Match Thread: Lincoln City v Oxford United | Page 25 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Oxford United

That was an incredibly hard watch. I was very concerned when I saw the half time subs though, we were being ripped to pieces through midfield and it seems the solution was to play 2 up top, making us weaker in midfield, and introduce a show pony who has the steel of a glass doll. Thanks for that input Jamie!
O’ Connor being overlooked , what can you say, totally bizarre and shambolic. Lessons should have been learnt from the 1st 45 minutes at Rochdale when we were as bad as yesterday but then Vickers only had the chance to fluff a few shots and succeeded with one.
Interesting week ahead for MApp, interesting to see if he uses an iron fist or a feather duster to sort the mess from yesterday.

This is music to the ears of several opposition fans, especially the bitter cods.

What we need to do is treat this as a fresh start which is very much needed, MApp will no question be more clued up than those in temporary position and let’s hope the players stop feeling sorry for themselves and show us what they can do.

On current form those players with aspirations of the Championship will be lucky to find a League 2 club.

That was an incredibly hard watch. I was very concerned when I saw the half time subs though, we were being ripped to pieces through midfield and it seems the solution was to play 2 up top, making us weaker in midfield, and introduce a show pony who has the steel of a glass doll. Thanks for that input Jamie!
O’ Connor being overlooked , what can you say, totally bizarre and shambolic. Lessons should have been learnt from the 1st 45 minutes at Rochdale when we were as bad as yesterday but then Vickers only had the chance to fluff a few shots and succeeded with one.
Interesting week ahead for MApp, interesting to see if he uses an iron fist or a feather duster to sort the mess from yesterday.
Hopefully an iron fist this squad might have some technically good players but I do not think some are battlers like we had in the Conference.

1. Vickers needs to be taken out off the firing line.
2. Bostwick and O’Connor are desperately needed back in the team to add some steel.
3. After the way we finished the game at Rochdale surely we should be starting home games with 2 up front.
4. With the upcoming run of fixtures we are going to have to accept that our slide down the league is likely to continue until MA can sort Hingis out.

At least MA has experience at this level and in building a squad. I think this year has to be about slowly slowly unpicking the Cowley way and stamping his mark on the team then see what that brings. I'm really excited about the new era and will give him a lot of time before judging his impact. I'm just disappointed at how all the good of the last 3 years has ended and it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth while knowing that they have left us in an incredible place compared to where they picked us up so battling in my head to keep remember that (just wish they had left pre transfer window!)

But we move on and maybe the thrashing was a blessing so all the fans understand that work needs to be done, MA has a big job on his hands/needs our support and patience.

To the next chapter and UTI!

Hopefully an iron fist this squad might have some technically good players but I do not think some are battlers like we had in the Conference.

1. Vickers needs to be taken out off the firing line.
2. Bostwick and O’Connor are desperately needed back in the team to add some steel.
3. After the way we finished the game at Rochdale surely we should be starting home games with 2 up front.
4. With the upcoming run of fixtures we are going to have to accept that our slide down the league is likely to continue until MA can sort Hingis out.

Oxford played one up top yesterday. It’s the willingness of the players behind to get up to support the one forward that makes the system work. Morrell and Connelly were static and hardly broke sweat while Anderson and Andrade were hugging the touchline and Payne was smothered out. The 2 wide men need to be given so much more licence to roam allowing wide spaces for the full backs to provide the width.
That’s how most successful teams play the one up system but you need the right personnel in key positions

What’s noticeable to me is how the opposition are pressing us high up the pitch, much more than we seem to be currently doing on them. Wonder if that’s something been spotted and I imagine there’s a League 1 grapevine.

Yep i noticed this too, and is almost certainly because we are playing from the back with 2 CH's that are prone to bad passes. There will always be opportunities for teams that press against us at the moment.

Couple of things others have mentioned that I spotted too, the lack of urgency from the players when they had the ball, no clue who to pass to.
We used to get Anderson and Andrade to swap wings this has stopped why?

