The Official January 2020 Transfer Window Thread. | Page 27 | Vital Football

The Official January 2020 Transfer Window Thread.

Mitrovic has two problems he's a dirty player and he's a bit slow but seems to have everything else we'd expect Wesley to have.

Did they pay £25m? for him? Can't see him coming in Jan as they need him to get promoted.

Anyway we don't know what dean thinks and he's definitely his own man

It is Stephen.
Mitrovic has two problems he's a dirty player and he's a bit slow but seems to have everything else we'd expect Wesley to have.

Did they pay £25m? for him? Can't see him coming in Jan as they need him to get promoted.

Anyway we don't know what dean thinks and he's definitely his own man
Mitrovic a dirty player? Thank goodness we didn't sign those dirty, aggressive players such as Hitchens, Hateley, Lochhead,Gray,Carew, Benteke and the always underated Leonard. More than one way to skin a cat.

With Fulham pushing for promotion I dont see them letting Mitro go in January. If they dont get back up first time, they may well want him off the wages next Summer though.

We need a striker that can fit in straight away. If we are going to stay in this league, we don't want the burden of training another one on how to become a successful premiership striker after 20 games.

I may sound like a stuck record but still think we should show our ambition and go for someone like Callum Wilson. Proven premiership player, above average striker and at the right age. I remember when City won the lottery and went straight in for proven strikers in the league - ok they failed with Berbatov but landed Bellamy, Santa Cruz etc so why can't we do the same? A Wilson or even a Danny Ings would improve us up front with no real reason to 'bed them in' so to speak... what we don't need is another big money signing who is unproven at this level.
Outside the so called 'big six' there is no club more attractive than Villa for ambitious players to ply their trade.. It would also weaken the teams around us who are competing for survival/ mid table places.

I may sound like a stuck record but still think we should show our ambition and go for someone like Callum Wilson. Proven premiership player, above average striker and at the right age. I remember when City won the lottery and went straight in for proven strikers in the league - ok they failed with Berbatov but landed Bellamy, Santa Cruz etc so why can't we do the same? A Wilson or even a Danny Ings would improve us up front with no real reason to 'bed them in' so to speak... what we don't need is another big money signing who is unproven at this level.
Outside the so called 'big six' there is no club more attractive than Villa for ambitious players to ply their trade.. It would also weaken the teams around us who are competing for survival/ mid table places.

Danny Ings is hot right now but he's injury prone. Unfortunately, proven PL strikers don't hang around the bottom end of the league for long.

I think we'll have to 'make our own' by bringing in someone from outside the PL who is or can become that striker for us.

I would be seriously surprised if any of the mid table sides would be willing to sell a proven goalscorer to us.

A. Why would they want to strengthen their competition.
B. If they did agree to sell, it would be for an extortionate fee.
C. The above doesn't fit the outline for our transfer policy that Purslow has set out.

The only way that happens is if we abandon what Purslow has stated is in place, get taken for a financial ride and the play in question throws a paddy to force a move, which even that doesn't really guarantee a club would sell.

I would be seriously surprised if any of the mid table sides would be willing to sell a proven goalscorer to us.

A. Why would they want to strengthen their competition.
B. If they did agree to sell, it would be for an extortionate fee.
C. The above doesn't fit the outline for our transfer policy that Purslow has set out.

The only way that happens is if we abandon what Purslow has stated is in place, get taken for a financial ride and the play in question throws a paddy to force a move, which even that doesn't really guarantee a club would sell.

I agree that no team wants to sell their best players. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't at least try with an offer if it's a player that will add considerable improvement on the pitch. Deano has said the aim of the owners is to crack the top six within the next few years. We stand a much better chance of achieving that goal if we flex our financial muscles with the teams around us.
We could easily blow 45 to 50 Mill in Jan on an unproven winger and striker - or we could at least test the resolve of clubs who have proven talent in the premier league. I realise it's a long time ago now but under John Gregory we would go after and get players their clubs did not want to sell - Carbone, Stone, Dublin etc and yes it's a different time now but the successful clubs over the last few years - City, Spurs, Chelsea and in particular Liverpool have adopted this model to a certain degree so why shouldn't we?
Don't get me wrong I am ecstatic that we have the owners we have and I am in know doubt they will eventually get Villa back to where we belong...but if they think the way to do this is to avoid paying big on proven premier league talent and relying on overseas players with promise to improve our success on the pitch I fear a top six finish may well be beyond us for a little longer than just "the next few years"

I agree that no team wants to sell their best players. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't at least try with an offer if it's a player that will add considerable improvement on the pitch. Deano has said the aim of the owners is to crack the top six within the next few years. We stand a much better chance of achieving that goal if we flex our financial muscles with the teams around us.
We could easily blow 45 to 50 Mill in Jan on an unproven winger and striker - or we could at least test the resolve of clubs who have proven talent in the premier league. I realise it's a long time ago now but under John Gregory we would go after and get players their clubs did not want to sell - Carbone, Stone, Dublin etc and yes it's a different time now but the successful clubs over the last few years - City, Spurs, Chelsea and in particular Liverpool have adopted this model to a certain degree so why shouldn't we?
Don't get me wrong I am ecstatic that we have the owners we have and I am in know doubt they will eventually get Villa back to where we belong...but if they think the way to do this is to avoid paying big on proven premier league talent and relying on overseas players with promise to improve our success on the pitch I fear a top six finish may well be beyond us for a little longer than just "the next few years"
I hear you mate and get your point.

As you say, there's no harm in trying, is there.

If we were say, another two years down the line and we'd established ourselves in the top half, I would probably be with you pushing for this kind of thing.

If we're being realistic though, I can't see it happening, not now at least.

I'd love to be wrong though and get to witness us throwing our weight about in January signing Callum Wilson, Wilfred Zaha and other mid-table performers haha.

It is Stephen.
Mitrovic a dirty player? Thank goodness we didn't sign those dirty, aggressive players such as Hitchens, Hateley, Lochhead,Gray,Carew, Benteke and the always underated Leonard. More than one way to skin a cat.

I'd say they were hard players not snidey underhanded like the modern dirty player , probably cheat is a better term Plus the fact the modern game doesn't allow it these days

I hear you mate and get your point.

As you say, there's no harm in trying, is there.

If we were say, another two years down the line and we'd established ourselves in the top half, I would probably be with you pushing for this kind of thing.

If we're being realistic though, I can't see it happening, not now at least.

I'd love to be wrong though and get to witness us throwing our weight about in January signing Callum Wilson, Wilfred Zaha and other mid-table performers haha.

Exactly this! Perhaps I'm getting a little carried away with our ambition considering we have only just been promoted and it's all about survival this year.. so yeah I agree may well be a little premature to go after the Wilson's and Zaha's of the world at this stage of our rebuild...doesn't stop an old timer from dreaming though!

I'd say they were hard players not snidey underhanded like the modern dirty player , probably cheat is a better term Plus the fact the modern game doesn't allow it these days
. So if Mitrovic is a dirty player and the modern players can't get away with it these days,how come the Fulham striker prospers?

. So if Mitrovic is a dirty player and the modern players can't get away with it these days,how come the Fulham striker prospers?

Shifty fucker, elbows off the ball and things like that.
I don't expect us to be paying £30m for him, we seem to want to prove Wesley is the next Ronaldo, the one with the buck teeth