Cook... The Referendum | Page 23 | Vital Football

Cook... The Referendum

Should Paul Cook be retained?

• Total voters
I fear this is a big part of the problem - Cook has low standards of what he is happy with. He doesn't seem to strive for excellence or demand more from his players in everything we do -.....

Now that, I agree with. (Not so much the sentence I omitted).

He does himself no favours here.

I think we will beat Reading, then fail to beat Luton
If we drop into the bottom three even the occasional win won’t be enough. Some are blinded by league position. Not dropping into the bottom three (so far) has convinced ‘em we’re doing just fine.

If we remain in the relegation places, week after week, it’ll ram home how we need to do better. It gets tiring seeing us always a poor result or two away from the bottom three. We should be looking to establish ourselves in mid-table with ambitions to push on. Fill the fans with excitement rather than dread.

Have to say that despite Chey Dunkley's efforts ... the lack of goals from attacking players is downright embarrassing. The team on Tuesday were always looking to attack but the quality of the finishing is just not there ... pre season standard (or worse).
Anthony Pilkington's shot around 50 minutes ..wtf was he thinking. Was it Anthony Robinson in acres of space to his left ?

18 games played - 16 Goals Scored - 28 conceded (ouch)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/championship/top-scorers
Millwall currently have 3 players in that list.

Last edited:
Have to say that despite Chey Dunkley's efforts ... the lack of goals from attacking players is downright embarrassing. The team on Tuesday were always looking to attack but the quality of the finishing is just not there ... pre season standard (or worse).
Anthony Pilkington's shot around 50 minutes ..wtf was he thinking. Was it Anthony Robinson in acres of space to his left ?

18 games played - 16 Goals Scored - 28 conceded (ouch)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/championship/top-scorers
Millwall currently have 3 players in that list.

Barnsely have a player in there - who got less goals than Moore last season.

Did we buy the wrong striker or is it down to the way we play?

He's scored 2 in 5 for Wales and he has a very similar ratio (21 in 51) for Barnsley: suggests he's a pretty decent striker IF he gets the service.

Got to be honest i've been very disapointed so far after being one of the people very excited we were getting him. Based on just what he's done in a Wigan shirt he looks like a big lad who doesn't know how to play football. I've not seen him for Wales but apparently he's been superb and got man of the match in 2 games ahead of the likes of Wilson and Bale, which i find quite mind boggling based on what he's looked like for us. So it does suggest there is a lot more to him that we aren't seeing - so i'm very interested to see what another manager will do with him.

Got to be honest i've been very disapointed so far after being one of the people very excited we were getting him. Based on just what he's done in a Wigan shirt he looks like a big lad who doesn't know how to play football. I've not seen him for Wales but apparently he's been superb and got man of the match in 2 games ahead of the likes of Wilson and Bale, which i find quite mind boggling based on what he's looked like for us. So it does suggest there is a lot more to him that we aren't seeing - so i'm very interested to see what another manager will do with him.

Wales play off of him in a very different way. They're not shelling it in to him from distance. He can actually get the ball down and knock first-time passes about. Wales also, whilst playing the same formation as we do, make sure players move off the ball better.

All that is moot though if you're conceding cheap goals and I just don't think we're anything like compact enough. Any side who can keep the ball decently well will have enough space and time to find players and that's why Millwall dragged us back twice. It is also why we conceded late - players are making longer runs than thet need to.

Its now obvious that booing the players or the manager won't get Cook sacked. Only a continuation of shit results will do that. We all might as well get behind them in every match because if ( big if ) we go on a winning run he survives ( and so do we ) but if not he gets the push.

Win/win surely for some.

Has anyone decided to change their vote ???

I have Zakky, I said I'd give him until after the Reading game, I genuinely thought at the time of posting that I'd still be torn and unable to decide, but the Reading debacle made it easy for me, I've scaled the fence, said hello to Moonay on the way over and hurled myself into the outstretched waiting arms of MiW and KDZ.
I have to say, it's very crowded over this side !!
Cook Out !

I have Zakky, I said I'd give him until after the Reading game, I genuinely thought at the time of posting that I'd still be torn and unable to decide, but the Reading debacle made it easy for me, I've scaled the fence, said hello to Moonay on the way over and hurled myself into the outstretched waiting arms of MiW and KDZ.
Cook Out !

:clap: :clap:

Cook Out !

Welcome to the dark side, we've been expecting you...

But seriously i wish it would have been the other way around and we improved enough for the likes of me and MiW to admit we've been wrong for the past 12 months and now be jumping back to the 'Cook in' side of the fence. But unfortunately it's just gone from bad to worse.

I guess at least Cook is removing all the division on the board by uniting everyone in the opinion he has to go. Don't think there has been virtually any arguments lately as most folks agreeing - on here, at the ground, on any social media, unless i've missed it i've not heard anyone saying they want Cook to stay it's a united front from what i can tell.

I suspect most folks who voted wont bother changing their vote but if we ran it again i'm not sure many would click the 'Cook to stay' option. We are in Joyce and Malky territory now - which shows the massive deterioration in the quality of our football as about 18 months ago Cook was universally popular. Very sad it's been allowed to go this far and when Cook leaves the good work he initially did will likely have been undermined by what damage will be done to his reputation and the club by keeping him this long. All parties need a fresh start at this point and continuing like this is detrimental for all parties.

Last edited:
Welcome to the dark side, we've been expecting you...

But seriously i wish it would have been the other way around and we improved enough for the likes of me and MiW to admit we've been wrong for the past 12 months and now be jumping back to the 'Cook in' side of the fence. But unfortunately it's just gone from bad to worse.

I guess at least Cook is removing all the division on the board by uniting everyone in the opinion he has to go. Don't think there has been virtually any arguments lately as most folks agreeing - on here, at the ground, on any social media, unless i've missed it i've not heard anyone saying they want Cook to stay it's a united front from what i can tell.

I suspect most folks who voted wont bother changing their vote but if we ran it again i'm not sure many would click the 'Cook to stay' option. We are in Joyce and Malky territory now - which shows the massive deterioration in the quality of our football as about 18 months ago Cook was universally popular. Very sad it's been allowed to go this far and when Cook leaves the good work he initially did will likely have been undermined by what damage will be done to his reputation and the club by keeping him this long. All parties need a fresh start at this point and continuing like this is detrimental for all parties.

I don't think it's a case of being right or wrong, it's impossible to know for certian because we cannot run both scenarios and so can only ever guess one of the outcomes. We can only ever have an opinion (which was why the Caldwell debate rumbled on and on long after he was sacked).

Even with the benefit of hindsight, I personally would definitely not have sacked him 12 month ago as he achieved what I wanted him to do, which was keep us up. I'm still happy with my personal decision to give him as long as the Reading game this season to try and turn things around, but I honestly can't see a way forward for the club now given the overwhelming animosity towards Cook which is now affecting individual players and team performance during games and I feel the only way forward for this squad is to remove the source of the fans discontent.

I'll still support the players / team during games, I'm not going to get on Cooks back as I believe it's detrimental to the team, but I'll not be upset or disagree with the decision if someone does finally pull the trigger.

I also reserve the right to clamber back over the fence if he does manage to turn things around :grinning:, I just can't see it happening now, where as I still believed he might be able to a month ago.