people who own The Daily Mail.

That goes for local papers as well. How well do you think the Liverpool Echo would sell if it championed the Tories or Brexit?

That the Star has any political affiliation is news to me though.

I don't have time to read this stuff. Hully! Summary! ;)

Well seeing as you asked nicely, even if it was in jest:
According to that article it remains very unclear and there are 3 possible options floating around. Dale still owns Bury and for reasons that are not immediately obvious he has actually finally opened his wallet and paid a settlement to Inland Revenue although there remains the shadow of them still being wound up at a CVA hearing in January. There is supposedly (I know) an interested consortium. Meanwhile Supporter's Group Forever Bury have found a chap (Benwell) who would like to buy the ground on the cheap, for example when/if it ever goes into receivership to retain the link with the current club. The plan C is the one whereby other Bury fans have set up a completely unconnected club (A bit like FC United of Manchester?) to start again in the lower echelons of non league. Whilst doubts remain about Benwell being able to fulfil the criteria to finance buying Gigg Lane it may be desirable for the new club to combine with him and Forever Bury to enable a Bury club in whatever guise to remain at the ground.

Last edited:
There is still no sign of the CVA being settled; due back in court on 16 January.

Just had a read through Robert Benwell's corporate history at Companies House - very interesting...

Perhaps Bury, Bolton and Macclesfield could merge and the new super-club could not play anywhere, ever, despite many promises to the contrary and once a fortnight they could all gather in a stadium and point the finger at everyone else, as there is clearly no responsibility in football, and even if there was, it wouldn't be their fault.

Have I blown my Christmas wish by making it public?

Bury fans are in a difficult position because they either wait for the current Bury to play again, but have no guarantee they ever will, or start over again with a view of watching their new side next season. With the amount of work involved, they're probably right to start a phoenix club now if they want to start playing next season but I can imagine the fan base is quite split as to whether to stick or twist.

Bury fans are in a difficult position because they either wait for the current Bury to play again, but have no guarantee they ever will, or start over again with a view of watching their new side next season. With the amount of work involved, they're probably right to start a phoenix club now if they want to start playing next season but I can imagine the fan base is quite split as to whether to stick or twist.

Perhaps, but I suspect any faith they had in the current incumbent being interested in the football club, rather than his own pocket, or his personal reputation will have long faded. He seems to have done nothing to signal any intent to re-establish the club and now only has until February to launch an application for a place in any league in 2020/21.

My personal preference (as someone who has no links with Bury) would be to lend all my support to a Phoenix club and do all I could to close down the existing structure in the hope that some of it can be salvaged and re-united with the new formation somewhere down the line.