Match Thread: Aston Villa v Bournemouth, Sat 17th August, 3pm | Page 3 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Aston Villa v Bournemouth, Sat 17th August, 3pm

This is a great game to see where the players are both fitness wise and playing together as a team. Also that pressure where Villa are the slight favourites and a home game where the fans are expectant.

Wesley to open his scoring account and Grealish to show his quality 2-0

Well according to Purslow he wants us to finish 7th if not Smith is gone.

Reading between the lines...

"just outside the top six" was the quote I think but yes, I grimaced at that although to be fair he did say he would be (rightly so!) thrilled at that.

If it was me I'd have covered that off with "but if we merely show ourselves to be a competitive mid-table team in our first season back in the PL then that would be very satisfying too" but then I'm not a shiny suit haircut on-the-sell.

I'm expecting an entirely different game on Saturday but I don't yet know how it'll be different - could be a switch of a few more players in/out too?

DS is really going to want to win this game to put a marker down IMO so perhaps a really attacking line-up?

Blimey. I was only mucking about when I said Smith would be gone if we didn't finish 7th.

Thought Purslow came across really well. He's ambitious... Not stupid.

Its as good as over if we don't pick up any points between here and arsenal away.

I personally think if we lose every match this season we are definitely down.

Similarly, if we score no goals the entire season, we won’t win a match.

Do I think either of those things are even remotely likely? No, but it appears you need to throw out worst case scenarios on here nowadays.

Blimey. I was only mucking about when I said Smith would be gone if we didn't finish 7th.

Thought Purslow came across really well. He's ambitious... Not stupid.

Could’ve taken the Vital Villa servers down with comments like that, please post responsibly :grinning:

Could’ve taken the Vital Villa servers down with comments like that, please post responsibly :grinning:

haha, it was a good interview though.

He basically just kept saying we go into every game to win, and she kept pushing him for what would be a successful season and he said if we finish just outside the top 6 everyone would be thrilled.

Stating the obvious but this is a game we'll have targeted as a very winnable and anything less than a win will be a big disappointment to players the club and fans.
40,000 Villans 2k of Cherries on their big day out to Brum That's if they bring 2000 it's a massive proportion of their home support?

Looking forward to seeing the new boys and not the old guard, I'm still in the belief that we haven't spent £127m on benchwarmers, how long that will last if we don't start playing them I don't know.

Various theories flying about on team selection 80% on here had picked last weeks team and just like the lotto numbers I don't think anyone picked that one?

I've never subscribed to this nonsense about not changing a winning side and as we lost, in the end, it's easier for Deano to make changes. Will he? fucked if know.

He stuck with what he knows at Spurs that's for sure, more pressure this week as fans expect a win so he has to go for it a bit more.

Can't wait for my first match since May UTV

Deano set up on Saturday to try to deal with the quality that Spurs have. At home he will now set up to play the way he wants and we'll see a different approach and likely some different faces.

I wouldn't be surprised to see fullbacks given instructions to get forward and press high up, allowing Jota and El Ghazi/Treze to move inside and get closer to Wesley. Looks ideal for Guilbert.

Also we won't see Jack in our half picking up the ball and helping out.

I'd be happy with a good solid performance and a draw at least but hope for the win.

I'd imagine he'll go with the same XI again on Saturday.

Why wouldn't he? They played really well away from home against the Champions league runners up.

Same line up, but if up to fitness etc would put Luiz in place of Hourihane.
Buying a player for that amount from Man city who have insisted on a buy back clause and getting player of the tournament in toulon suggests to me he must be pretty decent and therefore gets my vote ahead of Connor in that position.

El ghazi stays in . Just. Unless we can play Jota and Trez in the same team?