Standing - Sit Down! | Page 4 | Vital Football

Standing - Sit Down!

Given the authorities don't really like football fans (as epitomised by standing/drinking in other sports) the option is easy.

Threaten to remove the safety certificate to make a point in a given stand, and simply agree only season ticket holders or pre-bought tickets clearly trackable to an individual fan are sold (ie no match day cash).

Insist on a doubling of security by whatever mean necessary and clamp down on standing with ejections. Each fan ejected is given a final warning....

Repeat one month later and, in order to comply with the spirit and the letter of the rules, clubs are forced to give out 12 month bans to any fan who gets ejected for a second time.

And so on...

The authorities take control and won't care they are hated for it, clubs can lean directly on the authorities for being the bastards here and given the press it would create, fans know where the new line is almost overnight.

Pretty simple really. Then once that test is done, match day tickets become a thing of the past and they can introduce new terms and conditions requiring fans to prove identity/trackability to ensure future compliance.

Given the authorities don't really like football fans (as epitomised by standing/drinking in other sports) the option is easy.

Threaten to remove the safety certificate to make a point in a given stand, and simply agree only season ticket holders or pre-bought tickets clearly trackable to an individual fan are sold (ie no match day cash).

Insist on a doubling of security by whatever mean necessary and clamp down on standing with ejections. Each fan ejected is given a final warning....

Repeat one month later and, in order to comply with the spirit and the letter of the rules, clubs are forced to give out 12 month bans to any fan who gets ejected for a second time.

And so on...

The authorities take control and won't care they are hated for it, clubs can lean directly on the authorities for being the bastards here and given the press it would create, fans know where the new line is almost overnight.

Pretty simple really. Then once that test is done, match day tickets become a thing of the past and they can introduce new terms and conditions requiring fans to prove identity/trackability to ensure future compliance.

How about they stop being such fannies and let football fans stand if they want?

are you confirming my suspicion that speeding is safe and I can indeed continue by the way? Hope so, although a bit frustrating as I've just traded in my 3 litre twin turbo motor to try to slow down a bit!

It is indeed and you have my blessing to go as fast as you like on the motorway. If you get a speeding ticket, tell them I gave you permission and they'll rip it up.

Some big arse posts in here! I’m a couple of rows behind Tom in L8, I like it there despite having mates in other areas because of price and the atmosphere standing creates.

Give us safe standing and the problem goes away. I know or have heard people (usually older) who sit in the Holte who don’t like standing, surely the family stands are more their thing and this shouldn’t be excessive standing for the enjoyment of the elderly and kids.

Hope safe standing isn’t far away, but it’s been going on a while now just hope it doesn’t lose momentum.

Some big arse posts in here! I’m a couple of rows behind Tom in L8, I like it there despite having mates in other areas because of price and the atmosphere standing creates.

Give us safe standing and the problem goes away. I know or have heard people (usually older) who sit in the Holte who don’t like standing, surely the family stands are more their thing and this shouldn’t be excessive standing for the enjoyment of the elderly and kids.

Hope safe standing isn’t far away, but it’s been going on a while now just hope it doesn’t lose momentum.
As a pensioner, I say, bring on the safe standing.

End of the day it’s a ‘problem’ because people want to stand, if everyone just sat down then there’d be no ‘problem’ and there’d be no safe standing campaign. Until the legislation changes and the rail seating is brought in the ‘problem’ will continue. Fines, reducing allocations etc. won’t fix the ‘problem’ much the same as fining the Bulgarian FA won’t suddenly cure their race problem. Time for the authorities to make a common sense decision and give people the choice so I’ll keep standing and keep the pressure up.

The problem here is that we the fans are an unfortunate nusiance that the FA would love to make go away if they could.
We dont fit into their cosy little corporate world. Ideally they would like to have total control over everything in the game and just show it on the TV with piped crowd noise.
They treat us with total contempt and unless we make ourselves and our feelings known about the direction the modern game is going they will continue to do just as they want. Ditto the Premier League.

:(:surrender::ban::spam::ban:
Legislation aside, as that is a bit of a different argument / debate we've all had before. I say in the article to this out this evening, that the problem was never standing, it was being put in cages. But at the moment, it is what it is, this is the law. I don't like driving at 30mph but can't choose otherwise without the sanctions of fines/losing my license.

Why is it fair that the club will end up being fined for 'us' flouting the rules?

The thing is, from what I've had communicated to me, 'we' as fans seem to think there is a choice and we choose to stand. There isn't a choice. Why is it ok to say 'I don't want to sit down' when we all know the stadium is all seater? And why would you feel it is comparible to being at home if you sit down? I don't get that argument at all.

All my questions in this thread are out of interest to the debate, not arguing the points btw, not having a go!

