Tottingham Hotspurs v Aston Villa PREMIER LEAGUE Saturday 10th August 17.30 k.o. | Page 36 | Vital Football

Tottingham Hotspurs v Aston Villa PREMIER LEAGUE Saturday 10th August 17.30 k.o.

Mentions of Hourihane, El Ghazi etc not being premier league standard - maybe not. However very difficult to judge against Spurs away in your first game. I'm sure Spurs have made some top players look very ordinary over the course of last years campaign.

Possibly unfairly, I can't remember anything El Ghazi did all game - too powder puff for me and his ratio of promising position > nothing coming from it is way too low for me, even in the Championship, I was honestly surprised when we signed him but perhaps he'll man up as he needs to.

He was on the back foot most of the game yesterday. He should have done better with the few chances he had but let's see how he gets on against the likes of Bournemouth.

Hate to agree with Onlyteam :grinning:.

If you want to talk about money now then you should have questioned it in the transfer window. This isn't I told you so but I was and remain hugely sceptical about who we bought and what we spent.
I didn't get carried away like I'm sorry to say many have done over players, most of us will have to admit, have never heard of.

But like Onlyteam my trust has to be in the coaching team, the philosophy established by the club and the plan now in place and that's why I'm kind of excited but scared and sceptical at the same time

If you expect too much too soon then its head wobble time. And yes that does include not getting out of our half against the top sides. Premier league 2019 reality . Get used to it.

I'm sure many see how many times the top sides pull a result round , a last minute winner or equaliser. Yesterday was a prime example . The top sides like spurs keep going and going and going and grind you down, tire you out and ultimately score.

I'm surprised so many are surprised by this.

Took the dog for a walk after the equaliser, knew what would happen, as you said, it's how those games against top sides normally end. Got back in expecting 2-1 at best. We were superbly organised and determined but the psychological effect of the first goal is huge on tired legs. One of the objectives we have to improve on in order to beat teams in the bottom half is moving the ball quickly and keeping it.

That level of effort and the ability to bounce back after defeats are minimum requirements if we are going to survive. Playing out from the back has to be done quickly and safely. The risks should be taken further forward. That's a lesson to learn quickly too.

Unlike previous regimes, I have faith in the coaching staff to recognise our weaknesses and improve them. Might not happen overnight though.

Bournemouth at home is a must win game even from a staying up point of view.

No it's not. If you think like that it's going to be a long old season. Yes, we should be looking to win it, but it's early days with inexperienced players. What we have to do is learn and adapt quickly to a new environment, avoiding defeat as we go and staying positive.

The must win games will come later.

I feel quite optimistic in our chances against any of the teams below the Sky Six.
The partnership of Mings and Engels with Heaton behind them should help us to a few lock outs. One of Luiz or Marvellous, (when he gets up to speed), should give added security and release Jack and McGinn to be more influential creatively. Against the big guns we could even use them both as a double pivot.( It's a new term I've picked up and it's my cliche of choice for the foreseeable future).
Trezeguet will get fitter and last out games and someone will get hold of Wesley and tell him to defy gravity and start knocking the Bejaysus out of centre halves.
Roll on Saturday.

Do we think Allez Allez Allez is here to stay or will this be its last season? Seems every club has a variation of it. I’m all for an anthem and I think we need one which is more than three words and doesn’t mention the Scummers, I may just be getting a bit bored of hearing this one though coming through at every game I watch. It does make the spine tingle singing it and hearing it like that though.

Totally agree with the players you've picked out there. I'll be slightly peeved if any of those four get picked ahead of Jota, Douglas/Marvelous, Targett and Guilbert nedt week.

In fairness, we don't know how good any of those players will prove to be yet either. It will take time until we discover the best combination. Players have to be tried and writing people off on one performance is ridiculous. Truth be told, we were overwhelmed by the speed and strength of Spurs in midfield. A midfield of which the super J's were part. Fair to say If they prove to be not good enough over the course of the season then we will struggle.

Erikson changed the game when he came on. It was very similar to a game against Arsenal years ago when we were holding them until they brought Fabregas on. Spurs brought on a player who will probably leave them for around £150m. When we have £150m players on the bench, we will be able to go toe to toe with them.

When Erickson came on we should have introduced Douglas.

Goals on Sunday proved today that spuds equaliser shouldn’t have stood. So even with VAR the officials are useless and favour the glamour boys.

Out sung their lot all game despite there being 57000 more of them....what a noise...brilliant!

For the record, I was sitting just behind the Villa fans in the tier behind them next to where that Video was taken; Villa fans support/singing was incredible - the annoyance for Spurs fans is that if we stand up - we get threatened and chucked out, never to be able to return - you stood up the whole game and nothing happens - p*sses us off so much.

have to say though there were some real cannuts at the back row of your fans, who seemed determined to spend their time staring at us, making obscene gestures such and using threats against little kids - couple got turfed out and then it seemed to calm down.

But as always away fans make so much more atmosphere away from their home grounds - same as ours do, because the only time you don't care about getting banned for the season - as we do if we do it at our ground!

