Who next? | Page 30 | Vital Football

Who next?

skip155 as you sound like you like the odd punt and you might be interested in my bet running now.
i have put my money on ADKINS at 16/1 (paddypower)...would only take £20 max bet.
Adkins lives in Gainsborough,out of work(refused hull contract),meets all criteria with decent win rate and a hand of promotions.....Clive likes backing winners?

oh yeah,on the weather front it`s 20 degrees down here on the south coast,wind coming from south off the sea,clear visibility to the isle of wight,no more that a force 2 on the water,plenty of yachts out today.

Also on Adkins!
Notice Betfair already have a market on the next Stoke manager, all the usual suspects and Emma Hayes gets a mention too.

I would still like Campbell to be considered for the role. If he’s not the right man then so be it but I think he did well enough at Macclesfield to be given the chance to highlight his plan for us should he be interested.
It is highly possible we will talk to him. However. Campbell may well become a very good manager, but what is there on his record at the moment to suggest he has the qualities required to maintain the vast amount of momentum created by DC/NC and lead the club to the Championship? Nothing at all. The situation at Macclesfield was light years away from what we are looking for - his aim was to finish third from bottom in the EFL, which is a completely different place to be.

For what it is worth, I think top players like Campbell have severe problems dropping down the leagues to manage a small club because everything is alien to their experience. The standard of player, the tactics, the grounds, the pitches, club infrastructures, chairmen, budgets, supporters, everything is on a much smaller scale. The last ex-England international we appointed has said similar things, and that worries me.

We have the best squad we have had for almost forty years, and it is imperative we find a manager capable of maintaining that and also building on it. It is our best chance of returning to the second tier for half a lifetime, and we need to maximise it. I cannot see that man being Campbell, although I would be happier to see him get it than some of the other desperados mentioned.

We need to identify the manager most likely to rally the fans and keep them enthused, then to maintain the promotion push. I think there is only one candidate really likely to achieve the former, although the latter challenge is the main one.

And thinking back I remember being delighted when we announced former Leeds and England forward Allan Clarke as manager. Seemed a cracking appointment at the time for little old Lincoln, being a name from within the game and all that.

That turned into a disaster quite quickly

I wasn't I can remember when and where I was when that announcement was made. I was the passenger in my mum's car coming down Yarborough Hill and my heart just sank!

I met him on two separate occasions when he was managing us the first time all he seemed to do was talk about Leeds United. The second time was about 2 or 3 weeks later and all he did was slag off Lincoln and the people of Lincoln and I can remember to this day one of the exact lines he said " The trouble is Lincoln will always be in the shadow of Greater Yorkshire and the people here are second rate".

Personally I think he's an arse!

Last edited:
At that time of his appointment it was generally thought that it was a really good one based upon what he had done at Southend. I was certainly pleased

Just goes to show that you never really know how it'll work out
He did inherit the worst squad I’ve seen us have in living memory though... and yes I’d rate that squad far worse than anything we had in the wilderness years in the National League.

Just in case anyone needs a reminder, that squad included the likes of Keltie, O’Keefe, Watts, Swabia, Anderson (Joe not Harry!), Broughton and Hutchinson. When you have to go a future match fixer to be your captain (Facey), you know the ‘minerals’ of your squad are somewhat tainted.

Any new manager coming in in the coming days will have nothing like the pig sh!t Tilson (or Holdsworth) had to sort out.

It is highly possible we will talk to him. However. Campbell may well become a very good manager, but what is there on his record at the moment to suggest he has the qualities required to maintain the vast amount of momentum created by DC/NC and lead the club to the Championship? Nothing at all. The situation at Macclesfield was light years away from what we are looking for - his aim was to finish third from bottom in the EFL, which is a completely different place to be.

For what it is worth, I think top players like Campbell have severe problems dropping down the leagues to manage a small club because everything is alien to their experience. The standard of player, the tactics, the grounds, the pitches, club infrastructures, chairmen, budgets, supporters, everything is on a much smaller scale. The last ex-England international we appointed has said similar things, and that worries me.

We have the best squad we have had for almost forty years, and it is imperative we find a manager capable of maintaining that and also building on it. It is our best chance of returning to the second tier for half a lifetime, and we need to maximise it. I cannot see that man being Campbell, although I would be happier to see him get it than some of the other desperados mentioned.

