Match Thread: Lincoln City v Oxford United | Page 19 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Oxford United

That one came to my mind.
Was in Stacey West that day...
Goalie? Russell Hoult i think???

Yes, Hoult was in goal for the last of his two games in his first loan spell.

Rest of the team was:

2. Paul Smith
3. Shane Nicholson
4. Dean West
5. Gary West
6. Matt Carmichael
7. John Schofield
8. Paul Ward
9. Jason Lee
10. David Puttnam
11. Keith Alexander
12. Kevin Finney (for Puttnam)

No it's not. It's the culmination of the dangerous fine margins Cowley employed. Momentum gone, players injured, others out of form, no room to change anything.

Margins they could, by and large maintain.

The squad is unbalanced, though, and we have few alternatives in defence or up front.

Looking at form lines over collective grouping of 5 league games, we'd be looking at the following points in a single season (rounded up or down to full numbers) based on that form ...

Last 5 - 37 points in a season
Last 10 - 60
Last 15 - 46
Last 20 - 60
Last 25 - 64
Last 30 - 67
Last 35 - 68
Last 40 - 72
Last 45 - 73
Last 46 - 71

I don't think it really tells us a great deal but interesting to see that once the league was secured, we have fallen off a fair bit.

No it's not. It's the culmination of the dangerous fine margins Cowley employed. Momentum gone, players injured, others out of form, no room to change anything.
Margins they could, by and large maintain.

The squad is unbalanced, though, and we have few alternatives in defence or up front.

Sorry fellahs but this is beginning to sound a lot like revisionism, not to mention bedwetting.

I've seen this comment about an unbalanced squad before but we have 22 players at my count including cover for both full backs.

We have three centre halves - some think this isn't enough but last season Wilson was the 4th choice and he couldn't get a game there at all, so that was a wasted squad position.

We have two out-and-out strikers (we cannot possibly afford a third decent quality striker) plus two players who are forwards rather than midfielders (both of whom can also play wide) + 2 wingers.

If anything we have what the Spanish call a slight "overbooking" in midfield, as if the system is going to remain as 4-2-3-1 we have the following players vying for 2 positions: Morrell, Connolly, O'Connor, Frecklington, Hesketh and Pett - though Pett could also play as one of the forwards in that "3" instead (maybe Hesketh can as well as I don't know much about him).

We've seen some poor performances in the past two weeks and a terrible result today. Seems to me like some of you have already thrown in the towel and I might have to remind you of this later in the season.

I was at the Barnet and Rotherham mauling. The only positive thing I can say about today is, I was working and couldn’t go. MApp must be wondering what he’s taken on. However, Monday is the start of the new era. I’m going to remain positive..... I hope ?

Sorry fellahs but this is beginning to sound a lot like revisionism, not to mention bedwetting.

We've seen some poor performances in the past two weeks and a terrible result today. Seems to me like some of you have already thrown in the towel and I might have to remind you of this later in the season.

I would very much hope you get the opportunity to do so.

I hope Appleton brings in his own assistant, this was Jamie’s chance to stamp his authority.
His press conferences have been dull and weak. I hope he showed more passion behind closed doors.

Appreciate his service but we need to turn a page now and flush out some of the Cowley yes men to move on and be successful. UTI

How good are we, really? The answer lies somewhere between the brilliance of the Southend demolition and the embarrassment of today's capitulation. I think we all knew that we were punching above our weight when we sat in an automatic promotion place after the first few games, but we also knew that we were capable of giving anyone a game. After today, I think anyone would want to give us a game.

It makes you wonder if the Cowleys looked at our team, and saw what we've seen in these last few games: that even when they were being pushed to the limits of their ability, this group of players will need several years and significant investment before we can even think about taking the next step.

At least Appleton has seen us at our very worst. He has seen every weakness that we have to offer. Six days will not be enough to fix those problems - and we have an untimely run of difficult fixtures ahead - but hopefully he has some idea of where to start.

Around this time last year we scored six at Port Vale in a game that was a mirror-image of this one.

Which just goes to show that you should never gloat when things are going well.
Spot on.
Never too high and never too low.
Miffed we've lost but I deliberately don't go overboard when we win, so I can convince myself not to be too downhearted when we lose, heavily, or really heavily. It's hard at the moment tho.

How good are we, really? The answer lies somewhere between the brilliance of the Southend demolition and the embarrassment of today's capitulation. I think we all knew that we were punching above our weight when we sat in an automatic promotion place after the first few games, but we also knew that we were capable of giving anyone a game. After today, I think anyone would want to give us a game.

It makes you wonder if the Cowleys looked at our team, and saw what we've seen in these last few games: that even when they were being pushed to the limits of their ability, this group of players will need several years and significant investment before we can even think about taking the next step.

At least Appleton has seen us at our very worst. He has seen every weakness that we have to offer. Six days will not be enough to fix those problems - and we have an untimely run of difficult fixtures ahead - but hopefully he has some idea of where to start.
Parking the bus at 0-0 would be an improvement.?

I have never left a game 15 minutes early early before but this morning I picked up a vulnerable rescue dog who had been rescued from a kill shelter in Romania and then been returned to the UK shelter by the first person who adopted him so felt my priorities lay at home rather than continuing to watch that abject shower of shite.