Not for me, we got exactly what we deserved.
Totally agree. In no way can that performance be called a “freak result”. It was our own lack of desire to compete. Frightening. Lucky that it wasn’t worse. Something has gone badly wrong somewhere on the training ground or dressing room. A competent opposition took the chances we provided on a plate for them. The space that we gave up in the middle of the pitch was criminal, and this showed our defensive frailties. Those frailties, particularly the gap in between defenders and midfield has been there for 2-3 seasons, but is being ruthlessly exposed now in L1, as teams press us higher up - that was the Cowley’s achilles heel. Could well be survival mode until the window opens, but have some optimism that MA will tighten things before then and we’ll be comfortable come the end of the season. You don’t become a team that loses 0-6 each game overnight - so a decent manager should see quick improvements, if the players are willing. It doesn’t appear that McCombe’s heart is in it, and he should go. Now. It shows the Cowleys left at the worst possible time too.

I thought Oxford were excellent in terms of their attitude. Where as Bristol Rovers scored once and were happy to kill the game. Oxford chose to entertain (their fans) and go for the throat getting their reward. Rochdale also outplayed us in the first half too but were not good enough to 'roll us over'. So ok, a big defeat has been on the cards. Im really looking forward to see what happens next and how our new boss goes about his task, in particular tactically. Enjoy the ride folks.

You're forgetting the 90 minutes against Bristol Rovers, where we were beaten (appalling referee aside) by a very poor side. The last 3 games have seen us play maybe an hour of decent stuff. The signs have been there for quits a while, I hope MA can install some urgency and belief into what are becoming an alarmingly fragile bunch.

Yep i noticed this too, and is almost certainly because we are playing from the back with 2 CH's that are prone to bad passes. There will always be opportunities for teams that press against us at the moment.

And yet not one of the six goals yesterday, or the one at Rochdale, or the incident that led to Bristol Rovers penalty came as a result of any City player being pressed.

So that is not the problem. If anything the other teams are adopting a low block.

There is a tactical issue that makes the team vulnerable, which is the same as it was last season but which was generally hidden by the fact that we could dominate games.

If you can bear to look again at the highlights from yesterday, Oxford's 3rd and 5th goals illustrate this glaringly, and the second goal is also part of the problem. The other goals they scored are also symptoms of the same thing.

And I don't even bother studying tactics, but it's that obvious.

It’s not the getting beat it’s the deterioration of performances that is the concern and the options open to make changes
We’re playing teams who are comfortable with movement and pressing
We however are moving through a transition of players and style from last season and it’s clearly showing
Don’t put any belief in that just because we’ve come up as champions we are destined for anything this season
We’ve got to turn these results and performances around sharpish
The worry is how much did the Cowleys management style actually embed its self in the individuality of our squad
If you break down our squad it’s heavily built upon senior/loans from which we are well numbered with midfield players
Games like today will keep on coming
If you aren’t fussed yet that’s your call
Great post. I’m worried with where we are. But optimistic that it can be steadied. Lots to put right in the next window, if we’re to compete as we’ve become accustomed too, but does MA have the funds to make the necessary adjustments?

Early goals in any half are always a killer as they can destroy your gameplan almost immediately. As has been said on here though we lost the game in the middle of the park.
We looked really rigid in our formation and were overrun by a team that played with far more mobility and slickness. Any criticism of individual players is wide of the mark though. The defensive midfielders have been moulded by their parent clubs to play in a certain role and they are just not used to or expected to make runs ahead of the number 10. When we have a number 10 who wants to drop deep, to get the ball into feet to turn and dribble turn we are playing in far too restricted areas too far from the front man. Teams have become wise to how we play and have realised if you man mark or at least get really tight to Payne when he receives the ball you can stop us playing. I think we are too rigid with the wide players as well at the moment. If you are playing well and getting plenty of good posession the wide players will stretch the game and make you really dangerous. When you are struggling they they become isolated and not involved at all as could be seen with Anderson in the first half. Saying that our most potent attacking threat all game was down the left in the first half with BA & HT attacking and overlapping with pace and purpose. BA did well in the second half to his credit but moving him to the right second half was another poor decision.

I feel sorry for McCombe as he is a great guy and has played a big part in the recent highs but today was a bad day for him and for us.
We just can't set up like that any longer or we will struggle. I have full confidence that a new manager who has his wits about him will make us competitive again in double quick time.