We need to identify the manager most likely to rally the fans and keep them enthused, then to maintain the promotion push. I think there is only one candidate really likely to achieve the former, although the latter challenge is the main one.
Campbell clearly didn’t have ‘severe’ problems at Macclesfield did he? From the game against us late in the season, I thought he’d got a very limited team extremely well organised and playing to their strengths. He also somehow managed to maintain standards and motivation when the squad weren’t even being paid.

I recognise you’ve said you’d be happier to see him come in than some others mentioned, but you’ve done him a massive disservice in belittling his achievements at Macclesfield last season.

You’re not the only one... pretty much the whole of English football has done the same. Yet Fat Frank goes straight in at Chelsea, wins 1 league match out of 4 and it’s all gravy?

your choice as the new man Scotimp?

Campbell clearly didn’t have ‘severe’ problems at Macclesfield did he? From the game against us late in the season, I thought he’d got a very limited team extremely well organised and playing to their strengths. He also somehow managed to maintain standards and motivation when the squad weren’t even being paid.

I recognise you’ve said you’d be happier to see him come in than some others mentioned, but you’ve done him a massive disservice in belittling his achievements at Macclesfield last season.

You’re not the only one... pretty much the whole of English football has done the same. Yet Fat Frank goes straight in at Chelsea, wins 1 league match out of 4 and it’s all gravy?
How have I belittled his achievements at Macclesfield?

The job at Lincoln is completely different.

How have I belittled his achievements at Macclesfield?

The job at Lincoln is completely different.

“I think top players like Campbell have severe problems dropping down the leagues to manage a small club because everything is alien to their experience.”

Belittling Exhibit A.

“What is there on his record at the moment to suggest he has the qualities required to maintain the vast amount of momentum created by DC/NC and lead the club to the Championship?”

Unfair if I said this was belittling, but what more could he have done at Macclesfield to show he’s a decent manager?

I’ll be honest and say, at the time, I thought it was a good appointment given his record at Southend. Shows what I know.
i was right behind the Tilson appointment,shows what i know.
Dazzler needed to act earlier with Tilson but it continued too long.
Great youtube footage on this period in time (dazzler interviews etc)
tilson/brush they stunk the place out at Lincoln,turning up once or twice a week and Brush taking the training was regarded as a total joke by the players.(nickname toilet)
They should have been run out of town.

i was right behind the Tilson appointment,shows what i know.
Dazzler needed to act earlier with Tilson but it continued too long.
Great youtube footage on this period in time (dazzler interviews etc)
tilson/brush they stunk the place out at Lincoln,turning up once or twice a week and Brush taking the training was regarded as a total joke by the players.(nickname toilet)
They should have been run out of town.
A video we should all watch to remind ourselves of just how bad things can get. 8 years ago if I’m not mistaken? Dark dark days.

If you believe anything on the Wycombe forum where the panic hooters and claxons are in full flow, Kings Lynn have given us permission to speak to Culverhouse. No League management experience, that will not happen.

Allan Clarke, how I remember his disastrous stint. I joined the throng after one match (can't recall which one) behind the St Andrews Stand calling for his head. He was terrible. And didn't he publicly slag the players off, saying they weren't good enough? Barely worked in football since he was binned off.

Allan Clarke must be a very long odds bet

your choice as the new man Scotimp?
Difficult question. I don't know, but the first three are options for different reasons.

Ainsworth would certainly maintain the momentum and would rally the fans after DC's departure. Has a decent record, and could do well with Lincoln's squad. But has he genuinely altered Wycombe's style of play like DC did here? If not, he has no chance of playing direct with the players we now have.

Flynn has done well at Newport on little money but they are hard to watch. Is that his stock style of play, or has that been dictated by the players available? Will he be happy living outside his native Wales? Will his family? Could that cause problems six months down the line?

Other than 30 games at Macclesfield, Campbell has no track record to point to. Would he move to Lincoln? Keeping a club in League Two is very different to winning promotion to the Championship.

Adkins has a good record in League One, but on big budgets. Is he yesterday's man, in this world of young, dynamic managers?

Parkinson has a decent record, could also be an outside bet. Similar to Adkins?

Dowson? Similar to Campbell, although he has no EFL experience as a manager at all. He would be a huge punt for us. Again, would he move from London where he has spent most of his career?

Keane? Barton? I really cannot see them being considered.

At the end of the day, I have total faith in the board to get the right man, and I will be right behind him whoever he is.

Last edited:
At that time of his appointment it was generally thought that it was a really good one based upon what he had done at Southend. I was certainly pleased

Just goes to show that you never really know how it'll work out
Yes, I can confirm I was very pleased with his appointment, as was the vast majority of the fanbase.