I did say at the FCG that I think things were left too long to do much about it now, short of extreme actions and let's be honest, they can't get enough stewards into the ground to force people to sit and I can't see hundreds of police being deployed to do it. The fact a blind eye was given for so long at away games where pretty much everyone stands, is now / has now filtered into home stands.

The fact remains many are having their match experience completely ruined to the point some are being forced not to attend. So those insisting on standing (because they can) are surely being totally selfish to the needs of other fellow fans?

(Questions open to everyone , not just Tom!)

Yes,brother a life long Villan,was forced to leave his beloved Holte End as fans in front stood up for much of the ninety minutes. He said he could have tolerated matters but almost continual standing defeated him. Off topic,still hurt by clubs balls up re the Liverpool game. How they can lower prices for away fans and charge Villa fans more to watch Villa squad 11 v Redscouse Youth is simply inept.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can confirm the Labour Party are against safe standing I had a letter from my MP telling me my support for safe standing wasn't something his part was for.
So if Steptoe and Diane Abbott haven't hadn't already killed their chances this is just something else

I can confirm the Labour Party are against safe standing I had a letter from my MP telling me my support for safe standing wasn't something his part was for.
So if Steptoe and Diane Abbott haven't hadn't already killed their chances this is just something else

That’s odd because 2/3 years ago when I emailed my local MP to tell him to get behind safe standing he said he’d already signed his name to back it and he’s labour.

Just get a news reporter to put Abbott on the spot with the camera rolling and who knows what she’ll sign up for.

So again, I like what I'm doing, even though it isn't actually allowed, so those who don't want to do it, despite perhaps having been there for decades, should move?

Unless you have kids, you can't go in the family stand btw. I know a few who have had to move out as soon as their kids turned 16 - they don't get the choice to flout the rules and stay in there, but others feel the sense of entitlement to flout the rules and stand.

Bit unfair innit?

The problem here is that we the fans are an unfortunate nusiance that the FA would love to make go away if they could.
We dont fit into their cosy little corporate world. Ideally they would like to have total control over everything in the game and just show it on the TV with piped crowd noise.
They treat us with total contempt and unless we make ourselves and our feelings known about the direction the modern game is going they will continue to do just as they want. Ditto the Premier League.

What does other fans wanting to be able to sit down in an all-seater stadium have to do with corporations or an anti-fan attitude from the Premier League or the FA? As Fear has pointed out, we DON'T have a choice, like it or not. We either sit down or stay standing and risk the club being punished and possibly losing our seats, with the added 'bonus' of ruining the experience of kids, elderly people and disabled people.

All of these groups have a right to attend football matches, so why don't the people who haven't sat in an all-seater stadium since May do the buggering off instead?

So again, I like what I'm doing, even though it isn't actually allowed, so those who don't want to do it, despite perhaps having been there for decades, should move?

Unless you have kids, you can't go in the family stand btw. I know a few who have had to move out as soon as their kids turned 16 - they don't get the choice to flout the rules and stay in there, but others feel the sense of entitlement to flout the rules and stand.

Bit unfair innit?

Yes we had to move when Sir Dennis jnr and his cousin got too old.

Bit unfair innit?

The strange thing is, I moved to an area where I knew the fans stood so that I don’t piss off the person behind me by being a yo-yo in a more seated area.

When I say family stand, loosely I mean the Trinity and Doug Ellis. 85% of the ground sits during the game, it’s quite difficult to be in an area where you are standing all game as these are STH blocks.

In one thread we are complaining about the lack of atmosphere at VP, in another thread we talk about how good the atmosphere is at German games, but in this thread we are debating standing. Standing and atmosphere go hand in hand in my experience, singing whilst sitting doesn’t work for me.

I would say that 90% of the Holte sits for the vast majority of the game, only in the wings, back few rows of the lower and probably the back dozen or so of the upper are standing (although it’s been a long time since I sat upstairs).

I would say that 90% of the Holte sits for the vast majority of the game, only in the wings, back few rows of the lower and probably the back dozen or so of the upper are standing (although it’s been a long time since I sat upstairs).

I would like to know where the problem areas now are? .

I am in L6 and there has been absolutely no change in the standing v sitting problem this season. As I said yesterday there is mass standing for the 'big games' but only and as and when excitement dictates for other games .

Apparently a growing problem in many areas. Will see if I can get any concrete information of the problem areas and/or if sanctions are likely to be taken.

Couldn't have been a noisier bugger than me at games before my exile, can't for the life of me why anyone would think you have to stand to make a noise. That's madness!!! :grinning:

Bit of double standards from me because although I sit all game, obviously my man servant has to stand by my side during the match in case I run out of crudities and what not.