Match Thread: Lincoln City v Accrington Stanley | Page 11 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Accrington Stanley

Oh how I've missed football.

We fully deserved the full three points, despite having to play 20 minutes with two centre backs that could barely run. We played some beautiful football at times and could have bagged a few more if it wasn't for an in form opposing 'keeper.

Just how do the Cowleys do it? For me every single one of the new signings were in for man of the match. I gave it to Payne, just. The midfield were dominant and may well be the best Lincoln midfield I have seen. The technical ability of the new players really blew me away. The way they can manipulate thier body to move the ball around, the awareness of thier surrounds and ability to take on players was a pleasure to watch today. O'Connor was brilliant at offering the defence protection and starting attacks. Despite being the walking wounded, the defenders did enough against a decent forward Accrington line. I thought Vickers grew in to the game and made two excellent stops in the second half. Walker looks a very good prospect, I was impressed at how many headers he won and how good he was at linking up play. He'll be disappointed not to score one or two goals today, but I have no doubt he'll get a decent tally this year.

The evolution in Cowley football just took two steps forward. It reminded me of the opening day of Schofield's tenure, where we played some masterful football. This, for a team that has barely had chance to gel with a leading striker that signed the day before. We played neat pass and move football, at times Accrington were struggling to cope. I realise that Accrington are unlikely to be 'up there' come the end of the season, but it brings me confidence that we won't be in a relegation battle this season. That said, we are still a couple of players short (defender, midfielder and maybe a striker). I think we'll start to see some movement next week as I think we've seen Bruno play his last game. He was never a tough tackler, but he definitely bottled a tackle late on and was berated by his team mates for it. At the end of the match he was straight down the tunnel. Only time will tell with what happens.

Important to not get too far ahead of ourselves, but it was a brilliant start to life in League one.

Last edited:
DC alluded on radio to Bolger being very ill last night and almost not playing up to 1pm. In the circumstances he, Bostwick and O'Connor were amazing.

Pett was in the Fanzone before game (in leg brace) - knee ligament damage, he said he was hoping to be back in around three weeks, possibly by MK game.

DC alluded on radio to Bolger being very ill last night and almost not playing up to 1pm. In the circumstances he, Bostwick and O'Connor were amazing.

Pett was in the Fanzone before game (in leg brace) - knee ligament damage, he said he was hoping to be back in around three weeks, possibly by MK game.

Bolger suffering from a nasty stomach bug so his efforts today worthy of merit all things considered
If it been me I’d struggle getting my shoes on never mind playing professional football in today’s conditions

Uti

Bolger suffering from a nasty stomach bug so his efforts today worthy of merit all things considered
If it been me I’d struggle getting my shoes on never mind playing professional football in today’s conditions

Uti

He was a warrior away at Newport as he had a Nasty cut to the face.

Had a couple of Timothy Taylor landlord after the match. Do not usually drink beer. But heck what the hell!

3 points!

I think we will do alright this season