Anyway, you did yourself proud.

Possibly unfairly, I can't remember anything El Ghazi did all game - too powder puff for me and his ratio of promising position > nothing coming from it is way too low for me, even in the Championship, I was honestly surprised when we signed him but perhaps he'll man up as he needs to.
I was watching with non villa supporting friends and i was a bit embarrassed by his performance. Trying to dribble past defenders when a pass or early cross would be easier and more effective in order to dive when he gets touched. Hate those sort of wingers. I'll give him another chance but want to see more. Jota well ahead of him based on pre season.
No it's not. If you think like that it's going to be a long old season. Yes, we should be looking to win it, but it's early days with inexperienced players. What we have to do is learn and adapt quickly to a new environment, avoiding defeat as we go and staying positive.

The must win games will come later.
Bournemouth at home is one of the five or ten easiest fixtures of the season. Its a game we need three points from.

For the record, I was sitting just behind the Villa fans in the tier behind them next to where that Video was taken; Villa fans support/singing was incredible - the annoyance for Spurs fans is that if we stand up - we get threatened and chucked out, never to be able to return - you stood up the whole game and nothing happens - p*sses us off so much.

have to say though there were some real cannuts at the back row of your fans, who seemed determined to spend their time staring at us, making obscene gestures such and using threats against little kids - couple got turfed out and then it seemed to calm down.

But as always away fans make so much more atmosphere away from their home grounds - same as ours do, because the only time you don't care about getting banned for the season - as we do if we do it at our ground!

Used to hate the stewards at the old WHL always the same lot, the worst of any away ground I’ve been to for trying to get the away fans to sit. Used to chuck their fair share out too.

Do we think Allez Allez Allez is here to stay or will this be its last season? Seems every club has a variation of it. I’m all for an anthem and I think we need one which is more than three words and doesn’t mention the Scummers, I may just be getting a bit bored of hearing this one though coming through at every game I watch. It does make the spine tingle singing it and hearing it like that though.
Anything is better than listening to 'when the spuds go marching in' - I positively effing hate that tuneless monotonous drivel.

I was watching with non villa supporting friends and i was a bit embarrassed by his performance. Trying to dribble past defenders when a pass or early cross would be easier and more effective in order to dive when he gets touched. Hate those sort of wingers. I'll give him another chance but want to see more. Jota well ahead of him based on pre season.

Bournemouth at home is one of the five or ten easiest fixtures of the season. Its a game we need three points from.

El Ghazi has never appealed to me as he always appears to be playing within himself at 90% and both his execution of moves when he's in possession and his decision making in the same position are often poor. If he put that extra 10% in when he's got just one guy between himself and the goal then he could be much more effective IMO but he rarely does it.

The contrast with Jota is stark IMO, another tricky player but on evidence so far he at least looks like he's putting in 100% all the time.

I kinda feel the same about hourihane too in that he could do more, especially winning the ball back as a DM which perhaps Luiz, and certainly Marvelous, can add for us.

No love our version. Whoever did the lyrics is Lennon esque lol. It sums our support up perfectly I think.

Think you'll always get a few idiots. We had three in front of us who had too much to drink and hardly watched any of the game, preferring to goad Spurs fans to our right behind the goal or in the tier above us. I just dont get that. All for a bit of banter but threatening kids etc is just pathetic and an embarrassment tbh. Glad they are in the minority. Most of the away day claret n blue army are a credit to the club.

It's a team game. Don't think any of the players deserve some of the stuff which has been thrown at them. Such failings as they were were team failings, and there weren't many of those, and they only surfaced as the game wore on, under tiredness and Spurs pressure. I was happy with the team selection before the match and happy with it afterwards

DS had it right. We didn't keep the ball enough, especially once Spurs got going in the second half. That in turn took its toll on the legs.

Targett instead of Taylor? Taylor had a very good game and blocked cross after cross. He knew where he needed to be and was there.

Luiz or Marvelous instead of Hourihane? We were set up to defend and Hourihane did his job well, witness how difficult Spurs found it. Hourihane knew the system, which is why against Spurs he was chosen. The other two will get their chances in time.

El Ghazi? Tried to make things happen when he could but neither he nor Trezeguet had much joy down the wings. We tended to lump the ball forwards instead, not DS's normal style but was obviously pre-planned and with McGinn it worked superbly.

That was, by our standards, a good team we put out yesterday. The alternatives weren't bought to bench warm and will get their chances. Overall yesterday was positive, maybe the sort of experience we needed. We will build on it.

Easiest fixture?

Ok . We'll see. Said this yesterday that there are going to be some disappointed people when the 'easy' teams like Bournemouth are not dispatched by us.

Remember last season when we had a run of 'easy' fixtures which we royally fucked up yet subsequently got a haul of points from the top sides?. Not always simple.

Not saying we will get points from the top sides in this league but I would be careful classifying teams like that

Rivals yes. Teams we need to beat. Oh yes.

Easy . Not for me Jeff.