Injuries last season | Vital Football

Injuries last season

Spursex

Alert Team
If anyone still doubts the impact injuries had on us in terms of a) number of them - second only to Manure b) cost of them - up 110% on previous season c) Availability - West Ham (2,003 total days out), Arsenal (1,771 days out) and Tottenham (1,652 days out); these three clubs also topped the list for average unavailability of players each match day.

All I can say is this is one No.1 spot I'm grateful we never won....

West Ham (2,003 total days out), Arsenal (1,771 days out) and Tottenham (1,652 days out); these three clubs also topped the list for average unavailability of players each match day.

If you break it down even further, you'll start seeing the impact it had on us in the second half of the season in particular.....

Clubs that had internationals at the WC seem to have been particularly hit hard as injuries soared..

You can download and read the full report here: https://www.jlt.com/industry/sports...insurance/insights/football-injury-index-2019

It's a big nudge towards why clubs shouldn't try and 'self-insure' as some still try and do (we're not one of them!)..

A little on the fence with this one. We knew the cumulative effect of the amount of football a lot of our players had gone through. We also knew we had 4 or 5 players in the squad that were less than robust based on data from a couple of seasons. We also knew it was season 5 under Poch and a lot of the squad had got older. We then failed to execute in the transfer window and have to admit it was one of the big factors.

What confused it more was having no draws. We somehow managed to accumulate 45 points in the 1st half of the season. We then fell off the cliff in the second getting only 26 points and obviously had CL distractions. The quality of our bench often told the story of the injuries.

All we can now hope is that those stats come back to the middle this season. The 3 new signings are young, fit guys and hopefully Dier is through his tough year after being the one that carried the midfield burden for years before as others fell to pieces. I'd be surprised if Rose, Wanyama and Lamela suddenly become robust, but feel with a summer off we'll be in better shape physically for this coming season. We'll still need luck with injuries like every club though.

A little on the fence with this one. We knew the cumulative effect of the amount of football a lot of our players had gone through. We also knew we had 4 or 5 players in the squad that were less than robust based on data from a couple of seasons. We also knew it was season 5 under Poch and a lot of the squad had got older. We then failed to execute in the transfer window and have to admit it was one of the big factors.

What confused it more was having no draws. We somehow managed to accumulate 45 points in the 1st half of the season. We then fell off the cliff in the second getting only 26 points and obviously had CL distractions. The quality of our bench often told the story of the injuries.

All we can now hope is that those stats come back to the middle this season. The 3 new signings are young, fit guys and hopefully Dier is through his tough year after being the one that carried the midfield burden for years before as others fell to pieces. I'd be surprised if Rose, Wanyama and Lamela suddenly become robust, but feel with a summer off we'll be in better shape physically for this coming season. We'll still need luck with injuries like every club though.

I think we could all easily underestimate the impact that the WC had, perhaps us more than most as we relied so heavily on a small number of players in critical positions.

I can't say who, but one of our players who got a lot of stick here said privately that he was playing almost the whole year carrying an injury or injuries from the WC and became mentally and physically exhausted halfway through the season.

I think we could see it.

I think we could all easily underestimate the impact that the WC had, perhaps us more than most as we relied so heavily on a small number of players in critical positions.

I can't say who, but one of our players who got a lot of stick here said privately that he was playing almost the whole year carrying an injury or injuries from the WC and became mentally and physically exhausted halfway through the season.

I think we could see it.
Why is it then that players like Sterling and Hazard didn't appear to show any aftereffects of the WC? I'm not saying our players didn't suffer but Sterling, I believe, played more games last season than any of our WC players. And that's playing for a manager with a very demanding work ethic.

If anyone still doubts the impact injuries had on us in terms of a) number of them - second only to Manure b) cost of them - up 110% on previous season c) Availability - West Ham (2,003 total days out), Arsenal (1,771 days out) and Tottenham (1,652 days out); these three clubs also topped the list for average unavailability of players each match day.

All I can say is this is one No.1 spot I'm grateful we never won....

West Ham (2,003 total days out), Arsenal (1,771 days out) and Tottenham (1,652 days out); these three clubs also topped the list for average unavailability of players each match day.

If you break it down even further, you'll start seeing the impact it had on us in the second half of the season in particular.....

Clubs that had internationals at the WC seem to have been particularly hit hard as injuries soared..

You can download and read the full report here: https://www.jlt.com/industry/sports...insurance/insights/football-injury-index-2019

It's a big nudge towards why clubs shouldn't try and 'self-insure' as some still try and do (we're not one of them!)..
It's a very interesting read. It would be even more useful if we could have a break down of the status of the players injured i.e. first eleven players or just squad players. We had injuries, at some point, to every player in the squad except Son (and he was absent on international duty for numerous matches). So we had injuries to all of our key players. Arsenal relied heavily on goals from Aubameyang and Lacazette but those two largely survived the season unscathed from injuries.

Why is it then that players like Sterling and Hazard didn't appear to show any aftereffects of the WC? I'm not saying our players didn't suffer but Sterling, I believe, played more games last season than any of our WC players. And that's playing for a manager with a very demanding work ethic.

Well, it's worth looking at how many times he came on as sub, how many times he got subbed, how many minutes he played and then you have to consider the intensity of the games he played in - so many were a walk in the park for City.

Hazard absolutely went off the boil (just ask any Chelsea fan), Sterling perhaps played more as a striker/ and ran overall shorter distances - if you use whoscored.com you can collate all this - so it's subjective because ultimately every player physiology is different ..

Well, it's worth looking at how many times he came on as sub, how many times he got subbed, how many minutes he played and then you have to consider the intensity of the games he played in - so many were a walk in the park for City.

Hazard absolutely went off the boil (just ask any Chelsea fan), Sterling perhaps played more as a striker/ and ran overall shorter distances - if you use whoscored.com you can collate all this - so it's subjective because ultimately every player physiology is different ..

This is also a great source - http://www.espnfc.com/player/156366/raheem-sterling?season=2018

Also worth remembering this is when he was in the 22-24 age range range and injury free. It's a perfect age to rack up the appearances. I think Dier and Eriksen probably did the same at that age.

We know we have not had the depth of our rivals for some time . It only takes something like a long run in a cup, a World or Euro cup or injuries to expose it. These things happen and they are forecast for tournaments and % for injuries. To not have the depth to cope with these cyclical influences is consequence of a lack of funds. Hopefully that's now fixed and we can gradually build a squad with depth.

Last edited:
Well we're probably going into this season with a slightly smaller squad than last season.

We've seen Vorm, Trips, Dembele, Llorente leave and even started last season with Amos involved. We finished last with Janssen involved. Eriksen still likely to go.

We've replaced them with 3 new players and left a GK slot open assumedly for Whiteman to fill.

Makes you wonder whether it would be a ilttle suicidal to let Wanyama, Rose or Nkoudou go to a European club if we get the opportunity to shift them in the coming days. It will leave us light and put a lot of pressure on younger players to step up in an injury crisis.

Pep don't play his top players away to Shitsville in the 3rd round of the blah blah cup because he thinks the public of Shitsville deserve to see top players.

I wonder if that makes a difference lol.

I love it when BC get's spun up...!

Why is this a shock to anyone?

World Cup
Lack of rotation options
Running players into ground.