As for the crowd it was really good to see only a few people leaving. Personally I think you should be louder at 0-5 than 5-0. There were a few people who looked in a state of shock and bewilderment but enough still making a noise so well done to them

Last edited:
Early goals in any half are always a killer as they can destroy your gameplan almost immediately. As has been said on here though we lost the game in the middle of the park.
We looked really rigid in our formation and were overrun by a team that played with far more mobility and slickness. Any criticism of individual players is wide of the mark though. The defensive midfielders have been moulded by their parent clubs to play in a certain role and they are just not used to or expected to make runs ahead of the number 10. When we have a number 10 who wants to drop deep, to get the ball into feet to turn and dribble turn we are playing in far too restricted areas too far from the front man. Teams have become wise to how we play and have realised if you man mark or at least get really tight to Payne when he receives the ball you can stop us playing. I think we are too rigid with the wide players as well at the moment. If you are playing well and getting plenty of good posession the wide players will stretch the game and make you really dangerous. When you are struggling they they become isolated and not involved at all as could be seen with Anderson in the first half. Saying that our most potent attacking threat all game was down the left in the first half with BA & HT attacking and overlapping with pace and purpose. BA did well in the second half to his credit but moving him to the right second half was another poor decision.

I feel sorry for McCombe as he is a great guy and has played a big part in the recent highs but today was a bad day for him and for us.
We just can't set up like that any longer or we will struggle. I have full confidence that a new manager who has his wits about him will make us competitive again in double quick time.

As for the crowd it was really good to see only a few people leaving. Personally I think you should be louder at 0-5 than 5-0. There were a few people who looked in a state of shock and bewilderment but enough still making a noise so well done to those
Solid analysis
Midfield rework coming up.
Without the ball you don't play..end of.
Come back AW or similar!

A massive part lacking from the players yesterday was the right mentality. Pride, focus, togetherness, aggression, desire all non existent. Where did that come from?
Okay, your leader leaves. So roll your sleeves up and take responsibility.
This poor attitude added to a bizarre summer transfer window, including an insistence on signing small ball playing midfielders and ignoring the qualities that got us here led to this result.
I've always been an advocate of Gilks. Should have been signed. O'Hara. Great attitude, ball winner and imposing. Should have been signed.
A Nother centre forward should 100% have been signed. So obvious it stinks.
A young, fast centre back should have been signed. Shackell and Bossie clearly will not last the season and pace is a problem in this area.
Like it or not Eardley is getting targeted by the opposition. He will need resting, for a younger, faster full back (Lewis).
Turning the clock back and thinking the budget is spent, I'd have moved Vickers on; not signed Connolly or Coker and controversially or Payne.
Something for MA to look at in January.

Solid analysis
Midfield rework coming up.
Without the ball you don't play..end of.
Come back AW or similar!

That's not really it either. I think we had 46% possession yesterday. Sheffield United has 30% at Everton and won 2-0. Norwich scored three to beat Man City with 30% possession.

The problem, defensively, has been evident for over a year and that is that it if you pick the ball up when City have been attacking you can waltz through our central midfield as it's an open pasture there.

It doesn't matter if those two players are Morrell and Connolly or if it was O'Connor and Pett or Frecklington last season, the result is the same because we are wide open to the counter attack. Last season few teams were able to exploit that.

It's a problem because our experienced, but slow, defence cannot push up for fear of the ball over the top, consequently you could drive a flock of sheep through the middle. Watch the goals we conceded again, and look at the depth of our defence and the space that is available to run into.

To corrrect this - and I don't claim any credentials as a tactician, we need to be re-invented as a counter-attacking team defending more deeply and breaking quickly, and for which we definitely have the players available to do that.

I largely agree with the last post - the close season signings reek of desperation - the need was clear: a stronger keeper; another younger and more mobile centre back and a utility fullback who could play on either side; a couple of stronger central midfielder players; and a couple of strikers one of who could play wide. Despite all the fantastic work they did over the past 3 years the Cowleys have left us in a mess with an unbalanced squad - lets hope the MA can sort it out and quickly.