Aston Villa v Newcastle Match Thread - Mon 25 Nov, 8pm | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Newcastle Match Thread - Mon 25 Nov, 8pm

JuanPabloAngel

Alert Team
Right. Now that the international nonsense is out of the way, we can get back to proper football.

Newcastle come to B6 next Monday night, unbeaten in the last three and having won the last two. By contrast, we are on a three-game losing run, coming off our worst performance of the season against Wolves last time out.

This is a game from which we need to get something - at the very least, we need to stop the rot, but ideally, we need all three points - these are the games which will define our season. We need to finish above the likes of Newcastle if we are to stay up.

Thoughts, fine folks?

Think you summed it up pretty well.

Feel a bit nervous about it given they're in a good bit of form and we're not.

Three points really is important here with our run of fixtures.

I remember reading that most of Newcastle's goals have been scored by defenders so far and their front line is really struggling. Hopefully, that means their luck runs out soon in that regard and we're really solid from set-pieces, assuming that's where their defenders are scoring from.

Think their full-backs have been doing well, as well.

We know how Bruce plays and we're likely to have lots of ball. Bruce always struggled against Smith's Brentford when he was in charge of us, hoping that trend continues.

I think this one is going to depend on who's fit.
1) Will Heaton and or Steer be fit.
2) Will Engels be fit.
3) Will Targett be fit.
4) Will Nakamba, Luis, McGinn and Grealish be fit.
5) Will Wesley stay on his feet. Will he be interested?

Absolute 100% no excuses must win game. There's absolutely no reason why we can't win this game and it is of huge importance that we do with Watford starting to throw some good shapes together.

Not only is it a must win game, its also one we need to win comfortably a la Norwich away. Most of the players know exactly how Bruce will approach this game, as does the assistant manager. The fans will be up for it, its important the players show us what they're about.

Wesley usually comes back with a bit of a bang when we get on his back, so we should see a couple of goals from him.

I think this one is going to depend on who's fit.
1) Will Heaton and or Steer be fit.
2) Will Engels be fit.
3) Will Targett be fit.
4) Will Nakamba, Luis, McGinn and Grealish be fit.
5) Will Wesley stay on his feet. Will he be interested?

1 - neither.
2 - no idea.
3 - yes.
4 - should be inc Jack he's back on BM pitches.
5 - probably not.

Massive game in which we can't afford a repeat of the "performances" at wolves or palace or Brighton (1st half 11v11).
If we fail to win it will be an enormous blow.
Massive pressure game as we could well be in the drop zone by the time we kick off.

Massive game in which we can't afford a repeat of the "performances" at wolves or palace or Brighton (1st half 11v11).
If we fail to win it will be an enormous blow.
Massive pressure game as we could well be in the drop zone by the time we kick off.

No we won't.
Unless Saints and Watford turnaround -15 and -12.
goal difference respectively .

This game will not relegate us nor keep us up. So it is not must win for those reasons.

It is however a huge game for confidence of both players and fans after the last 3 games.
The Liverpool game dented confidence and it showed against wolves
It will relegate us. There's no point making excuses, we're not picking up points anywhere we aren't expected to so how are we going to amass the necessary points to stay in the league if we can't beat Newcastle at home?

It will relegate us. There's no point making excuses, we're not picking up points anywhere we aren't expected to so how are we going to amass the necessary points to stay in the league if we can't beat Newcastle at home?

Not making excuses. It's a fact. No one gets relegated in November.

Did you think we were not getting promoted in March this year?.

We're still adjusting to the league as a whole, let alone the new players who have never even played in the second tier, so when they are better adjusted in the New Year whose to say we won't pick up unexpected points then?

We're still adjusting to the league as a whole, let alone the new players who have never even played in the second tier, so when they are better adjusted in the New Year whose to say we won't pick up unexpected points then?

Yes. It's not beyond the realms that we get a win against a so called big team before the seasons out. We have shown enough not to discount that possibility.

100% for me, fine margins, individual errors, not taking our own chance to make it 2-0 and keep momentum. It's all a learning curve.

It's early enough in the season to know we aren't going to be challenging for Europe. We're also not going to be playing catchup, cast adrift in last place. Everything else remains open for debate.

But our aim is where we currently are - whether by points or goal difference. And if not, we're still streets ahead of where we were when we went down - ala Burnley a few seasons back.

If we win our last 3 matches of this year (Soton, Watford, Norwich) and lose all the others we'll still be on course to stay up. Just. I reckon we can do better than that.

Don't think Liverpool dented our confidence. Frustrating, yes, but couldn't fault the lads and we were ready to go again :sorry: Think we lost our composure against Wolves, probably due to the series of enforced changes. With more experience we can cope with that. Whatever, I think we'll be back on track against Newcastle. Unless the squad goes down with flu.

Hope we treat Bruce with the respect he deserves. How about a plate of cabbage in a cheese sauce :halo:

For some reason, I had it in my head that we had a decent record against Newcastle. I guess I remember the Bowyer/Dyer bust up, the Carew hat-trick, sending them down etc....

However in reality, we've not beaten them home or away in our last 12 meetings!! (6 defeats and 6 draws)

That's shocking and MUST be put right on Monday!

Our last win was April 2011. o_O